• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any advice on building an ev Georgian Ii?

Bicyclist

Super Member
This wouldn't be exact of course but I am contemplating this because I have 4 ev 18", 2 ev ht94 horns and a couple of ev stamped basket 10" speakers. Not sure what exactly was in a Georgian Ii but guessing I might be able to take a stab. Anyone have any info?
 
Register to hide this ad
If you just want to build Georgian inspired speakers, the drivers don’t have to be exactly what they used. A 10” woofer should be able to go low enough to meet the 18” woofer, and high enough to meet the horn. I think it would work just fine.

What are you using for crossovers?
 
If you just want to build Georgian inspired speakers, the drivers don’t have to be exactly what they used. A 10” woofer should be able to go low enough to meet the 18” woofer, and high enough to meet the horn. I think it would work just fine.

What are you using for crossovers?
Just spit balling right now but I would probably build crossovers to start with. I'd need to do some research on crossover points and what the slopes might be. The real issue will be where to put them when they are finished. I can build them in my garage but the house already has a lot of hifi in it.
 
I’m surprised they ran the 18” woofer up to 250hz. You could probably get away with crossing it a bit lower.

I’d be tempted to do an active crossover setup just to get things dialed in with the drivers you’re using.
 
I’m surprised they ran the 18” woofer up to 250hz. You could probably get away with crossing it a bit lower.

I’d be tempted to do an active crossover setup just to get things dialed in with the drivers you’re using.
That would be ideal, I don't really have the gear to do that. End game id like it to be driveable by 15 or so tube watts. I was thinking 200hz crossed to the 10 then 2k to the horn but that would mean the ten had better sound really great.
 
Which EV 18s do you have? EVM-18B or DL18 or something else?

What are the 10" EV drivers out of?

What horn drivers are on the HT94s? DH2010s?

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Which EV 18s do you have? EVM-18B or DL18 or something else?

What are the 10" EV drivers out of?

What horn drivers are on the HT94s? DH2010s?

Regards,
Gordon.
Salient questions! I have evm-18bs the 10inch drivers are actually from some old p.a. cabinets loaded with a 15" ev force, a stamped basket 10 with a really heavy magnet and the ht94s. I need to dig both of those out to get the particulars on them. Also I have a pair of sp12bs I could use instead of the 10s.
 
This whole idea was to try and figure out a use for the 18s. Seems a waste to have them in my basement. I also have two evm15bs
 
Post a picture of the 10". Can't place which cabinet that was (that they came from)...

If there's a label on the side of the magnet, be sure to post a picture of that. Especially if it has a number like 10xxxx or "67", followed by four more digits, on it.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Post a picture of the 10". Can't place which cabinet that was (that they came from)...

If there's a label on the side of the magnet, be sure to post a picture of that. Especially if it has a number like 10xxxx or "67", followed by four more digits, on it.

Regards,
Gordon.
I'll go out to the garage in a day or so. I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge!
 
That's definitely either a DH3 or a DH2010 (effectively the same thing, the so-called "witch hat" driver).

There's no reason you couldn't make an outstanding speaker with an EVM18B, a SP12B and a HT9040/DH3.

I'd probably use the 18B at about 125Hz and down, and the SP12B from about 125Hz to 1500Hz or so.

You could probably actually start with an E-Wave crossover (the greater-than-95dB version), for the mid-high crossover, and just add a crossover on the low out of the E-wave crossover to separate the 12" from the 18". A 20mH choke and 80uf cap, in both the lowpass and highpass parts, could work fine. I'd suspect that the sensitivity of the 18" and 12" would be pretty close- you might have to put a slight L-pad on the 12", if there's too much midrange compared to bass- then just adjust the L-pad on the E-wave crossover to blend in the horn...

Put the SP12B in about 2 cubic feet sealed, with the enclosure completely filled with fiberglass insulation.

The 18B needs a big box- optimally 12 cubic feet. Incorporating the 2 cubic feet for the midrange, into the enclosure volume, and building it out of commonly available 3/4" thick plywood- that would wind up being about a 2 foot by 2 foot by 4 foot enclosure, outside dimensions. You could reshape that, but the total internal volume would need to be between 13 and 14 cubic feet, all combined...

That speaker could easily be driven by 15 watts per channel. Easily a 98dB/1w sensitivity, or close.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Man you are a generous person. The drivers are the witch hat looking things. For the 18 I have seen ported cabinets a bit smaller but I'm guessing they give up low frequency extension.
 
Man you are a generous person. The drivers are the witch hat looking things. For the 18 I have seen ported cabinets a bit smaller but I'm guessing they give up low frequency extension.

Correct. In 12 cubic feet, they go down to a rolloff frequency of about 38Hz.

If you shrink that to 8 cubic feet, they roll off at about 50Hz.

You can EQ that to go lower than 50Hz- but that would require more than 15 watts.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom