Hello,
I own a set of Klipsch RF7 MK II horn speakers which I drive with the solid state Marantz SR-7009 surround receiver. I was missing that very last bit of treble and "airy" sound, therefore I acquired a used set of passive Townshend Maximum Super Tweeters from the UK (http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeters/) and connected these in parallel with my Klipsch speakers as instructed. These super tweeters use a ribbon.
Now here is the thing: even at a very close range, I can hardly hear the super tweeters, even though their variable gain is set to the maximum. I guess that the sensitivity of the super tweeters is lower than that of the Klipsch RF7 MK II.
I would like to solve this situation by using a separate low power (>3Watt) all tube integrated amp, running on European 220V AC, connected to the pre out of the Marantz, to solely drive the super tweeters. I like this to be my opportunity to take the first step into the world of tube amps. The amp may be minimalistic: all I need is an on/off switch, one input, a variable gain control and a cover to protect my cats and my son of 3, visa versa ;-) And obviously the amp needs to be good at the treble but does not necessarily needs to provide the most solid, deep base.
I can only dream of McIntosh, Octave, Audio Research, Line Magnetic and the many other providers of excellent but -for me- costly tube amps. And although I can solder, I am too little experienced in applying circuit diagrams. Therefore I am looking for some advice on a suitable amp between around Euro 200 - Euro 500. What I have found so far:
- Icon Audio MP3 (from the UK)
- Nobsound NS03D (from China)
- Dynavox VR-20 (from Germany?)
Any (other) suggestions?
Thank you!
I own a set of Klipsch RF7 MK II horn speakers which I drive with the solid state Marantz SR-7009 surround receiver. I was missing that very last bit of treble and "airy" sound, therefore I acquired a used set of passive Townshend Maximum Super Tweeters from the UK (http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeters/) and connected these in parallel with my Klipsch speakers as instructed. These super tweeters use a ribbon.
Now here is the thing: even at a very close range, I can hardly hear the super tweeters, even though their variable gain is set to the maximum. I guess that the sensitivity of the super tweeters is lower than that of the Klipsch RF7 MK II.
I would like to solve this situation by using a separate low power (>3Watt) all tube integrated amp, running on European 220V AC, connected to the pre out of the Marantz, to solely drive the super tweeters. I like this to be my opportunity to take the first step into the world of tube amps. The amp may be minimalistic: all I need is an on/off switch, one input, a variable gain control and a cover to protect my cats and my son of 3, visa versa ;-) And obviously the amp needs to be good at the treble but does not necessarily needs to provide the most solid, deep base.
I can only dream of McIntosh, Octave, Audio Research, Line Magnetic and the many other providers of excellent but -for me- costly tube amps. And although I can solder, I am too little experienced in applying circuit diagrams. Therefore I am looking for some advice on a suitable amp between around Euro 200 - Euro 500. What I have found so far:
- Icon Audio MP3 (from the UK)
- Nobsound NS03D (from China)
- Dynavox VR-20 (from Germany?)
Any (other) suggestions?
Thank you!