• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any love for econoboxes?

6'5" and only buy small cars, mostly hatch backs.

'81 Dodge Colt
82 Mazda 626
'85 Golf, fully worked this car over with a full suspension and an '88 GTI swap
'00 Focus ZX3
'92? Subaru GL 2-door hatch back
'02 Mazda Protégé'
'08 Jetta

Currently running a 2015 Impreza hatch. This and the Jetta are the only automatic cars I've ever owned. 15 years of an hour long commute makes you lazy.
I really don't like driving larger cars or trucks. Not so much fun.
 
I thunk your soft spot is pretty unique Farmhand . A lot of us have experiences with these cars but few of us think so fondly of them. My first car out of school was a 74 Dodge (Mitsubishi) Colt. 4 speed. My 1996 Chevy Prizm probably also fits the description. A bike riding buddy of mine still has one of these. I now drive a 2015 Ford Fiesta ST Hatchback. I had tested a Mazda3 but thought it was too big. But I have to admit I wouldn't have bought the Fiesta if there wasn't an ST model available with its turbo charged engine and sport suspension. Except for being Italian the Fiat 500 might also fit.
 
Best car I ever had was a 1980 Honda Accord LX 2 door hatchback. Like Splatterpack above, it was my only brand new car ever. Paid $7100.00 for it. Car mag called it the Mercedes of small cars.

'Longleat Gold' paint, 5 speed. Put a Pioneer a KPX600 underdash and Jensen coaxials in custom cabs on the hatchshelf.

Wish I had 5 of them in a garage to drive each one till it rusts apart...which they did.

Don't see too many first gen accords around.
 
Last edited:
Like Ohighway I too had a Ford Fiesta...mine was an '80 "S" model. Total fun to drive and that Kent engine was nearly unbreakable. Would love another...but they're rarely seen anymore. Same goes for my all-time fave...1972 Opel Manta Rallye. Pretty much unobtanium now. Another fun drive for sure.
 
In ninth grade my best friend's grandfather parked a yellow Honda CVCC out in the weeds- it was too rusty for road use. We got it out of there and drove it up and down their unpaved road. For some reason we decided to cut the roof off, which we did, each with a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer. I'm really not kidding.
We opened the doors to get in and the car started to sag. We slammed the doors shut, locked them, and just climbed over from then on. Which wasn't long, because my friend's mother got tired of yelling "GIT THAT FRIGGIN' THING OUT THE DAW-YAHD!"
 
Currently running a 2015 Impreza hatch.

Three months ago, purchased a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek (Impreza hatchback on raised suspension). I am surprised at home good this small AWD hatchback handles. Great gas mileage with the CVT while commuting in one of nation's worse commutes.
 
eey so listen. I know that nobody likes these. I know the reliability is touch and go. I know they look silly.

9gBeQ8r.jpg


My little Fiat has been eating up miles, especially on the highway. Sometimes I have to shift down to third to pass but that's okay because the gas pedal might as well be an on/off switch. The car is just, fun, if you're into slow-car-fast. I like flogging it and knowing that I'm still far from being on a police officer's radar.
 
eey so listen. I know that nobody likes these. I know the reliability is touch and go. I know they look silly.

My little Fiat has been eating up miles, especially on the highway. Sometimes I have to shift down to third to pass but that's okay because the gas pedal might as well be an on/off switch. The car is just, fun, if you're into slow-car-fast. I like flogging it and knowing that I'm still far from being on a police officer's radar.

If you ever plan on coming up to Michigan or I head down to Pennsylvania, we are going to thrash some back roads :D
 
Nice Fiesta! Is that an Ecoboost or an ST?
It's a base ST. No Recaros, moon roof, or navigation. I picked it up last August. Over winter I got ahold of the Sync 3 software upgrade to enable Android Auto so now I have navigation via Google Maps. It's a lot of fun to drive. I test drove that, the Focus ST, and the Ecoboost Mustang, and this little street legal go kart won me over.
 
It's a base ST. No Recaros, moon roof, or navigation. I picked it up last August. Over winter I got ahold of the Sync 3 software upgrade to enable Android Auto so now I have navigation via Google Maps. It's a lot of fun to drive. I test drove that, the Focus ST, and the Ecoboost Mustang, and this little street legal go kart won me over.
I'm not an Abarth so I won't actually be able to keep up with you, but I'm always down for some good momentum driving in the wake of a real car :D
 
My very first car I bought brand new was a 1988 Mazda B2200 pickup truck when I was a very young man stationed at Fort Riley Ks. To be honest, the reason why I bought it was that it was all I could get credit for. I remember the sticker price was $4,999.00. I ended up loving that thing in spite of that fact..... and my father is still driving it today. It was so bare bones there was a rubber plug in the right front quarter panel just in case you splurged for the upgrade of actually having a radio! No power steering, no air conditioning, 5 speed manual trans and super easy to work on. I know that odometer has over 300k on it now which is amazing with the horrible rust protection they had. I think I replaced the timing belt 5 times, and the clutch three times. How many other cars that age can boast that!
I had just hit driving age when all of the rear wheel drive Japanese compact cars started to appear in the US market during and just after the fuel shortage. They are still very popular here in my area because they are light, tight turning radius and can be equipped with a differential spool for drifting. That is primarily where I see them now...on the race track. Finding a good one however...has become almost impossible.
 
The 510 pictures remind me of a four door Datsun that ended up in our family fleet. There were 4 or 5 driving teens at one time in our Brady like bunch and the little Datsun got left behind. It looked about the same as the two doors, had maybe a 1200 four banger and a four speed manual. I had a blast trying to do it in.
 
Back
Top Bottom