• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any opinions on Dahlquist DQ-12's???

Here's a pic of someone else's pair, although mine are exactly the same.
 

Attachments

  • dq6c010100010311010405200707169fdcf15ecfd141e26500027c.jpg
    dq6c010100010311010405200707169fdcf15ecfd141e26500027c.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 165
According to Joe at Regnar, where I had my woofs rebuilt, as they were DOA when found.
The DQ-6's and their successor's the DQ-6i's were not made for very long, a year, maybe 2 years at most.
The only differences according to Joe, between the 6 and the 6i, were the woofers. They are different drivers entirely, made by a different manufacturer and in turn, the x-over components were different, as well. The cabinets remained essentially the same.
 
According to Joe at Regnar, where I had my woofs rebuilt, as they were DOA when found.
The DQ-6's and their successor's the DQ-6i's were not made for very long, a year, maybe 2 years at most.
The only differences according to Joe, between the 6 and the 6i, were the woofers. They are different drivers entirely, made by a different manufacturer and in turn, the x-over components were different, as well. The cabinets remained essentially the same.

Interesting stuff. Seems like a small DQ series speaker would have been competing with their own DQM-series bookshelves, but maybe there wasn't an overlap in the mfg periods.
 
Interesting stuff. Seems like a small DQ series speaker would have been competing with their own DQM-series bookshelves, but maybe there wasn't an overlap in the mfg periods.

I'm not too familiar with Dahlquist product timelines, so I don't really know when the DQM series was being sold.
But, IIRC Joe told me DQ-6, and the 6i were in the early 1990's, circa 1990-92, I believe. But don't quote me on it. Or, maybe it was '92-'94.
 
12s are a big step up from 8s. They are not the same footprint, the front grills on 12s are wider. DQ 3-ways and up are less efficient so you need high current power to wake them up.

Enjoy!

Nice 5-year thread resurrection :)
 
There's another way to go; you don't need huge power with 12s or 20s if you hook up a nice M&K sub or two.

10s, however, must have power or it's like a Hoverboard over water; you don't go anywhere... :no:
 
Had one pair once. Has a very open sound and soundstage was excellant. Sold it due to woofer being replace with cheap GSR from parts express. Woofer did not put out much bass and at the same time pickup some ADS 1290 which smoke the dalquist in the lower end.
 
Tips to get the best bass from 20s...

A dynamic pre.

Real power. A 2275 won't really make the cut. M-2 or JBL Urei 6290 is fine. (Experiment with active biamping if you feel adventurous).

Proper refoam with compliant 17mm radius surrounds or you lose the bottom octave.

Placement out in the middle of the room. Up on spikes/feet.

Just a preference: I don't toe them in; the Scan-Speak tweets have good off-axis.

I just got a Nak Dragon like yours :thmbsp:
 
Naw, just specialized experience, after 11 sets of DQ/DQMs.

Dynamic pre? Wide dynamic range, enough to 'wake up' some hard to drive larger A.S. or E-stats. For older ones this might just mean recapped and adjusted. I like my PL/D 1100, that's a John Curl similar to the new Halos (but reasonable used). No built-in phono section though. :headscrat

Haven't even heard the Drag yet; reading about pitfalls and mods in the auto-reverse delay etc.

Remember about runaway positive feedback on some of the choice Sui integrateds... dat ol' magic smoke ain't no joke. :worried:

.
 
i'm looking at picking up a set of the DQ 12 (i really love the look of them): would my yaqin mc-10l be able to 'handle' them? they would be used in a 12'x12' room...
 
i may also use a prosound amp w/a tube pre, but i really like the yaqin atm. the dq's are being offered locally for $250, which seems a bit low to me...
 
i just pulled the trigger. heck, it just dawned on me...i don't even know the nominal impedance...this was a wild hare purchase: ex is moving out (third time is the charm), more room/bigger speakers, etc.
 
I'm curious to hear from those who know tubes.

I can tell you that I had some DQ-8's that "woke up" with 200 wpc in solid state. 100wpc didn't do it for me with those. I assume the 12's are similar in their need for power. But I confess ignorance with tubes.

Maybe someone will chime in soon.

I run my DQ 20s with a pair o f Cary CAD-100s and I am quite happy.

Plenty of tight responsive bass and wonderful dynamics and musicality.

I highly recommend the combination.

Enjoy

Eric
 
they are in super shape. well were, until our kittens discovered the grill cloth...after this,
i decided to remove the covers to take a peek at the condition of the drivers: they are in excellent condition. the woofers look to have been re foamed at some point, the mids and tweeters looking very fresh for the age of these boxes. i still have to make room for them before firing them up with the tube amp, but the seller did demo them using a large 70's looking ss receiver. they sounded great.
 
fhei.png


c0bh.jpg


ism3.png


uj4n.png
 
Back
Top Bottom