• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any Idea on Brand of Speaker - Speaker ID

peterfranks

Super Member
Saw these in my journeys today -

- No badges or ID of any kind
- Thru the mesh on top I could see the tweeter back marked "Peerless" 2 ohm
- Could not find a way into the speakers - no removable panels - the material covering the enclosure is like a giant sock.
- Looks like solid wood top and base
- Dual hook-ups in the back

Heavy Heavy .....

Any guesses?

thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Shape is right for a DCM QED but I always though they had the vertical strips in the back to hold the sock in place.
 
They sure look like DCM QEDs to me... seems more likely they are, and just were recovered, than being home made speakers that happen to look like DCMs.
 
They do look like DCMs but the QED had nicely sculpted rounded and slightly beveled top and bottom plates.
QEDs weren't biampable.
Could be RSL Alphas.
 
JBL also made a speaker like this, but I think it had a pane of glass on top instead of wood. Probably DCM's like everybody said.
 
They are not DCM QEDs. The QEDs have rounded corners, foam socks, and they take banana plugs. They do not have terminals.
 
Kinda look like Vandersteen but the tops and terminals aren't correct. I agree that they look a bit DIY.
 
RTR had some towers with top an bottom plates and a sock all the way around. IIRC though, most of the ones I have seen have a darker wood - like cherry.

Totally missed the fact that the terminal plate is Bi-Ampable. That does eliminate QED's.

I'm starting to get a DIY vibe as well - although quite well executed. May be worth rolling the dice on.
 
Saw a pair of Boston Acoustics speakers at the auction a couple weeks back, RS series maybe? They were wrapped in socks, the top panel pops off so the sock can pulled off or rolled up over the top of the speaker.
 
They sorta look like Vandesteens but are not. Vandys are more rectangle like and the biwire jacks are different.
 
Not DIY, I'm guessing... I bet it's just a rarely-known niche-type model, kinda' like those octagonal ones with drivers on all sides that were so-popular in the late '60's. I think I saw a thread about a speaker just like this a few years ago, now that I think about it.
 
van schweikert vr3

I think they are biwired, just the vr1's are not. oops its spelled von schweikert vr3.
 

Attachments

  • von_schweikert_vr_3.jpg
    von_schweikert_vr_3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom