• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Antennas and FM audio quality

This is interesting and magical stuff. I just put up an FM Stereo 1/2 Wave Dipole Outdoor Antenna in my attic (due to lightning and a new roof) next to my Winegard TV antenna. It boosted the signal strength meter on my Marantz 2250B from 3 to 4 but everytime I tried to tune 94.7 Oldies I could only tune it stereo when the tuning meter on the Marantz was off center. I then connected the Winegard TV/UHF/FM antenna up and now I have a perfect signal on 94.7 (the only one that was off center) but signal strength is only 3. This is exactly the opposite of what I was told should happen. The TV antenna is beamed direct at the Sears Tower and the FM dipole is an Omni directional. Anyone able to explain this to me? I'm a baffled bozo!:headscrat:screwy:
 
maybe not as magical as mysterious... move your antennas around (both location and compass bearing) and you'll probably find nulls and hot spots.
 
I unfortunately had to move out of the city a few years back, much to my chagrin.

My tuners (Kenwood 7500, Sansui 717, Sansui 5900, Marantz 105, Pioneer 608, Kenwood 5500) couldn't pull in a good, clean signal for squat, no matter what I tried.

Especially my beloved college stations, all below 93 FM.

A cheap Radio Shack unit mounted to my chimney cured all that ails me- hooked it up this weekend, aimed it at the city, and everything comes in stellar.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a wineguard, as the RS unit is pretty thin and I question it's durability, but it was a good start.

Best,

Paul
 
Use this little tool to see what kind of distances and directions you're talking about and take it from there: http://www.radio-locator.com/

:thmbsp: Great link! :yes: I just found some stations I didn't even know about or doubtful I ever would have.

Another question. Does anybody out there have any experience with the Magnum Dynalab ST-2FM? I'm thinking about replacing a Godar FM1A with it. I'm out in the middle of nowhere in a slight river valley 50 miles from Chicago, Rockford & Milwaukee. My tuner is a Sansui TU719 fully modded by Component Plus USA.
 
what about using a TV Antenne and a 75 OHM adaptor?
Most VHF TV antennas also work on the FM band (it's right above TV ch 6), but probably not as well as a good FM-band-specific antenna in the same location. A rooftop VHF TV antenna, however, may well be better than most indoor FM antennas. YMMV.

For FM reception, though, even a small FM Yagi like the Antennacraft FM-6 will blow away a larger TV antenna at the same location.
 
I'd like to know where to get a Tower to mount an antenna on that is moderately high-say 30'-50', & doesn't require a 4 man crew to put up, & that a poor country boy can afford...
 
what about using a TV Antenne and a 75 OHM adaptor?
I'm on the VA side of the DC area - maybe 25 miles out, and I use a pair of rabbit ears to the 300 ohm connection on my yamaha receiver - works great for most everything on the dial.

That said, there was a time when I lived near Laurel, MD, midway between Baltimore & DC. I had a FM-cut yagi on a rotor on the roof - mostly for the low power college stations back when it was worth the hard work to find a good progressive station on the edge of the band. These days - there's just not as much interesting stuff on the air out there, and all the real esoteric stuff I like is on internet radio ... sigh
 
I'd like to know where to get a Tower to mount an antenna on that is moderately high-say 30'-50', & doesn't require a 4 man crew to put up, & that a poor country boy can afford...
Common ham radio fare. Just google for "rohn towers" and you'll get more dealers than you can shake a stick at. Most carry other brands as well.

They're not really easy to set up, or cheap, but this is an expensive hobby, right... Besides, a brand-new tower, even professionally installed, would be a lot cheaper than some speaker wire and would actually make a real difference!

If you get in touch with local hams you may be able to find a used tower and maybe even some help putting it up if you offer donuts and coffee.

You could put a pretty impressive FM receive array on a 40' Rohn tower!
 
I'd like to know where to get a Tower to mount an antenna on that is moderately high-say 30'-50', & doesn't require a 4 man crew to put up, & that a poor country boy can afford...
Lowes sells the Channel Master 30' tower, but it'll take more than one of you to put it up. it's 3 10' sections. Model 1830, about $50.
 
I'm on the VA side of the DC area - maybe 25 miles out, and I use a pair of rabbit ears to the 300 ohm connection on my yamaha receiver - works great for most everything on the dial.

These days - there's just not as much interesting stuff on the air out there, and all the real esoteric stuff I like is on internet radio ... sigh

I live in a small town some 35 miles east of Cleveland. The area's FM and TV transmitters are about ten miles (more or less) further southwest of here, in a southwestern suburb. I get very good FM reception on every one of my FM receivers just using their built-in antennas; the only exception is the digital AM/FM tuner in my Aiwa bookshelf stereo system. Standard T-dipole antennas do not work well with this system, so I bought a Terk tower AM/FM antenna shortly after I moved here seven and a half years ago. Made all the difference in the world; my stereo system now brings in every Cleveland station in stereo, and when the band opens up in the summer, I get many stations from Detroit, Toledo, Ohio and southwestern Ontario, Canada.

BTW, I cannot use outdoor FM antennas of any kind because I live in an apartment building (lease restrictions).

I really don't listen much to over-the-air (OTA) FM these days either, preferring instead to listen to Internet radio and my own music collection. There is much more variety and, IMHO, better programming on the Internet stations; for example, I thought easy-listening (instrumentals, such as was once played over FM radio from the '60s until roughly 1990) was dead until I found The Breeze, an Internet easy-listening station from Crown Point, Indiana (www.thebreez.com). This station is 24/7 easy listening, with no commercials and no talk except an occasional ad for the station itself.

If you want really good reception from low-power college and/or NPR stations, then by all means erect an outdoor antenna with a mast-mounted preamplifier on a rotor, if you can. However, with many NPR affiliates now streaming over the Internet (the Cleveland affiliate of NPR does just that, as well as another NPR station some 60 miles south of here), there isn't much sense anymore, IMHO, in spending a lot of money and going to a lot of trouble putting up an outdoor FM antenna. The Internet and web streaming have made most FM stations that can afford it available to anyone, anywhere, even if you are hundreds of miles from the station you want to hear, or cannot hear even local stations for any reason (e. g. obstructions, mountains, etc. between you and the station or by virtue of sheer distance).
 
The limitation with internet radio is bit rate. None have even CD bit rate.

My favorite station is all all-analog, no compression and broadcasts live studio as well as lots of vinyl.

It sounds better than CD much of the time!
 
have a double diapole with a qtr wave phasing stub. really think that should do the trick for you. lno need to over kill the tuner....chuck.
 
It isn't all that easy to find, and may cost more than the antenna, but the Magnum Dynalab "Signal Sleuth" box adds a lot to reception - both in pulling in stations better and in rejection/cleaning the signal. It can't pull in that the antenna can't to begin with, so the antenna is still critical, but you'll get noticeably better performance out of any antenna with one of these. Adding it is much like upgrading your tuner. Also helps a lot when you want to run more than one tuner/receiver from one antenna.
 
Back
Top Bottom