• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

Take a close up pic and share .. maybe it's something glaring you in the eyes and need a 2nd pair to see it. Could be just about anything but I'd put my $ on a wire issue to/from the inputs or outputs and the ground.

Cheers,
Bob

My problem has vanished, for the moment, but I am trying to be careful about what I do and how I do it. If it occurs again maybe I will have a better idea of the sequence of events that lead up to it.

Thanks - - -

.
 
EDIT:

I BELIEVE THIS IS IN ERROR. i MADE AN ASSUMPTION INSTEAD OF WORKING THE MATH. DO NOT USE:

....
Erroneous content removed. Sorry for any inconvenience.
....


Thanks for your patience.

Shelly_D
 
Last edited:
Observations

This preamp is VERY sesitive. Just a tad of crud on my needle and I have to clean the stylus. My RCM is down for a tad and I had to switch back to my re-built HK 17. It can handle a little crud on the needle with a slite loss of clarity and more distortion. I'm a little bummed.

Cheers,
Bob
 
Winner!

This preamp is VERY sesitive. Just a tad of crud on my needle and I have to clean the stylus. My RCM is down for a tad and I had to switch back to my re-built HK 17. It can handle a little crud on the needle with a slite loss of clarity and more distortion. I'm a little bummed.

Cheers,
Bob

That is by far the best endorsement for the CNC I have read! Almost as good as the 4 hour warning...

:thmbsp: :banana: :thmbsp:
 
This preamp is VERY sensitive. Just a tad of crud on my needle and I have to clean the stylus. My RCM is down for a tad and I had to switch back to my re-built HK 17. It can handle a little crud on the needle with a slite loss of clarity and more distortion. I'm a little bummed.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

It could also be called revealing. Try a new LP or one that has been cleaned recently. I bet it will reveal the right stuff then.
 
This preamp is VERY sesitive. Just a tad of crud on my needle and I have to clean the stylus. My RCM is down for a tad and I had to switch back to my re-built HK 17. It can handle a little crud on the needle with a slite loss of clarity and more distortion. I'm a little bummed.

Cheers,
Bob

Welcome to the world of High Fidelity.
 
Welcome to the world of High Fidelity.

Hehe - me thinks I'm here already! :thmbsp:

My RCM is temporarily down waiting for parts, the brush cleaning method just doesn't cut it with this pre. I tried an LP (Budos Band) that was new & cleaned proper like and it's all good. My fine line cart has a tendancy to pick up crud more than usual so if the LP is not completely clean well you got the idea.

I'm getting ready to hook up my P05 power supply to this preamp and see if it sounds any different.

Cheers,
Bob
 
I gave my CNC its first test last night. That is a really fine sounding pre! I am getting a bit of hum but it's sitting in the open so I'm sure it will be fine when I get it in a metal box. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.
 
I gave my CNC its first test last night. That is a really fine sounding pre! I am getting a bit of hum but it's sitting in the open so I'm sure it will be fine when I get it in a metal box. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

If it's running on batteries it shouldn't have hum, what's it connected to?
 
I gave my CNC its first test last night. That is a really fine sounding pre! I am getting a bit of hum but it's sitting in the open so I'm sure it will be fine when I get it in a metal box. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

I was also getting hum as I forgot to add a ground for TT,I have also shielded my case with Aluminium foil,now it is running very quiet,very musical.

Regards,
Sachin
 
If it's running on batteries it shouldn't have hum, what's it connected to?

I've got it going from a Thorens TD-145 to a Marantz 2265 (as pre - left channel needs work!), and a ChipAmp to power the speakers.

I'm pretty sure the hum is EMI from the amp and Marantz, not 60hz. I have to turn it ALL THE WAY UP to even hear it and I had the same problem when my Elliot P06 was nude. So I have little doubt it's merely a shielding issue.

While we're on the subject of turning it all the way up. I can testify that the noise floor on the CNC is well below the integrated phono pre of my Marantz (even with the hum!). Not a surprise to anyone, I'm sure, but worth noting.

Now that I know that it works, I'll put some metal around it and I suspect it will sound like a million bucks!
 
I've got it going from a Thorens TD-145 to a Marantz 2265 (as pre - left channel needs work!), and a ChipAmp to power the speakers.

I'm pretty sure the hum is EMI from the amp and Marantz, not 60hz. I have to turn it ALL THE WAY UP to even hear it and I had the same problem when my Elliot P06 was nude. So I have little doubt it's merely a shielding issue.

While we're on the subject of turning it all the way up. I can testify that the noise floor on the CNC is well below the integrated phono pre of my Marantz (even with the hum!). Not a surprise to anyone, I'm sure, but worth noting.

Now that I know that it works, I'll put some metal around it and I suspect it will sound like a million bucks!

I thought we were talking about hum all the time, not only at high volumes, my bad.
 
I've got it going from a Thorens TD-145 to a Marantz 2265 (as pre - left channel needs work!), and a ChipAmp to power the speakers.

I'm pretty sure the hum is EMI from the amp and Marantz, not 60hz. I have to turn it ALL THE WAY UP to even hear it and I had the same problem when my Elliot P06 was nude. So I have little doubt it's merely a shielding issue.

While we're on the subject of turning it all the way up. I can testify that the noise floor on the CNC is well below the integrated phono pre of my Marantz (even with the hum!). Not a surprise to anyone, I'm sure, but worth noting.

Now that I know that it works, I'll put some metal around it and I suspect it will sound like a million bucks!

I initially had a low level hum too at first. I forgot to connect the TT ground. What I did was connect the TT ground to my preamp where it would normally go anyway since the CNC sits on top of the preamp. I connected the TT ground to my preamp TT ground post... hum gone.

Cheers,
Bob
 
I thought we were talking about hum all the time, not only at high volumes, my bad.
HTML:
To be fair, I wasn't exactly clear in my post. :D

With all of the facts in mind, it seems like the unit is performing exactly as one would expect given the circumstances (I.e. I've given it no EMI protection). I really enjoyed what I heard. I have a feeling it will become my main phono pre.
 
As promised, here are some pics of my (mostly) finished product. I'm using the mounting bracket from an old hard drive as a chassis. It works pretty well for the time being. I'm going to do some opamp rolling and when I'm satisfied with the sound I'll put it in a proper enclosure.
IMG_20110917_164720.jpg

IMG_20110917_164746.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom