• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Antique Motorola or Westinghouse SS record player console?

Motorola or Westinghouse antique record player?

  • Westinghouse

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Motorola

    Votes: 4 80.0%

  • Total voters
    5

Qaleidoscope

New Member
Just like the title says I'm torn between 2 supposedly fully operational solid state record player am/fm media consoles. Both are in good condition... who made the better device back in the late 50s early 60s? I have no clue. Have both sales on the hook at the moment. Westinghouse is rare... company dates back to Edison days and motorola as I understand is sought after for consoles along with zenith and Garrard.

Any help from you, my new friends, on which to pull trigger on? I'm 38, and just getting back into vinyls after a very long hiatus. Just bought my first 6 records. Same 6 cds my older bro bought me when I turned 16!

What would you do?

Ty
Q
 
Register to hide this ad
Here are pics. The first is the Westinghouse, 2nd is motorola one.

Thanks guys!
 

Attachments

  • 20210421_174106.jpg
    20210421_174106.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210421_174128.jpg
    20210421_174128.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 57
Those appear to be from the late 60’s rather than the late 50’s or early 60’s. I don’t know about their later solid state stuff but Motorola was right up there with Zenith in their heyday. Bear in mind that most of the old record changers in those things usually track quite heavily which can wear out records fast plus they have ceramic cartridges in them that aren’t the greatest sounding fidelity-wise. A turntable with a typical magnetic hi-fi cartridge usually tracks at 1.5 to 3 grams, those older console changers are often set up for 8-10 grams or higher and they don’t offer any anti-skating which attributes to record wear. They are pretty cool looking console units though and I can see the appeal. Of the two I’d choose the Motorola.
 
Those appear to be from the late 60’s rather than the late 50’s or early 60’s. I don’t know about their later solid state stuff but Motorola was right up there with Zenith in their heyday. Bear in mind that most of the old record changers in those things usually track quite heavily which can wear out records fast plus they have ceramic cartridges in them that aren’t the greatest sounding fidelity-wise. A turntable with a typical magnetic hi-fi cartridge usually tracks at 1.5 to 3 grams, those older console changers are often set up for 8-10 grams or higher and they don’t offer any anti-skating which attributes to record wear. They are pretty cool looking console units though and I can see the appeal. Of the two I’d choose the Motorola.

Thanks for this! I appreciate it... would the tracking be adjustable at all? I wouldn't mind modifying one of these so it doesn't kill all my new records. The model number for the Westinghouse i happen to know and was manufactured from 56-60 or so... no clue on the Motorola it does look like a later one considering the design.
 
The tracking pressure is adjustable but it must be set to the cartridge manufacturer’s specs. The turntable in the Motorola looks like it might be modern enough to track at a reasonable force provided it’s set up properly. This is all assuming that it has been serviced and all of the old gummed up grease has been cleaned out and replaced, also that the stylus in the cartridge is in good shape. That Motorola does look pretty cool, definitely from the “space age” and I believe Larry is right about it being an upscale model. If it is a Voice of Music built turntable (and I think it is) there is a good parts connection still around if it needs anything.
 
who made the better device back in the late 50s early 60s?..

Those appear to be from the late 60’s rather than the late 50’s or early 60’s.

The model number for the Westinghouse i happen to know...was manufactured from 56-60

Welcome aboard @Qaleidoscope

You have some of AK's veteran knowledgeable minds chiming in already so I would heed what they say. Both of those units are Solid State which came into vogue in the mid to late 60's.

I would google search the model number and that should clarify the manufacture date if not let us know and we can sort that out for you.
 
Thank you! Looks like you guys were right on the moto cause it sold while i gathered this info... so I'm still on the hunt it seems. Man you guys are so awesome. Thanks for all this info. So I hear you when you say the moto was the better option does that mean the Westinghouse is absolutely crap and not worth my attention? If so I may just opt for a new player... these consoles are slow to come online and alot of them are beat up.

Model on the westie is ST58WA70... if I should move on from these nostalgic consoles I'm thinking a budget of $300 or so for a player. Audiotechnica? *shrug*

Thanks again! I feel so welcomed haha

Q
 
does that mean the Westinghouse is absolutely crap and not worth my attention?r... these consoles are slow to come online and alot of them are beat up.

Model on the westie is ST58WA70...

Absolute crap is in the eye of the beholder, I will say that late 60's Solid State consoles are not that sought after at least not here on top of that like you mentioned they can be beat up and not necessarily worth the money to restore.

If you really must have it I would pay no more then <a Hundy, there is one currently offered on ebay and the seller is dreaming if they think they're going to get that price
 
Absolute crap is in the eye of the beholder, I will say that late 60's Solid State consoles are not that sought after at least not here on top of that like you mentioned they can be beat up and not necessarily worth the money to restore.

If you really must have it I would pay no more then <a Hundy, there is one currently offered on ebay and the seller is dreaming if they think they're going to get that price

You saw that huh? Yea 450! The one I had my eye on is from an estate. Immaculate condition but if it sucks it sucks lol.

I guess I'll buy new. Can someone point in the direction of 1 or 2 brands or better yet 2 or 3 record player models? I'll be playing old and new vinyls on the thing. If I'm not mistaken the weight of vinyls have changed over the decades so I want to be sure both can be enjoyed if possible. Somewhere in 3-500 range.

Belt drive or direct drive? Aye... I'm clueless.

Thanks for the assist!

Q
 
A late 1960's Motorola console will have a VM 1200 family changer. And it uses the medium output Tetrad ceramic cartridge tracking at 2 grams (Tetrad's version of the CBS Laboratories/Zenith Micro-Touch system). Get the Motorola, a much better built, better sounding console.
 
In this case I would take the Westinghouse, that is the very rarely seen 1968 top of the line model and has the superb VM belt drive changer that stops the platter
and lowers the record all the way down, does not drop it, the arm trip is by photocell. That console also features a sealed air suspension speaker system with 15" woofers,
mid horns and tweeters.
 
A changer is the turntable that changes records automatically. This one is a very unique model made by VM, belt driven and a special elevator spindle
that lowers each record to the turntable which stops while the record is lowered. Extremely gentle. The auto features such as end of side lift are actuated
by photo cells so there is no friction on the tonearm. VM made these from 1967 to about 1972, I believe the model in the console is a model 1700.
 
A changer is the turntable that changes records automatically. This one is a very unique model made by VM, belt driven and a special elevator spindle
that lowers each record to the turntable which stops while the record is lowered. Extremely gentle. The auto features such as end of side lift are actuated
by photo cells so there is no friction on the tonearm. VM made these from 1967 to about 1972, I believe the model in the console is a model 1700.
Ohhh that's the Motorola one then. The Westinghouse just has the one arm :)
 
No, the Westinghouse also has a auto changer, the one I described above made by VM. There is no record stabilizer arm on the Westinghouse, it uses what is called an umbrella spindle with three fingers to hold the records very similar to Duals and Elac Miracords. But this one is quite different in that it lowers the
record all the way down instead of dropping it.

The Motorola is a record changer also and made by VM, but an entirely different design.
 
No, the Westinghouse also has a auto changer, the one I described above made by VM. There is no record stabilizer arm on the Westinghouse, it uses what is called an umbrella spindle with three fingers to hold the records very similar to Duals and Elac Miracords. But this one is quite different in that it lowers the
record all the way down instead of dropping it.

The Motorola is a record changer also and made by VM, but an entirely different design.
Ohhhhhh gotcha! I have so much to learn lol. Getting conflicting info though you say it was kind of high end but I think someone else mentioned it was a low-end model. I wish there was a solid database for this stuff gahh would make things easier. So many variations in this music space!
 
No, the Westinghouse also has a auto changer, the one I described above made by VM. There is no record stabilizer arm on the Westinghouse, it uses what is called an umbrella spindle with three fingers to hold the records very similar to Duals and Elac Miracords. But this one is quite different in that it lowers the
record all the way down instead of dropping it.

The Motorola is a record changer also and made by VM, but an entirely different design.

The Westinghouse changer being designed used a different type of changer spindle (an umbrella) and it's higher end in terms of the VM changers (their top of the line). Westinghouse is worth getting in this case, and restoring.
 
The Westinghouse changer being designed used a different type of changer spindle (an umbrella) and it's higher end in terms of the VM changers (their top of the line). Westinghouse is worth getting in this case, and restoring.
I appreciate your feedback! I'm going to pull the trigger. My neighbor is unloading it and it's actually fully functional. Thank you! All of you for the superb assistance I'm sure I'll be back soon asking "I own this help me" questions instead of "which one to buy" inquiries haha
 
Back
Top Bottom