• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Another failed unit, integrated amp this time.

Art, why don't you use this stuff? Does it interfere with sound quality? I think we need surge supression here. Some people here have whole house surge protection.

I've never found a product or heard one that didn't change tyhe quality of sound in a way I did not like. I use a surge protector for sources and my TV in the HT. I don't use it with the AVR or CD player in that room. All 2 channel setups are plugged directly in to the wall. In my 2 channel room I have dedicated mains and 2 upgrade power sockets and that is it. If I lived in tornado alley (which I used to) I would use a protection, detrimental to sound or not.
 
Thanks for the input. Very interesting. This is definitely an area for me to study. I am going to get a good power conditioner/surge protector immediately for each system.

We have frequent short power outages. They can be just one or a few houses or a big part of town. Mostly from snow causing tree branches to hang on the lines. I am told that when the power comes back on it surges. Actually I am 8 miles from city center and 6 miles from the city line, in the forest.

We don't really have unusually high snow fall here, but we have a lot of power lines in the trees. One time when the snow was especially high and we had no power for 5 weeks! No discount on the bill either. The power company is a "co-op", customer owned. Since the meter was stopped they charged the minimum rate. They said their cost was higher that month so no break because they were working to get it back on. I pointed out that I was paying for electricity, not for their lack of maintenance keeping the trees cut back from the lines. No big deal but fun to tease them.

I don't think I need to go for the high end back-up power type or the 12 volt converter. The dealer recommends the conditioner for music and just a good surge protector for the TV etc.
 
Good news...the dealer fixed the Rotel 1070 for $120.

That's awesome! The RCD 1070 was my "gateway drug" into higher-fidelity after a couple decades of vintage gear.

As to your quote of it's original price, not sure why/if it would be doubled in Alaska. They actually had an origianl MSRP of $699 but could be found a bit cheaper depending on the dealer. (Mine was the full $699 however)
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/rotel-rcd1070_e.html
Although they were $1,699 in New Zealand.
http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2003/rotel_rcd-1070.shtml

They are a pretty good bargain still on the used market. Yours is the first I have heard fail. They are usually pretty bullet proof.

Did the tech say what the problem was?
 
Good news...the dealer fixed the Rotel 1070 for $120.

That's great news. I loved living in Fairbanks, but I hated the lack of access to things that we take for granted in the larger cities in the lower 48. Everything becomes a lot more expensive due to shipping as well.
 
Hi Brett. I bought the amp used. I got the retail price here:
Rotel Model Archives
http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/archives/rotel
We have only one HiFi store here. MWalt may be familiar with Shimeks of Anchorage who now have a store in Fairbanks. Before that we had hifi store Hoitts which is now only car stereos. Shimeks carries Rotel and B&W but is not ordering new Rotel gear. I bought their last Rotel AVR floor model. They have a couple good guys in the Fairbanks store and the owner in Anchorage is a real hifi enthusiast. He was the Rogers speaker dealer back in the day which was lucky for me and I still have my old LS35a.
As MWalt said we have limited choices here.
I got into Rega and Quad from my "snow bird" trips to Seattle. I see Brett has Vienna Accoustics which I heard in Seattle. I like them too.
 
That's great news. I loved living in Fairbanks, but I hated the lack of access to things that we take for granted in the larger cities in the lower 48. Everything becomes a lot more expensive due to shipping as well.

You can say that again!
We have no electronic repair shop. The guy in the basement of the guitar store left town. Lucky that Shimeks does repair the gear they sell which is a good reason to buy locally as I did for my new HT.
Not much of a music scene, not being on the normal tour circuit.
When were you here? I have been here about 35yrs. I was a snow bird for 18 yrs but started staying year round again 7 yrs ago. I was reared in Seattle but got sick of the rain and traffic so I moved north after much traveling around.
 
You can say that again!
We have no electronic repair shop. The guy in the basement of the guitar store left town. Lucky that Shimeks does repair the gear they sell which is a good reason to buy locally as I did for my new HT.
Not much of a music scene, not being on the normal tour circuit.
When were you here? I have been here about 35yrs. I was a snow bird for 18 yrs but started staying year round again 7 yrs ago. I was reared in Seattle but got sick of the rain and traffic so I moved north after much traveling around.

I lived there for 4 years while I was still in the Army from around 2000 to
2004. I lived in North Pole for over a year and then moved into quarters on Ft. Wainwright. I could easily live in Alaska again, especially since I wouldn't have to live outside if I was a civilian. I miss the salmon, moose steaks, and fried halibut!
 
MWalt, it would be great to spend more time fishing, camping and touring but like anywhere we get too busy. I retired but now am rebuilding the old house and helping my wife gardening. We eat a lot of Alaskan fish but from other's catching.
 
That's awesome! The RCD 1070 was my "gateway drug" into higher-fidelity after a couple decades of vintage gear.

They are a pretty good bargain still on the used market. Yours is the first I have heard fail. They are usually pretty bullet proof.

Did the tech say what the problem was?

Sorry, I missed that question. The salesman said that it was "a couple of burned out resistors". I didn't talk to the actual repairman. Well it sounds good now.
Another tech who is looking at my failed Onix amp says that I need to be careful with connecting speaker wires because residual power remaining in the unit can short out on the body and cause damage. It is true that I have been moving my gear around and reconnecting a lot.

I guess all my 'mid fi' gear is my gateway drug. I keep getting different pieces in the general value range and never really moving up to really high end.
 
Back
Top Bottom