• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another faulty vinyl purchase

aeberbach

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A few weeks ago I saw a mention of Great Grandpa's "Patience Moonbeam" - I listened to it, loved it, ordered it. There was some some kind of confusion with the order and when I followed up it was apparent it wasn't going to arrive before the removalists come tomorrow to pack up all my stuff to move internationally. So I got on the train, went in to the place that sold it, and picked up my copy.

This is the problem...
IMG_0510.jpeg
There are a few of these bumps clustered around the area but the main one shown here is like a wart, maybe 2mm high! There's no way a needle will track through that and there don't even appear to be any tracks to follow. The vinyl is a blue mixed with gold splashes, it's kind of nice but I would be just as happy with plain black as long as it plays properly. I suppose now I will be picking up another copy in the week remaining - if they have any more copies, this may have been the last - and weighing up whether I should put it in checked luggage with all the extremes of temperature and handling that involves.

At least when I was out picking this up I chanced on Rocksteady Records near the corner of Elizabeth and Lonsdale St, Melbourne. Nice store! I picked up "A Moon Shaped Pool" and "Helplessness Blues"... still early days for my collection.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
@aeberbach

I feel your pain...

You know you need to take it back. And in your position, I would absolutely open the replacement copy in front of the store staff, just to cover yourself. Who knows? You may need to open two or three! :thumbsup:

Present-day vinyl record production standards seem to range from utterly appalling to slightly warped, but (almost) acceptable, unless you are bloody lucky!

We do have a handful of pressings from the last 25-years and we have been quite lucky to snag some pristine examples. That said, we have had our share of dogs, which is why I stopped buying present-day vinyl pressings.

I know that there are some very exclusive labels that make a dependably pristine job of their LP pressings, but most of them are priced well beyond what we would be prepared to pay, to try a new album. Even if it was a mint all-analog remaster of my favourite (say) 1978 album, I would still prefer to buy a NM original pressing from a reputable trader.
[Yes, there are a few reputable traders on DISCOGS with whom I regularly trust my hard-earned...]

After culling 70% of our collection of original vinyl pressings - before leaving New Zealand - we still own more than 3000 LPs and we truly love listening to them. It is a daily activity and our turntable is easily my favourite appliance. But I have to confess: If I was a younger man and listened to mostly post-Y2K music, I simply wouldn't bother with vinyl. The new vinyl software is just too patchy and disappointing.

Besides, most recordings from the last ten years sound simply sensational - even in digital format! - so why take the risk?

This... From a devoted vinyl addict!!!

Anyway, I've had my whinge... back to the collecting of sumptuous new vinyl records! :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
My four worst pressings are all Colored Vinyl purchased within the past 6 months.

Bladerunner Black Lotus LP is not a very good pressing but it was 12$ (they must have known it was crap) so I just bought another one.

The volume is at least one half of a normal black vinyl.

The Midnight "Monsters" I tried two pressings and they both have cross modulation distortion in the very first track.

It's a very loud Ripping/Scratch sound that tests my speakers (They don't need testing).

I would pay double if I could just get a good Black LP.
 
I returned 3 copies of David Gilmours newest album Luck and Strange due to poor quality (scratched out of the package). I just gave up on vinyl for that album and will stream it if I want to listen. It was colored vinyl (teal translucent) for whatever that's worth.
 
Back
Top Bottom