• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another Heresy/Cornwall thread

Fear3000

New Member
My Heresy are from '84. I updated the x-overs with caps from Crites and the midrange diaphragms, as well, remounted/sealed the drivers, deadened the back panel and installed binding posts. I run the Heresy with a sub.

There's a set of Cornwall for sale locally with Crites x-overs. AFAIK, they're a few years older than my Heresy. In a perfect world, I'd like a speaker that improves on the Heresy by offering more detail and a smoother, slightly less aggressive presentation. Is the Cornwall such an animal, or am I essentially looking at a Heresy with more/deeper bass? Thanks.

Felix
 
Register to hide this ad
I have only heard Heresys once and I found them to be rather impressive for their size. The Cornwalls are not just a bigger version of them but are very impressive. My Cornwalls produce the best soundstage I have ever had and are a real tight, smooth speaker. I recently recapped mine and replaced the diaphragms in the mids and tweeters so they are technically back in spec. If you have a chance to snag them they should easily replace the Heresys as your main speaker and should stay where you put them until K-Horns arrive someday.
 
The Heresy was originally designed to be a center speaker for the Khorns. Then the Cornwall came a long as a more robust center speaker for the Khorns. Funny thing is the Khorn with center speakers I have seen were Belle's.

I spent several years listening to Heresys on all types of setups. Never heard them with subwoofers. A very impressive speaker.

I recently acquired a pair of Cornwall 1's and I can assure you that you can use the subs somewhere else. I am very pleased with them. I prefer them over the Chorus II's they replaced.
 
I own both and purchased them new. I too added a sub to Heresy II and finally did the same to my Cornwalls with new Crites "Type B" networks. My Cornwalls have a smoother sound and more of a "Warm" tube like sound yet I use a HD AVR on them. To my ears the Cornwalls have a smoother more blended sound. My guess the much larger cabinet and the 15" woofers.
I now use my Cornrs for my fronts in my HT system(and stereo) and now that they are in a smaller room they have never sounded better. If my smaller room had 4 corners my HII would be my rears for HT use(bedroom fronts now). If I had to keep one and sell the other the Cornwalls win. I did raise up my HII on stands so the mid drivers are at ear level and the sub made Huge difference. I should have done that 10 years ago. The Cornwalls do what you have posted , slightly less agressive presentantion (more balanced sound) and a smoother deeper sounding bass. If you have them in a large room add a sub for the Cornwall too. I did:thmbsp: and have have gain turned down low for just enough LFE that I FEEL the bass without the volume being at 90Db. IMHO my advise to you is if the used Cornwalls you are nice looking and are price right and you can listen to them first I bet you will take them home.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/43284454@N04/7756547930/][/URL]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/43284454@N04/6017984632/][/URL]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/43284454@N04/7511947970/][/URL]

I know the room is a mess with all the fans it's been 107 here in Ft.Worth and my A/C needs the help. I am retired:banana:(this year) and home all day now recording on my R2R or spining vinyl. Hope this helps if you have not seen the inside of a Cornwall you will notice just how big the bass bin is. That warm
Boxie" or "Woodie" sound that some describe a Cornwall vs a Heresy. I also remember PWK used a vertical (1st model) Cornwall as a center for Klipschorns too as he used the Heresy for the same too. FYI. Hope the pic's and this info helps.
Louis
 
Last edited:
I recently acquired a pair of Cornwall 1's and I can assure you that you can use the subs somewhere else. I am very pleased with them. I prefer them over the Chorus II's they replaced.


I'm curious what makes them preferable over the Chorus IIs (especially since I have Chorus IIs but not Cornwalls)?
I've seen some say the Chorus IIs sound better. I know we all have different likes so I'm wondering what drives your overall favor torwards the Cornwalls.

Regarding the Heresy w/sub vs. Cornwall debate, I've seen several consistent comments in past threads that also indicate the Cornwall is more than a Heresy with bass. I was wondering the same thing months ago and determined that Cornwall/Chorus or maybe Forte was the right way to go vs. Heresy.
 
I also have both and I would want a sub with either of them even though the cornwalls do have much better bass. I only have one sub so I use the sub with the hersey's and have my kg 5.5's hooked up with the cornwalls to add some tighter bass. I think there's more of a difference than just the bass, I think the cornwall sound stage is wider and I prefer mids and highs of the cornwalls over the hersey's. But I've got to say I love them both and would hate to part with either.
 
I also have both and I would want a sub with either of them even though the cornwalls do have much better bass. I only have one sub so I use the sub with the hersey's and have my kg 5.5's hooked up with the cornwalls to add some tighter bass. I think there's more of a difference than just the bass, I think the cornwall sound stage is wider and I prefer mids and highs of the cornwalls over the hersey's. But I've got to say I love them both and would hate to part with either.

If you have a small room like I do I was "Suprised" that a used $200.00 Klipsch Sub 12" 300/650 watt BASH amp sub worked Great with my Cornwalls and same with my HII. I have owned a Sunfire that I used many years ago and after it fried (again) I tried one these used entry level Sub 12" and have been happy for with them for about 5 years now. The smaller Sub 10" had some power supply issues blowing fuses etc so all of the Synergy Subs got a bad rap. I have the gain turned down low and they fill in the LFE great for HT or stereo music ...... if you have a small room.............. Pass on them if your have tall ceilings and large open room with tile or wood flooring.
 
Last edited:
If you have a small room like I do I was "Suprised" that a used $200.00 Klipsch Sub 12" 300/650 watt BASH amp sub worked Great with my Cornwalls and same with my HII. I have owned a Sunfire that I used many years ago and after it fried (again) I tried one these used entry level Sub 12" and have been happy for with them for about 5 years now. The smaller Sub 10" had some power supply issues blowing fuses etc so all of the Synergy Subs got a bad rap. I have the gain turned down low and they fill in the LFE great for HT or stereo music ...... if you have a small room.............. Pass on them if your have tall ceilings and large open room with tile or wood flooring.

Thanks Lab for your input, I love to hear everyone's opinions. In my room upstairs the Sub 12 would more than likely be all I would need. It's the main living room and my wife hates music that's very loud and also hates my large speakers, that's why the Hersey's are up there with the sub. I've been on the lookout for a local Klipsch sub at a good price but so far I haven't found one. Also I've been watching Newegg for a RW-12 to go on sale again for 300 but seems every time they go on sale I'm broke. I really don't have any experience with Klipsch subs and only can go by what I have read so I'm all ears to peoples personal stories and opinions.
I've read the horror stories on the Sunfire subs, I must have been fairly lucky with mine. I have to say though when I bought it new in 97 it went out in the first week of owning it. It was replaced by the store I bought it from and knock on wood it has performed flawlessly since then. I haven't really ever turned it up very much and it has only been used for my two channel listening, so I suppose it's had a pretty easy life.
 
Back
Top Bottom