• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any Kenwood speaker fans..?

jandg

Member
I am paticularly found of KL-7070's. I am sure there must be some other models that sound as good..I would never sell em..tube gear & 7070 love each other, clean & very tight bass in sealed cabs. way more layed back than lets say L-65 Jubal etc..but very seductive tone. I allways stayed away from such speakers until I needed to borrow a pair while I was on a total speaker selling binge..that was way over 6 months ago & now don't want to give them back & will purchase them..Nice..
J & G
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, While putting together my first system(1980), Headed over to the Navy exchange with $1500. After being there everyday for a week, It was time to buy. All choices had been made, Except for the speakers. They had just received Kenwoods new flagship speaker, Forgot the model, But they looked alot like the Sansui's I had heard in there sound room. "K" model something. 6 way speakers, And very large. To big for my modest barracks room. They were very boomy, And sounded off balance, To me anyhow. I wound up buying there new receiver, Forgot that model # also, But it had a built-in reverb in a window on the front, Had the best features and most power(150wpc) out of over 50 different units in the store. I was A-B'ing 4 pairs of speakers for about 3 hours before it was over(The year prior Kenwoods, Cerwin Vegas, Sansui, JBL) I Wound up with L100's. The kenwoods looked impressive, But other than big bass(I think they had a 18" woofer) they lacked depth. That receiver was another matter. We played our music extremely loud around there, As everyone was trying to outdo everyones else. That thing look some horrible abuse and never so much as blinked once. It was used everyday for 6 years till I sold it. Wish I could find one like it. Been looking.
 
Did they look like these? I bought them in 1978 They are the Kd-888, something like that. I can't remember the exact number. 5 way. 6 speaker with a 16 inch woofer.






100_2321-1.jpg
[/IMG]
 
They look sort of like that, they are a 5 way with 4 horns, a similar mid to yours, & a much differant alnico 15" woofer & a sealed design. They are also Trio electronics era..I think they are fairly early but could be wrong.. The cabs are plywood & still the cheesy plastic grills, but very heavy speakers. The XO was done well, very smooth, WAY smoother than any of my JBL's., not the in your face type of sonics, but very nice tone & no boom in my room, even with low powered flea tube gear, even 1w...They break all rules..I keep looking for another pair & no luck..The selector switch looks very similar to yours also. My Jubals have a better top end of course, because of that superiour to most anything tweeter in it, BUT, I prefer mids, tone, & bass is dead heat .. the Kl-7070's win in pleasure of listening gig...
 
Back
Top Bottom