• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any idea what my Barzilay H600 might be worth?

LHJD

New Member
I've read the instructions so hope I'm doing this right. For years and years my parents had this stereo console that we stood in front of for pretty much every single posed picture ever taken. I knew it was a stereo console, but really it was the backdrop of our lives. My mom died and I'm going through her papers which is taking awhile because she saved EVERYTHING including a Barzilay fold out advertisement of its various offerings, including the H600 cabinet we have (as well as the 2 Lane record cabinets). The foldout has to be after 1965 because it references an award received, but the cabinet must be from right around that time because it's part of my photographic history. Now that I realize the behemoth has a name, I did a search that led me to this forum. So, any thoughts? It's in excellent condition but the original record player and radio are missing. It has the reel-to-reel tape and inside it has stalled to it instructions for putting in drop down components.
 
Register to hide this ad
Do you know what the speakers are housed in the cabinets? They may bring the most interest. The Barzilay cabinet is beautiful, but it's not a hugely popular style and given it's domineering size, may be a hard sell. Fortunately, one could set a large flatscreen TV on it, but the single forward opening door restricts access somewhat. The Sony RTR is of little value too, as it is a journeyman piece again of interest to a small number of people.
However, the speaker drivers may be of some value and great interest. The brochure references a 12" cutout so your parents would have had to have something installed. vintage 12" drivers from JBL and Altec are in great demand and have high value, while drivers by Electro-Voice and Jensen, are less valued and University, Utah, and others even less so. You should remove the back of the speaker cabinet and take a picture, unless of course, you find some speaker paperwork describing what was installed.

It's a nice piece with great memories; I hope you find it a good home.
 
It has speakers but I don't know what kind. It's too heavy for me to be able to move from the wall to get back behind it. I'll continue to plow through the mountains of paper and see if I find anything. Thanks so much for the info.
 
So they did have documentation. Looks like the record player was Garrard, as you noted the RTR was Sony, so based in the brochures I found it looks like they put in a Sherwood or Harman Kardon speakers and/or receivers. It's hard to tell which they are, but I note they're not any of the ones you listed. The brochure is from 1966 so that's probably about the time they purchased it.
 
LHJD, these Barzilays are beauts! I picked up my slightly smaller unit for $350, but the speakers were separate, and it almost fit in the room I have. Your problem is no one wants a huge console, or has exactly the right space. If the "find a good home" criteria is more important than needing money, I would list them for $100 on CL so you can get a timely sale and move them where they will be treasured anew. I was wondering if these would sell at the estate, if yours was the one I noticed.

We are so sorry for your loss, and whish you peace and good luck with your sale.
 
Thanks. We'll have an estate sale at some point but we're nowhere near that time yet so if you saw a listing it wasn't for me.
 
I had Barzilay filled with Fisher tube gear and EV speakers

I did a thread on it

Sold it to a guy who said "Shut up and take my money"

$1100
 
Wow. I'll make sure I open it up before I do anything with it. These are the Lane record cabinets (2) and paperwork. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
 
I have a Barzilay that may well be the same model as you. Mine came populated with Fisher tube electronics and JBL speakers. I purchased the unit for the Fisher gear, but I would have tried to purchase the Barzilay on its own. It is a difficult piece of furniture because of its size and weight, but if you have the room it looks great and is very functional.
 
Another factor - you did not list where in the world you are.
I know most of the Barzilay cabinets seem to be in California somewhere,
but we have seen a few turn up here and there elsewhere - that can affect resale value -
I mean, not as many potential buyers in Bozeman Montana, for instance ...
and the big Barzilays take a bit of work to move anywhere ...
(no flames meant to anyone)
 
Back
Top Bottom