• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any McIntosh MB20 DAC owners out there

geode

F4 Phantom Seat Jockey
Subscriber
Just sent a new Topping DX3pro+ back after two weeks of use. It is likely defective. So, I am looking for a quality DAC. Price $500 or so. I know Mcintosh makes great quality products but have never owned a piece. Anyone have some real life experience with this DAC. It has the features I need/want.
 
Register to hide this ad
The MB20 is a blue tooth unit using the latest 5.0 technology. Its a nice sound and I use preferably to feeding the sound from iTunes and other sources of music via my Apple TV 4K module to the HT system using HDMI. The MB 20 feeds the Stereo system, which can also sample the HT system in the Stereo mode. I think there is basically no difference in sound Quality if your computer is using 5.0 blue tooth. Older computers with 4 series or 3 series Blue tooth you will hear a difference.

The only issue is you have to reconnect the MB 20 to your computer each time you want to use it or to your iPhone or iPad. It takes me about a minute as the computer is in one room and the MB 20 is in another. Yes the iMAC 27" sounds better than my older Mac Book Pro, 24" iMac from 2010 and the 10X iPhone. So I initialize the MB 20 first by pushing and holding the button till the blue circle starts flashing and then engage the computer having selected the preference icon and then the blue tooth app. Normally everything works perfectly. But once on a rare occasion you have to go to the sound app under preferences and turn on the sound to the MB 20. Over the last year and half on two occasions I have had to totally turn off the blue tooth on the computer and reboot the app. Apple says that happens once in a while when you receive new up dates. I am running Monterey 12.6 at the moment. I use two different search engines. That way I either choose iTunes or Google Chrome as my source for music and then switch to either Safari or Google to search for something else while listening for music. Right now I am listening to WQXR- FM classical streaming via Google Chrome while on Audiokarma using Google.

Audio Classics had a pre-owned MB 20 you night pick up at a good price if you know Steve well enough to twist his arm a bit in fun. They are made in China.

Another issue is the first time you use the MB20 it might select your phone instead because the blue tooth app is always on for the phone. So you have to turn off the blue tooth for the phone first and then let the Blue tooth MB 20 engage with your computer which can take up to three or 4 minutes the first time. But once you have it working for the first time you are pretty much set. You can always go into your phone and turn off the blue tooth recognition by the phone to the MB 20, which is what I do. This all sounds involved but it pretty simple really. Some times I like to sit in my easy chair with the Mac Book Pro. So I turn on the Blue tooth on the Mac Book and then go thru the same procedure I would with my 27" iMac.

I know there are short cut icons you can use with the older and newer iMacs. I use them too. But I wanted to follow the KISS protocol for now. Yes my older computer uses High Sierra, and the Mac Book Pro uses Mohave, and I didn't want to confuse the issue talking about different operating systems.

One thing neat about Apple Care is if you have one component that is still current in their eyes they will help with the obsolete stuff too at no charge. My Apple TV 4K module is current as is my 2018 intel iMac 27" so I am good to go. I guess the 10X phone still is too.
 
Last edited:
I have no personal experience with it other than listening at a McIntosh dealer. Based on reviews and specs, it's probably one of, if not the best Bluetooth transceivers available. It can't be used as a stand-alone DAC, but it's internal DAC is the best I've heard for Bluetooth. It's receiving and transmitting range is excellent. Not sure who makes the DAC, but the unit's sound has a very analog smoothness to it. Unfortunately, it's one of the few McIntosh components that isn't made in the USA, but if you're stuck with Bluetooth in an analog only system, you can't go wrong with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom