• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another Stromberg Console Score

Horn Head

Super Member
I spied just the back corner of this one at an antique shop a few days ago - inaccessible and sitting behind a load of of other junk...eh, antiques. Called the owner and picked it up today for what I'd pay for a few cases of beer - Old Mil.

Was thinking it would be a parts donor...until I saw the rest of it today. Keeping this one intact as I really like the lines and finish is exceptional - but missing the 'Stromberg Carlson' logo on the bottom edge of the console where the pilot light is. Good thing I scrounged one from another console on it's way to cabinet maker. Hope it fits in the spot.

Model SP-921WO.

Per TheRed1 has:
RC-88 changer
ASR-433 "Stereo 24" control amp (12 watts/ch.)
SR-445 Stereo FM-AM multicast tuner
RS-404 12" Acoustical Labyrinth Spkr System (2-way)

Upon looking inside:
Verified the ASR 433 Amp w/PP 6BQ5s
Speakers are LK-486 though - big enough for 12" LF but haven't verified
Garrard TT - don't know what model yet...it's plugged into the manetic phono inputs (surprising for such an 'old' looking TT)
Haven't gotten to the tuner for verification

A good day! But have to be careful 'cause this monster is adding weight to the next move....have to ditch some other nice to have stuff sitting around. If I keep more than this and that Concert Grand I'll end up on that 'Hoarders' show.
 

Attachments

  • Stromberg Carlson 920 Front.jpg
    Stromberg Carlson 920 Front.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Stromberg Carlson 920 Faceplates.jpg
    Stromberg Carlson 920 Faceplates.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Stromberg Carlson 920 TT.jpg
    Stromberg Carlson 920 TT.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Stromberg Carlson 920 Amp ASR 433.jpg
    Stromberg Carlson 920 Amp ASR 433.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Stromber Carlson 920 Back.jpg
    Stromber Carlson 920 Back.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Scroe!

Just the ASR-433 is worth over 20 times what you paid for it. It's easily restorable, and sounds great when recapped.

I think you got a good deal there....:thmbsp:
 
Thats lovely. I'm told that tuner is also a great performer, though I think its an am/fm simulcast stereo, not FM MPX stereo. Either way thats still a heck of an amp and a nice cabinet
 
Thats lovely. I'm told that tuner is also a great performer, though I think its an am/fm simulcast stereo, not FM MPX stereo. Either way thats still a heck of an amp and a nice cabinet

Yep I did see that it's am/fm....but also saw an MPX labled rca plug poking out on the one end I saw. Wondering if I can install another on-hand MPX unit in there...

Also confirmed the SR 445 Tuner and the Garrard RC 88/4 TT.

Hadn't gotten the speakers out for a look yet but felt around and only detected 12" LF and cone HF. Thought there might be a chance of a 3-way set-up - since the connectors on that backs of the speaks show C T M L. By the way, those particle board enclosures have all gone to hell on each unit I've seen thus far. Will likely measure dimensions and build new enclosures....the old ones are soft and bend (talk about a compliant speaker...)
At least these speakers were meant to be mounted on the bottom of the cabinet - not attached to the hi-point of the cabinet like those 8" 2-way jobbers that were in other consoles. The particle board on all those have deterioated so much, the cabinets have all fallen down into the guts of the console...

Finally a note on the cabinet: it's a two part flip top (at first glance). The larger hinged top on the right flips-up on hinges to show the electronics and TT. But the left lid doesn't budge. Confused the crap out of us sitting at that antique store....looking for the magic switch to pop the left top up. It has hinges in the back indicating it flips open for record storage or something. Well, when finanly inside the console I see that short top is screwed to a block on the frame (never mind those hinges on the back of the board) it doesn't open. And there's no cabinetry under that lid anyway. Wondering how many people over the years have wondered how to access that mysterious latch to get into the record repository next to the electronics and TT. One will never know.

Will probably make it functional with some mods - to store music or other stash. Amazing to think that no manufacturer these days would put a 3 cent piece of hinge on a door that wasn't supposed to open due to costs of overengineering a product in a throw-away society...just some thought.
 
Last edited:
Really nice, congrats! :thmbsp: I like the looks of that cabinet, & those are probably real nice components too.
 
Any MPX adapter will work. Stromberg-Carlson made a solid-state add-on MPX unit right before they left the audio market, but I haven't even seen a picture of one.

The tuner is a decidedly nice piece. If the console I stripped had been as stylish as that, I wouldn't have stripped it.
 
Back
Top Bottom