• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another vintage speaker ID

Tommy_B

Well-Known Member
Any ideas? Apparently there are no markings anywhere on the outside. The grilles look like something I've seen before, but haven't been able to come up with anything searching online. The black wood inlay in the side of the box seems rather unique. It's a two-way, with 10" woofer.

speakers1.jpg speakers2.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I got nuttin'. Do you possess these speakers? If so the markings on the drivers may tell something.
 
Not in my possession. The owner was not able to find any identifying marks on the outside and didn't seem to know much about them, aside from "they sound real good". Thought they might possibly be something of interest, but maybe not. :-). I love a good mystery.
 
I'd have to drive across town (~35 mi) to have a look at them. They're asking $35/pr, but would likely take less.
Don't need another pair of speakers (unless of course, they're interesting ones :-) Maybe I'll see if they can provide
a pic with the grille cover removed.
 
They look well made, despite the somewhat fuzzy soft contrasted pictures. The grille treatment is unique AFAIK, never seen that before, but tends to suggest something in the early 60's. The kicker is the very deep dimensions of the cabinet, very unusual. Is there any picture of the back showing connections and with the grille removed? Any idea of dimensions because for a 10" and mid/tweeter, cabinet looks very large volume for something like that.

The veneers are bookmatched so that's a nice touch. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a very nice DIY effort. For $35 and 35 miles of driving, I'd pick them up. Even if the drivers were run of the mill, the cabinets could easily be repurposed with a new baffle, appropriate drivers, crossovers, and box design. Could even make for a decent Woofer box with separate horn and driver on top, a la Econowave.
 
Here's a pic of the back ... not much help. Speaker terminals would seem to indicate lower quality/low power, but like you said, maybe they're homemade. The backs seem to be made of particle board, so at least not flimsy hardboard. These speakers remind me of something that might be used in a school, church, etc., in a relatively small room.

speaker3.jpg
 
I'm going with late 60s / early 70s timeline. The style looks like a fit to that period. The terminals & construction look industry typical and not homemade to me. I'm getting a PA commercial vibe from them like something for a church or school. Awful deep for a 10" 2-way combo which makes me wonder if there might be horn HF hiding under there?. We'll never know however as the OP is too selfish to drive a short distance and see...

:biggrin:
 
I'm going with late 60s / early 70s timeline. The style looks like a fit to that period. The terminals & construction look industry typical and not homemade to me. I'm getting a PA commercial vibe from them like something for a church or school. Awful deep for a 10" 2-way combo which makes me wonder if there might be horn HF hiding under there?. We'll never know however as the OP is too selfish to drive a short distance and see...

:biggrin:
I know right? Some peoples children.
 
We'll never know however as the OP is too selfish to drive a short distance and see... :biggrin:

Now, now ... curiosity may end up getting the better of me. :-) I just might have to make the drive over, but I'm trying to exhaust other options first
that would be less time (and gas) consuming. :-)
 
Got some additional pics from the seller. Looking more interesting, but still no idea who made them. Anyone recognize these drivers? The woofers look pretty generic, and I don't know much about horn tweeters. Also, not sure if its just the camera angle or what, but the one on the left seems to be a slightly larger box than the one on the right. Custom job?

speaker4.jpg

speaker5.jpg
 
Thanks Rob. Just came to that conclusion myself after finding this pic of some similar Magnavox speakers. The mystery is solved (I think).

magnovox S-8754 Speakers.JPG
 
Also, not sure if its just the camera angle or what, but the one on the left seems to be a slightly larger box than the one on the right. Custom job?

They look different because the one on the left is on a base and the one on the right is sitting slightly behind it.

They are either Magnavox s-8754 or S-8764 models. There is a fair amount of info on them good & bad.

The real question is if you need a $35 project?
 
Back
Top Bottom