• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any fans of Tung-Sol USA tubes?

The Tung-Sol 6550 is *the* power tube for Leslie speakers with 6550 amps (the 122/147/251 families and others.) Had I the cash to burn I'd hunt down a few pairs of NOS ones. Though for live gigs I've been happy with the 6550EH, and I'm going to be trying the reissue Tung-Sols since other organists have been saying good things about them. No other 6550 growls like a USA Tung-Sol when you dig into the organ...

The Tung-Sol 5881 was standard equipment in the Leslie amps that used a quad of 6L6 types...the 31H tallboy being a notable (and booty-shaking!) example. Again...punch and growl for days.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
 
LOL!!

Jeez, I cannot afford to pay big $$$ for "premier" European tubes.
I think the only European tubes I've bought within the last few years, have been relatively cheap RFT EZ81 and 12AT7 tubes.
I'll grab NOS Tung-Sol USA, when I can find them?
I have a Tung-Sol USA 12AY7 in my SE guitar amp, and the tone is 2die4!!

Steve
 
I liked the Tungsols I've used but many of them were cosmetically flawed in some way, elements crooked in envelope, button base off-kilter with envelope, ect. They all seemed to work well in spite of.
My impression was that as a group they were as good as anybody else's industrial rated lines.
YMMV
 
Last edited:
Pardon the minor rant here...

In the last few years especially many US tube users have developed a "fetish" about tubes - if it isn't European (or at least European designated - "E90Fs are WAY better than 6BH6s" - yeah, right!) then it isn't any good. Do some searching around this and other forums - you can't miss seeing it!

Somehow in the process the incredible New Jersey made Tung-Sols got lost in the shuffle (as to a certain extent did RCA).

IMHO, Tung-Sol made tubes EVERY BIT AS GOOD or in some cases better than the Europeans. Not only the power tubes like the 5881 and 6550, but the 6V6, the 12**7 series, 12BY7As, 6U8s, 6BH6s, 6AU6s, and so on - these are all killer tubes - and if they had been labeled "made in Great Britain" or "Made in Holland" they'd be in unbelievable demand.

But as I've written before, for some tube buying is also a very status-driven event. And since the Tung-Sols (to many) didn't have the "snob appeal" of the European Philips family names they'd get passed by. But the real sharp tube users have known for a long time than Tung-Sols kick a**!! :thmbsp:

Tung-Sol stuff is GREAT!


That is awesome to hear. I just got(today) a stash of 6v6gta tungols that are NOS. I was about to try them in my stromberg amp just to see how they sounded. It'll be nice to try them out.

I'll post later.
Mark
 
Anyone ever try the Tung-Sols KT-120 a higher output tube then the KT-88's, I was thinking of trying those in my Dynaco MK III.
 
anyone know how to get a hold of Jim Mcshane. I click on his name to send a pm or email and get nothing. Thanks!
Mark
 
Pardon the minor rant here...

In the last few years especially many US tube users have developed a "fetish" about tubes - if it isn't European (or at least European designated - "E90Fs are WAY better than 6BH6s" - yeah, right!) then it isn't any good. Do some searching around this and other forums - you can't miss seeing it!

Somehow in the process the incredible New Jersey made Tung-Sols got lost in the shuffle (as to a certain extent did RCA).

IMHO, Tung-Sol made tubes EVERY BIT AS GOOD or in some cases better than the Europeans. Not only the power tubes like the 5881 and 6550, but the 6V6, the 12**7 series, 12BY7As, 6U8s, 6BH6s, 6AU6s, and so on - these are all killer tubes - and if they had been labeled "made in Great Britain" or "Made in Holland" they'd be in unbelievable demand.

But as I've written before, for some tube buying is also a very status-driven event. And since the Tung-Sols (to many) didn't have the "snob appeal" of the European Philips family names they'd get passed by. But the real sharp tube users have known for a long time than Tung-Sols kick a**!! :thmbsp:

Tung-Sol stuff is GREAT!

JIm,
Does this include the new reissue stuff?
 
My birthday present to myself

A pair of matched NOS/NIB Tung-Sol (USA) 6V6GTA vacuum tubes. :banana:

Yeah, I know I'm digging up an old thread of mine.
But I'm happier than a pig-in-sh*t!! :yes:

Everyone have a very nice-n'-safe 4th of July!

Steve
 
Back
Top Bottom