• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any SX-1250 refurb owners in NW CT?

StereoGuy1

New Member
Are there any refurbished Pioneer SX-1250 owners in the North Western Connecticut area who will let me listen to their stereo’s sound quality? The reason is I am trying to decide if its worth getting my factory original 1250 refurbished
 
Register to hide this ad
Are there any refurbished Pioneer SX-1250 owners in the North Western Connecticut area who will let me listen to their stereo’s sound quality? The reason is I am trying to decide if its worth getting my factory original 1250 refurbished
IMO no need to listen. I think the 1250 is a sweet piece and is absolutely worth keeping it in tip top shape. It may not need a complete overhaul but there are known weak spots that should be addressed for it's long term health.
 
Last edited:
The Pioneer SX-1250 is an incredible receiver. It's a very special unit because Pioneer were not trying to build the "world's most powerful receiver", they designed the world's best receiver. 1976, and it is, to this day, probably the best "pre power wars" receiver you can buy. It sounds better than their stupendously powerful SX-1980.

And yes, ironically, I have both of them here, right in my lab at the same time. Same owner- and he also regards the SX-1250 as the better sounding unit. The SX-1250 outperforms the SX-1980 in every parameter except sheer power. Happy to show pics if you don't believe me. ;)

As for "refurbishment", that's a tough question. You cannot just replace a bunch of components in an SX-1250 and declare it "restored". Anyone who does, doesn't know what he is doing. It's a huge job. Many hours. Honestly, it's not worth it if you have to pay $80/hr+ parts. You have to pick your battles.

You certainly don't throw a bag of dodgy Fairchild/OM transistors at the unit and expect it to perform well. The Japanese transistors used were infinitely better than the crap people are sticking in vintage gear in 2025. You rebuild the pres, power and PSUs with original OEM transistors or you leave it well alone. Do not second guess the designers. Can you measure the THD, FR and IMD? If you can't, what the hell are you doing in there in the first place? Go mow your lawn, cook a BBQ with some amazing ribs, but stay out of classic HiFi. Put down the soldering iron and walk away.

Too many classic receivers have been destroyed by clowns who couldn't be bothered actually tracking down the proper devices instead of just plugging in a number into "transistors R US" and using totally unsuited and crap "equivalents".

I've banned (refused) repair/restorations on most classic gear unless it is 100% original.
 
1250 and 1980 have different designs. It's best to separate preamp from power amp in determining which are your favourite.
1) Compare the phono preamps in the 1250 and 1980? Take 1980 phono output at tape recorder out into a 1250 tape play input?
 
WOW, thank you all for your responses. Mrk229, what are the “known weak spots that should be addressed for long term health”?

Restorer-john, whats the website for your stereo repair shop? I’d like to call and talk to you more. I bought my 1250 from the original owner who assured me it has never been tampered with, it is still in mint condition with the original box. I paid $500 to have my SX-828 refurbished and it was totally worth it. That price included Capacitors, Protection Circuit, LV Supply, Amp Input Transistors, Speaker Relay, FM Alignment, and cleaned controls. The only reason I would consider another shop is that the 828 came home with new cosmetic damage, and it would be such a shame to let that happen to a mint 1250. I am basically looking for a stereo surgeon.

Rcs16, preamping my 1250 with my 828 is so much fun, in fact that is part of the reason why I got on this mission, because so far the 828’s preamp through the 1250’s power amp sounds much better to my ears than the 1250 alone, and if I cant get better sound from the 1250 alone by paying to have it professionally refurbished, then I’d just as soon buy a cheaper stand-alone poweramp and just keep the 828, the 1250 is just too big and heavy and expensive to not sound better alone, but I’m guessing that I just dont know how good a 1250 should really sound
 
Judging sound quality is so much personnel opinion imo. To each their own.
But saying that your 828 preamp sections sound better than the ones in the 1250, I do wonder what the instruments say in comparison just to verify that there is not something out of spec with the 1250?
If you hear differences between an original and a refurb 828, should one expect the same to be true for the 1250?
I remember when we bought our sx-950 new, the sales guy said he thought it sounded the best of the bunch, not that we could afford a 1050,1250 anyways as teenagers making $2.65/hr :)
 
Back
Top Bottom