• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another 6DJ8...Amperex...Made In Gt Britain?

ODYOFAEL

The Voice of Vintage HiFi
I thought all Amperex 6DJ8 tubes were mostly made in Holland and USA. I have a pair that says Made in Gt Britain. They also have the letter at the bottom, seams on top and codes GA2 B9J4 and B9L3 on the other one. It they're from the the UK, could these be Mullards? I also have a 6DJ8 RCA and says Made in W Germany...is this made by Seimens? So many tubes, so many makes! :no:​
tubesforsale023.jpg

tubesforsale024.jpg

tubesforsale017.jpg

tubesforsale021.jpg
 

Attachments

  • tubes for sale 006.jpg
    tubes for sale 006.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 27
Register to hide this ad
"B" in the code is Mullard Blackburn plant... certainly Mullards, 1969. Many of the RCA 6DJ8s were made by Siemens.
 
Judging by the plate structure, your RCA was made in Russia. They stamped made in Germany on them so that they could be imported into the U.S. probably made in the period where we were not very friendly with Russia.
 
Yup. Russian flying saucer getter.

Not every manufacturer made every tube. If they ran short they would by from someone else and sell the tube with their label on it.

Some where on the internet is a list of all of the tube codes manufactures used.

I have some Amperex PQs7643 made in Holland that were made by Valvo. Mullard labeled 7643 made by Valvo. Mullard made 7643 made by Mullard,

Best from tucson
Bob
 
Well, I started rolling tubes the other day and I'm not sure hoe to really describe the sound but comparing these UK Amperex to the Holland large and small halo getter 6DJ8/ECC88, the Holland tubes are warmer and I would say tubier as the UK ones. The UK made 6DJ8's where a little on the bright/forward sound or is that what we call a more detailed sound, presence...like you can touch the singer?​
 
:yes: I have a pair of NOS RCA-labeled 12AX7s with GE markings.

There is no doubt in my mind. But those 6DJ8 tubes sure do look like Mullard construction and manufacture code. But also are clearly labeled W Germany. And the "RCA" ink looks smeared and very dark for "Genuine" RCA. So the jury is out on this one.
 
...And the "RCA" ink looks smeared and very dark for "Genuine" RCA. So the jury is out on this one.

Heard a story about a similar tube, 6ES8 IIRC, a remote cutoff twin triode with the same pinout, http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/106/6/6ES8.pdf being relabeled "6DJ8" and sold to guitar amp customers. As guitar amp work involves controlled distortion effects, they figured that the customer wouldn't know the difference... :thumbsdn: Someone taking otherwise nearly worthless tubes and making fake gold of them. Maybe your 6DJ8 is one of these. :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom