• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Another new/used table

This is one of the Dual 1219's that I bought from Germany. It has the CK20 plinth and the CH20 dust cover.

The dust cover and hinges were busted in transit. The power cord had been cut as well as the audio connector removed.

I replaced the plastic hinges and used acrylic glue to fix the cracks in the dust cover. Because I give myself a shot every two weeks, I used a syringe with a 25 gauge needle to apply the glue.

Replaced the motor, power switch box and pulley. At first I added two rca connectors. But that introduced a really loud hum.

The audio cable actually had 4 wires plus two ground wires. I removed the audio cable and add two female rca connectors.

I clipped the tonearm and resoldered them to the muting switch. This cleared up the hum as well as the audio. After an hour or so of adjusting the muting switch, I now have audio and no hum. YaY.

The only issue now is the tonearm not moving to the record in multi play. It lifts up, the record drops, but the tonearm lowers back onto the rest and shuts off the table.

I tried cycling the table with the arm locked in place, but that didn't help. I was hoping to avoid it, but guess that next weekend I'll be replacing the rubber washer and relubbing the bearings.
 

Attachments

  • 20200302_171042.jpg
    20200302_171042.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200302_171103.jpg
    20200302_171103.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200302_171125.jpg
    20200302_171125.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200302_171150.jpg
    20200302_171150.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200302_171232.jpg
    20200302_171232.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200302_171243.jpg
    20200302_171243.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200302_171250.jpg
    20200302_171250.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200302_171848.jpg
    20200302_171848.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200302_172635.jpg
    20200302_172635.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200302_172715.jpg
    20200302_172715.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 61
Register to hide this ad
That thing with the arm raising itself, then going all groundhog, seeing its shadow and deciding not to play a record today, I have a 1229Q that does the same thing in single play.
All other functions are perfect, just won't start when you use the start lever.
 
Sounds like a worn or hardened steuerpimpel or broken dearing ring.

I have both and will change them this coming weekend if I have the time. I was so happy to get rid of the hum that I had to post.

I have 4 different Shure cartridges and 5 sleds. The Shure styluses are basically too worn. So I mounted a VS240LC cartridge with a new (I think ATN12XE) stylus. But did buy a new 78 RPM stylus to use with one of them.
 
On my 1229q, I ended up having to lightly sand (400 grit), lube with alvania and very slightly bend the “swing arm” that contacts the steuerpimple to get it working, as I suspect the table was dropped at some point. (Had to also straighten the cueing lever to get it to ‘notch’ up.)

A total clean, relube + new ball bearings in the tone arm shaft that comes through the table were also helpful. Service manual is pretty awesome as far as having trouble shooting procedures, descriptions of how the mechanisms work, etc. I found it helpful to put labels on the key parts temporarily as this really helps to simplify the mind bending complexity of some of the descriptions.

if you can support the turntable along two edges such that you can shine a light and watch the mechanism from underneath is really helpful to isolate what is going on during operation and where in the process things get off track. A glass coffee table could work too if there’s adequate light and low glare.

Some folks build invertible stands, but the constant platter removal becomes a chore.
 
I have both and will change them this coming weekend if I have the time. I was so happy to get rid of the hum that I had to post.

I have 4 different Shure cartridges and 5 sleds. The Shure styluses are basically too worn. So I mounted a VS240LC cartridge with a new (I think ATN12XE) stylus. But did buy a new 78 RPM stylus to use with one of them.

Keep an eye out for a V15-III DU or LM model cartdrige. 'regular' V-15III carts go for a lot of money, but the DU models, because the body is replaced with the Dual sled can often be gotten for a song. I paid ~50 bucks for a DU model on eBay and with a Jico SAS or Vividline line contact stylus are an awesome match for the Qs low mass tonearm. Also, because they are pre-aligned, setup is a breeze, no need for alignment tool.
 
One of the Shure cartridges is a v15 type iv. Another is m91ed and a m95ed/g or m. I forget what the 4th shure cartridge is.

I have to admit, I hardly know anything about Dual turntables and even less about Shure cartridges.
 
Last edited:
Nice score on the Shure selection and the sleds! All good carts in my opinion and fun to change out for different coloration. Those sleds without carts go for $30/40 each so nicely done.

Meant to say, that front opening cart/accessory holder on your plinth looks to be an awesome feature. Such a thoughtful and efficient OEM German design for 33s/45s/78s. Always at hand and no digging around in an 'audio drawer,' basket or other for carts, multiplay spindle, 45 adapter, etc. + the spring loaded sleds make it easy to swap carts painlessly w/o having to redo alignment, etc.
 
A couple of weeks ago I scored the as-12 45 rpm stacker/changer for $62. A few days ago one sold for $250.00 on Ebay.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20200229-150554_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200229-150554_eBay.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6
Just got home. I ordered a JICO VN-45HE from Amazon for the Shure V15 Type IV. The original stylus had the tip of the diamond broken off. The VN-45HE will be here on Saturday.

The other carts are:

Shure M91ED original stylus-Good
Shure M91MGD very dirty stylus
Shure M95ED w/Shure N97HE that appears to be missing the diamond.
 
Back
Top Bottom