• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any Southwest Technical Products Builders/ Owners Out There?

It is really unfortunate that the site is down, I enjoy the old memories when
visiting historical pages. Someone should bring it back perhaps on wikipedia.
It would be nice to have separate listings for audio and computer.
 
Seems the 198/A used 4 of the 195 preamp boards to provide a HiFi preamp, not sure if there ever was a construction article for it.

I found a construction manual for a 198/A in my 275 notes. I must have made a copy of the manual when I fixed one for a friend (in the 70s).
 
The 198a preamp sounded really good, but suffered from poor switches. Bass and treble controls by pushbuttons?
 
snapped a pic of my 275 while doing a power amp shoot out. Only the Hafler and the Tigers had speaker binding posts. This made swapping in different amps a huge pain in the *ss.
 

Attachments

  • tiger-275.jpg
    tiger-275.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 32
I found a construction manual for a 198/A in my 275 notes. I must have made a copy of the manual when I fixed one for a friend (in the 70s).
rickl, would you be willing to share your manual? I am slowly working my way through the 198/A.
 
I built a pair of 207/A’s. To this day they are the best or at least as good sounding as any amps I have owned, including one high-end Sanyo and another Macintosh. They have better damping and are less muddy sounding than many other amps I have built or purchased. The biggest drawback to the Southwest technical products, as I recall is that they lacked some of the bells and whistle‘s that most of us appreciate, For example, turning on a 207/A always produces a bit of a thump in your bass speaker. No delay relay or circuitry. I cannot identify with the comments about fire or overheating. I ran these amps at high and medium power for many years and never had a problem. The problem may have arisen with how well they were built. Recently I pulled these out of storage, replaced the large electrolytic capacitors just for good practice, and drove my two Wharfdale‘s with them. The sound was very rewarding. I love these amps. One can only imagine what kind of products they would be producing today if they had stayed in business.
 
I ran these amps at high and medium power for many years and never had a problem.

we used to use a window box fan to keep them from over heating and shutting down at frat parties. seemed to work.

I pulled these out of storage, replaced the large electrolytic capacitors just for good practice.

I thought the Mallory PS caps were the weakest part of the amp. I was always replacing them.

I too recently recapped the amps and thought they sounded fine.
 
Here is a Universal Tiger amp I built from scratch in 1977. I used way more caps than called for in the power supply. I had a big transformer that was two high of voltage so I used a variable xfmr in the primary to lower the output voltage of the main xfmr. I used a 25 amp bridge rectifier. It was a really good sounding amp.I was 22 when I built it. Being bored one night , I decided to crank up the voltage on the power supply to see what would happen. I found out. The amp did not like it and blew out. I shelved it.
I still have it and checked it out around a year ago.I found that all the transistors are still good It just took out a few of the caps on the amp board and I think a resistor or two. I plan on repairing it and listening to it for old times.
I removed the variable xfmr years ago for another prodject. I have one to replace it.amp 1.jpg amp 2.jpg amp 3.jpg amp 4.jpg amp 5.jpg
 
Last edited:
we used to use a window box fan to keep them from over heating and shutting down at frat parties. seemed to work.

I thought the Mallory PS caps were the weakest part of the amp. I was always replacing them.

I too recently recapped the amps and thought they sounded fine.
I mostly drove 8 ohm loads, I think that helped with the temperature.
 
If anyone's interested in documentation for the Tiger .01 (AKA 207/A), I have the schematics, chassis wiring diagram, and build instructions (which include the Radio-Electronics March and April 1973 articles). I have two units in very good condition (recently "dusted off" and powered up).

Wow... amazing that this thread which started almost 18 years ago is still active!

Wayne
 
I meant to reply to this thread ages ago, but here goes.

I acquired a pair of the Tigers that Bob (ohohyodafarted) had removed from the multi amp cabinets he spoke about in a previous post, I welded a chassis for them and bought a large steel cased Freed power transformer to power it. This is the end result, it sounds as good as it looks.

index.php


index.php
 

Attachments

  • 806741C0-B027-4065-A750-2535662C22E2.jpeg
    806741C0-B027-4065-A750-2535662C22E2.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 62
  • EDBE0ADA-1C6A-4110-B73C-42129770BE7F.jpeg
    EDBE0ADA-1C6A-4110-B73C-42129770BE7F.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I also have a pair of 210A’s, these have been repaired and are working but I haven’t done anything to beautify the chassis yet. Thinking of using perforated aluminum with a fan to keep those 4 big sand resistors from destroying the boards.
index.php
 

Attachments

  • 6E2EB1BB-0861-478D-B62C-B3DE0C76A0A5.jpeg
    6E2EB1BB-0861-478D-B62C-B3DE0C76A0A5.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom