• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another nice audio day with a cool turntable find (Garrard 4HF (H))

Arkay

Lunatic Member
This evening was another interesting one for audio, which I thought I'd share.

A couple days ago, the dealer from whom I'm getting the Yamaha 101M told me it would be returned and available today (it was out on loan to his friend). It's return has been delayed several times, stretching to a couple of months, but this time it sounded more certain, so I went by today to find out...

The beast is mine!...

YES! It was there. I had the money for it sitting ready in reserve for some weeks, but dipped into it recently to pay for some other things. I explained this to the guy, and --under the circumstances, since I had waited so long already, he laughingly agreed to let me pay for it in installments, however I wished. Whew! It'll be coming home in a month or so from now, at the latest, but in any event it is "mine" and will be joining my main system. :banana:

I examined it closely: there are a few teensy-tiny scratches along the edges of the two handles in front, and a few on the left-channel volume knob, but they were only visible when I was shining my LED flashlight on them, and looking from close-up; from beyond a foot or two, or in normal lighting, they are invisible. Overall, this is in GREAT cosmetic shape, especially for something around twenty years old -- it's a beauty!

It's a 100V model. I recently learned that there were THREE of these sold in Hong Kong in years past, that were wired by Yamaha for 220V. I believe the two they sold into the German market were also 220V, but I haven't confirmed any others. While I'd prefer a 220V version, I think those are basically "unobtanium", and I'm more than happy to settle for a 100V version. I have a 7500 watt extreme isolation transformer that has 100V taps; that should be big enough to feed this hungry beast well enough, and I have a Japanese "audiophile grade" power strip I can wire up to that, to plug both channels of this into. Eventually I'll run a separate dedicated line for it, as well. This is the last "weak link" in my main system (except for cables, perhaps: I have "decent" cables, not "audiophile" cables, but that is not such a big deal to me, at least at this stage.)


Comparing GT TTs...

I noticed the dealer had a GT-750 hooked up to the system, and asked him how it sounded, and how it compared to the GT-2000. He said he'd never done a comparison, but he thought the GT-750 sounded pretty darned good. He offered to let me hear it, and proceeded to play a record.

I had to agree; it sounded quite good. No way for me to make a fair comparison with my GT-2000, because this was using a different cartridge (low-end Ortofon with a poor stylus), different gear chain altogether, in a very different listening environment. Still, the impression I had was that this was a very good TT by most standards, but still not quite up to the level of the GT-2000. There was a GT-750 platter lying around (from another TT), and I picked it up and examined it. It was nowhere near as heavy and solid as the GT-2000 platter, nor was it made the same way. Heavy and massive by ordinary standards, it was still clearly not in the same league of sheer mass as the GT-2000 platter.

***

While I was there, the same guy who was there recently with a $3000 Kondo cable came in again, this time with a decent but budget-level power cable he had bought off of eBay. (I get the feeling he likes to hang out there, and likes "cable rolling!" :yes: :D) The 101M caught his eye, too, and we talked about it, and other things.

A CD surprise...

Then a bit more elderly (sixties?) gentleman came in to audition some speakers, large late 40s or 50s ones (sorry, I didn't get the model number). He had brought in some CDs to play.demo them with. Interestingly, one of the ones he pulled out was a local Chinese CD that I bought new back in the 1980s, after my wife and I saw the particular artist in concert. The other guy immediately checked it, and saw it was black. Too bad, he explained: this CD was issued in three colors: the original was orange. Something happened to the masters from that (I think they were lost in a fire), and it was re-done and re-released in the black and the white versions. Collectors have churned the price of those original orange CDs up over US$300 each. :yikes: I came home and confirmed it...mine is the original and valuable orange version! :banana: Hanging on to my original locally-bought CDs from when I first started buying CDs has turned out to be a great investment: I've been discovering that a number of them have gone way up in value in recent years, just as this one has. (Of course, it's only meaningful if I sell, which I don't intend to, but it's still nice! :D)

I spent some enjoyable time listening to the system while the elderly gentleman guy was evaluating the speakers, and discussing audio with him. He's been an audiophile (in the good sense of the word) for over thirty years, and has owned a LOT of gear, including original Marantz tube stuff and many other fine things. We discussed the strengths and weaknesses of the old speakers he was listening to, and he said he almost preferred their limited range to the more clinical and exact full-range modern speakers, even though with age he could no longer really hear the high-end treble. He valued musicality and a lack of listener fatigue more than complete realism, etc... It was an interesting listening session and discussions, and a very pleasant way to pass some time.

THE FIRST GARRARD:


At one point, before those guys came in, I had noticed a bit of a dusty-looking Garrard 401 peeking out from under some rumpled newspapers and plastic bags on the floor level of a big gear display rack along one wall. It looked like someone had just tossed it there like so much trash. I laughingly commented to the dealer that only in a shop like his would a TT that nice be left there that way!

He laughted, too, and told me that someone had brought it in for repair/renovation of the plinth. He said (quite correctly) that the papers and bags on top weren't hurting it and might be keeping further dust off it, but also admitted that the owner probably wouldn't like it if he saw his beloved TT sitting there that way.

He then commented that he didn't quite understand why the Garrard 301s and 401s fetched such high prices, when the GT-2000 actually sounds better than either of them, yet costs a lot less. We concluded it was probably partly nostalgia, partly reputation, and partly supply-and-demand that accounted for it (301s/401s are rarer, at least in Japan, where the price escalation was driven from over the years).

A few Lencos....

After I left that shop, I walked around some other audio shops. In one, I saw a Lenco L75 sitting next to a Lenco L70. I don't think I've ever seen an L70 before, so I made note of it and decided to look it up later. I was slightly tempted by it, because alongside a few L75s, I already have two other Lenco models (B52 and L85)... that evil "collector's urge" to further "complete the set" almost reared it's head, but then sanity prevailed and I walked away. Ten minutes later, I found another L75 in a different shop. The first one had been priced at $175, but this one was marked at $285. Both were in working condition; as far as I could see, the only difference was that the second one had had its plinth oiled. Again, I was tempted to snap up the "bargain" first one, but only for a few seconds. I have enough L75s, at least for now.

I'm not acquiring anything, unless it is REALLY "special" (to me). But soon enough, I find something "special" enough that I DO get it...


FIND OF THE NIGHT: THE SECOND GARRARD!

I then went over to look at some of the used-audio wholesale places. When I got to the place where I recently bought the Marantz 2325, I looked around and didn't see much at first. I was getting ready to leave, when I saw a horizontal/top-loading type cassette deck on top of a stack. I always check these, hoping to find a Marantz one, but again no luck :no:, at least as far as the Marantz idea goes --this was just an Akai 46 series one; I have at least one of those in storage to get rid of, as it is. Then I notice that it is sitting on top of something that looks like it might be interesting...

I lift the Akai off, and sitting underneath it, find a very, very cool-looking vintage Garrard with a big, heavy platter reminiscent (in size, at least) of the one on the 301s! From the molded top plate and big, relatively massive tonearm, I figure this is a mid-fifties design. I decide within seconds that "I WANT THIS!" I pick it up and look at the mechanism underneath... it has a BIG platter bearing housing on the scale of that in the 301, a nice motor, and a large idler-wheel drive mechanism. It is a LOT like the 301, in various details, althouigh in some ways (tonearm wiring, for example) a bit simplified, and frankly, I think this thing looks MUCH prettier than any 301 ever did! It has all four speeds, and a very interesting-looking speed-control/adjustment system. Very nice build quality overall, for a fifties design. (I've since read that it was in production from 1955 to 1965, and was considered "the best" TT for at least part of that time period.) The model number on the badge on top reads "4HF (H)". It appears to be in excellent shape, except that the headshell and cartridge are missing. :sigh: (I suspect someone may have wanted to keep those for the sound, or perhaps to sell separately for more money? Or maybe the thing broke, and they threw it out?).

Still, even without the headshell this thing is way too cool-looking, and various details like that bearing housing, motor and idler wheel are just too promising to pass it up. I ask the price, and quickly make the deal, getting it for the asking price of $30. It's worth that much to me, just to let it sit there so I can look at it, but I suspect it may sound very good, and will probably supplant my Collaro 456 as my vintage mono player of choice.

I later come home and look it up: the platter bearing and motor and some other parts on it are IDENTICAL to those on the 301; it's basically the slightly cheaper consumer version of the studio-oriented 301, and considered a very nice TT! :banana: The platter is slightly less massive, but not too inferior. Since the bearing is identical to the oil-bearing 301, as is the motor, one might even put a 301 platter on it, although I think I'll leave mine stock. The whole big platter is covered with rubber, as if the mat "flowed" around the sides, where the 301 has the strobe patterns. I've found conflicting comments on whether the idler wheel is identical or slightly different; when I get the chance, I'll carry it to a local dealer/friend who has some 301s around, and compare them more closely.

I've found that this model is "famously" used by some Jamaican/UK reggae-oriented deejay named Shaka or Jah Shakah, for whatever that is worth. :dunno: One reason is that the relatively massive tonearm resists resonance in the presence of very heavy bass sound. Not too important to me, since I haven't cranked skull-crushing bass levels since teenage years. :D

The original cartridge was a ceramic type, with a high output level and a good sound to it. The TT appears to be a bit of a "sleeper" but may have something of a small cult following. One is on ePay at $123 with five days to go; another has a starting bid of $499, one is for sale in Europe for 299 Euros, and one sold on Yahoo Japan recently for a whopping US$730. :scratch2: .... Those Japanese know a few things about Garrards. I'm thinking about the earlier conversation I had with the dealer about the 301s/401s (described above). The Japanese were the ones who tipped the world off to the potential hidden in the 301s/401s ... do they value this TT, too, or is it valued just for the parts it can supply to 301 owners? :dunno: Anyway, I would have paid the thirty bucks I did just for the decorative value alone of this beauty, but now I think I got a great deal on what is probably a very nice TT, indeed! It won't replace my GT-2000 as King of the Hill, but I just may well be the Queen of the Mono corner!

Now I'll have to find the headshell and cartridge for it. I'm pretty sure I know who has one for sale (he has a number of old Garrard shells, and I remember seeing one among them that looked correct), and while it won't be cheap from him, given how little I paid for the rest of the TT, it should be worth it overall.
The cables are too old, too short (very probably not original) and need upgrading; I may use one of my carefully-rationed Petra cables (that AKer pdba helped me get! :thmbsp:) on this, or I might even install RCA jacks for cable-rolling, esp. if I go with an original-type (high output) ceramic cart; if I use a magnetic cart, then I'll probably hard-wire the Petra cable.

I didn't recognize this TT at all when I was looking at it in situ, but after coming home and looking it up, I realized that I remember seeing it online before with a very different plinth: the thin, rounded metal version in white with red trim (first thumbnail below). The one I found is in a more conventional rectangular wooden plinth (more like the second thumbnail below), which looks original, too, and is in great shape. Some of these were apparently built into "suitcase" style players with tube amps inside, too. At this point, I'm thinking about plinth options, and may make a massive (slightly enlarged and mostly solid) version of the curved metal white one, perhaps with a slab of slate(?); curves that follow the top plate curves seems to be the most eye-catching design. I might modify it, extending it in the back to to allow a better (long) tonearm to be added as well... will think about it before deciding.

Yes, I know I'm supposed to be downsizing, and I AM doing that... but this thing was just too cool to pass up. I've never seen one of these in-the-flesh before, might never find another one, and I think it was terrific value-for-money (at least to me), so I have no regrets. I have plenty of stuff I'd be willing to get rid of, to make room for this old oddball TT. I'm getting rid of a LOT of other stuff, anyway. It'll work out in the end, somehow. :D

I found only a couple of mentions of this model in an AK search. Who else here has this? Comments, suggestions, and hints at what I should expect from it would be most welcome.

Some pics of this TT are here:
http://www.lab-audio.com/images/labaudio_garrad_4hf/viewer.swf

There is a very cool OLD (1931) song being played on one of these, here: http://www.video91.com/K5Auwt5_DCk/...n-i-take-my-sugar-to-tea-1931-Garrard-4HF.see Some better-sounding records being played on this TT are on YouTube and here: http://www.video91.com/4hf/page1.html

I'm attaching some more pics, blatantly stolen from that auction site and some other sites...

EDIT/UPDATE: I found the user's manual for this TT online, and downloaded it, for free!
 

Attachments

  • Garrard 4H (H) 6.jpg
    Garrard 4H (H) 6.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Garrard 4H (H) 8.jpg
    Garrard 4H (H) 8.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Garrard 4HF(H)  5.JPG
    Garrard 4HF(H) 5.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Garrard 4HF(H)  7.JPG
    Garrard 4HF(H) 7.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Garrard 4HF(H)  4.jpg
    Garrard 4HF(H) 4.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Well, it's got a big bearing, but that motor is not anywhere near as robust as on the 301/401 turntables, nor is the chassis. I can see similar styling cues though.
 
Congratulations on finally getting your 101M. :banana:


The Garrard is an interesting proposition.There is a lot of buzz about idlers at the moment.I'd like to hear one on a well-sorted system,head to head with a couple of leading lights of the Belt and Direct Drive camps.
 
Well, it's got a big bearing, but that motor is not anywhere near as robust as on the 301/401 turntables, nor is the chassis. I can see similar styling cues though.

The bearing really is identical, --or very nearly so, down to the little fill tube on the side. Not sure about the motor; I, too, thought it was a little bit smaller, but several websites say it is identical; not one said it was smaller or different. However, a lot of people online seem to pass on "myths" without firsthand verification --I may have done the same in this instance(?)-- so perhaps they are different. Eventually, I'll be able to sit these two TTs side-by-side for firsthand measurement and inspection, and will report the results when I do.

It doesn't matter too much to me; there is enough build quality, mass, etc... in this thing to make it more than worth what I paid, at least. In fact, as I said I think the "cool factor" in its appearance is already worth it! :D I'm also pretty sure that, like most idler-drive TTs, it will benefit greatly from a careful re-build and from remounting in a massive plinth. It SHOULD be a very nice TT when this has been done, esp. for a mono system (which is my intention at this point, despite it having the wiring for either mono or stereo, according to the user's manual). I recently picked up a 12" Goodman's Axiom full-range speaker, which I'll probably use (open baffle) as the main speaker for the mono system, augmented by a sub and a supertweeter. The biggest problem will only be finiding room to set it up, in my shrinking apartment space!

Congratulations on finally getting your 101M. :banana:

Thanks! My system is "filling in" nicely, in terms of gear that I don't/won't feel any need to (or know any reasonable place/way to) upgrade from. After that, it will be just a matter of a few "fun" DIY projects or oddball things like the TT in this thread, and refining the software (music collection). I'll be digitizing my CD collection into a computer-based music server, etc... which will be time-consuming enough!

Although I've "got" the 101M, it won't be coming home for a few weeks, and it may not get hooked up until several weeks after that. I'm going to leave it packed up with the rest of the main system until the big clear-out and the tearing out of the "illegal" roof over my patio-room (storage room) and the redecoration of that space is completed. I'm applying for a 90-day extension for that, as it is. I'm really looking forward to hearing the "final" system, but it will be a while yet before it is actually singing. At least I should have years after that, in which to enjoy it. That thought makes the wait easier!


The Garrard is an interesting proposition.There is a lot of buzz about idlers at the moment.I'd like to hear one on a well-sorted system,head to head with a couple of leading lights of the Belt and Direct Drive camps.

Eventually (after it is re-built) I'll be able to put it head-to-head against several excellent DDs (led, of course, by the GT-2000, which I do NOT expect it to surpass! :no:) and a Yamaha PF-800 and a Jobo Acoustical, these latter two being the only belt-drive TTs I have.

The system I'll have should be revealing enough: the cartridge, in this case, will provide the limitation on frequency range. I need to double-check the stats, but I think the lowest frequency cap (the "limiting bottleneck") in my "final" system will be up around 50 kHz or higher; at least 35 kHz, anyway, unless I cut it with an EQ. The bottom end will be DC or wherever the rumble filter cuts in. Distortion levels will be down around the "vanishing point" of 0.00X %. Should be sufficiently good/revealing for me to hear the differences between different sources quite clearly, and make a fair evaluation of them. Just need to get through all this other cr*p and find the time! :D
 
Your system will be plenty good enough to tell the differences between turntables.
 
I passed up something of a DIY Lenco style TT. It was beaten up and apart but the tonearm was a hunk of steel as in a small prybar. The motor was baseball sized which turned a platter that was probably a quarter inch thick.

I have 2 other project TTs still to do so I passed.
 
I passed up something of a DIY Lenco style TT. It was beaten up and apart but the tonearm was a hunk of steel as in a small prybar. The motor was baseball sized which turned a platter that was probably a quarter inch thick.

I have 2 other project TTs still to do so I passed.


Depending on the brand and model number, you may have passed up a real "treasure"! Again depending on what it was, it might even have been worth just putting up on eBay as-is!?

But then again, it might not have been worth the bother, and obviously this wasn't the right thing for YOU at this time. Maybe someone else got it and fixed it up, and loves it. If so, it was the right thing for THEM. I tell myself that kind of thing, when I walk away from temptations...
 
UPDATE: I brought the Garrard 4HF home, and started cleaning it up. Man, am I impressed with the quality of this thing!

First, I wiped it down with a Chlorox non-bleach disinfectant wipe. I've never used these on gear before, but I've noticed it has some detergent-like cleaner that works very well, so I thought I'd try it. Wow! CLEAN under the dust!

I then took Meguire's Paint Cleaner/Restorer to the paint, wondering how the finish could be improved further than the original quick-cleaning already had already made it...and I used plastic cleaner on the one plastic part near the front. I'm amazed and thrilled with the results: this thing is FIFTY years old (give or take a few years), and it now looks BRAND NEW! They must have used an automotive-grade baked-on enamel finish, for it to survive in this shape. I haven't even put any protective auto-wax on it (it probably doesn't need it!), but it looks as if I have. The only defect I've found is a couple teensy-tiny (1-2mm) scratches in the surface in one spot in the rear --and it is possible they were there from the factory when it was new.

I took detergent to the rubber platter coating (the mat "flows" around the entire side of the platter, covering it entirely). The first lathering just disappeared, very quickly. I repeated the process about 5-6 times over a couple of hours, until it looks rich, dark, slightly shiny --again, except for a few scratches, virtually brand new. ...and I haven't finished with the restoration process, yet! (I'll do a more detailed surface cleaning, and use another restorative product, to make it even better.)

The tonearm was the worst part: it looked to me as if it had some corrosion, perhaps some pitting into the chromed part, and I didn't think it would clean up as well as the rest. I took metal cleaner to it, and with slight trepidation, tried a bit of very fine steel wool... Wow! The marks came right off, and there is NO pitting whatsoever. The steel wool left no scratch marks, either. I followed up a good cleaning with a product called "Liquid Reflection". Like metal cleaner on steroids, it puts a truly mirror-like finish on almost any metal that can take one, and sure enough, the tonearm now shines like brand-new mirror-finished chrome.

Overall, this is one of the most beautiful record-players I've ever found or owned, and it is in WONDERFULLY well-preserved condition, cosmetically.

It has a few mechanical issues, though, probably stemming from old, hardened lubricants. I'm going to do a painstaking restoration of this thing, dis-assembling, cleaning and polishing each piece, and re-assembling and adjusting it with proper high-quality lubricants. It's in such nice shape, I think it is worth it.

The TPA-12 tonearm, I've learned, is good enough and can sound very good with an appropriate cartridge. It's relatively high mass means the kind of carts you can use with it are limited, but with an appropriate vintage cart, it can sound "superb", especially with 78 rpm records. In fact, there is a bit of a "cult" around using this TT for 78s: it might be the best choice out there. It's also very popular with the reggae crown in Jamaica and London, for whatever reasons. It's also considered a great TT for playing small 45s, although it is large enough that you can play the oversized 16" transcription discs on it, too.

I'm thinking about making a one-off plinth for it, with curves and rolled layers a bit like the pillsbury doughboy, in the same color scheme as the TT itself: cream and white with red trim. I saw some big conical bar-seat bases made of solid wood recently, and I might be able to salvage one of those. One of those, under this as a stand, would make it look a bit like a giant ice-cream cone, which would fit well with the general 1950s "ice cream parlor" or "fifties diner" look that this thing has. (Every time I look at it, I think of driving a big chrome-mouthed fifties car to an ice-cream parlor, ladies under huge hair dryers in the beauty salon, beatniks and greasers, etc... It just radiates a classic, should-be-iconic "fifties" look!) IF I can't get the base (it may be gone by now), then I'll still do a complimentary base.

A local dealer has another stand-alone TPA 12 tonearm which would "match" the one on this. With the curved top plate that doesn't stick out much beyond the platter on one end, I'm sure I can make a plinth that would allow two of these tonearms to be used. Then I could dedicate one of them to playing 33s/45s, and another to 78s. After all, I think one gets better sound from some carts that do NOT use the flip-over stylus... :D

I think it's worth applying some of the "tricks" used with Lencos and Garrard 301s/401s to this beast. I'll experiment with dampening the underside of the top plate, re-build and fine-tune the motor and idler-drive mechanism, and bolt it down to a massive plinth.

I don't expect it to sound better than the GT-2000, but with an idler drive, heavy platter, big (301-identical) bearing, and transplanted to a massive plinth, it should sound pretty good --good enough, for sure! :music:

Classic vintage cool looks? "They don't make them like that any more" build quality? Geez, it would be very hard to beat this thing on those two counts!

Very happy I got this thing! :banana: :yes: It edges the Collaro aside to take "pride of place" now as top dog in my small, modest collection of cool fifties-style record players/changers (it's single-play), alongside the TD124. It looks even cooler than the TD124, but loses to it slightly on massive build quality.
 
Back
Top Bottom