• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another vote for old Sherwood tuners (receiver)

jredmond

New Member
I'm new here and in the midst of trying to get a reasonably cheaply acquired Sherwood s-7200 back to full functionality. I have read a number of passing comments here about the quality of tuners in this model (and others like it). The tuner is all that is reliably working at the moment and I am loving it, but as part of my figuring out what I thought was a phono preamp problem I routed vinyl from a Dual 510 through a NAD 1130 preamp to the Sherwood... and it sounded appreciably muffled and limited compared to the openness and clarity of the FM sound. Perhaps other variables intervened, but I am hoping the phono will be at least as nice as the tuner when it is back in gear. That is all.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a functioning S-7200 and can tell you first hand when hitting on al cylinders the sound is deep, rich and mellow all at the same time. I believe the issue you are facing is you can probably find one in good working condition cheaper than getting the one you have fixed. There will come a day when availability of good ones force the price to rise and then fixing them will be the smart option. Who can predict that? I know there are not tons of them advertised right now but the market changes like the Michigan weather. Good luck, I love mine.
 
I'm new here and in the midst of trying to get a reasonably cheaply acquired Sherwood s-7200 back to full functionality. I have read a number of passing comments here about the quality of tuners in this model (and others like it). The tuner is all that is reliably working at the moment and I am loving it, but as part of my figuring out what I thought was a phono preamp problem I routed vinyl from a Dual 510 through a NAD 1130 preamp to the Sherwood... and it sounded appreciably muffled and limited compared to the openness and clarity of the FM sound. Perhaps other variables intervened, but I am hoping the phono will be at least as nice as the tuner when it is back in gear. That is all.

Note to self. If preamp has a mono setting... make sure it is not engaged before posting!
 
Back
Top Bottom