• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

anybody have a pioneer a-88x?

I am starting to put my first system together, and picked up an A-88x mostly because it was the cheapest thing I could find that had an input for a MM cartridge. Well it shows up last night, and everything looks great...then the problems start.

A friend had loaned me a pair of speaker cables with banana plugs so that I could listen, but I can not get the lug nuts out of the binding posts. I swear the plastic is one solid piece, and to further complicate things there is a little golden screen blocking my way in the center of the binding post.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or am I stuck with stripping some speaker wire and cramming them in the back of the binding posts?

As you unscrew the red/blk terminals there is a "Slot" exposed On the top of the binding posts to place the banana plug in each terminal. The "Lug nuts" are not fully removable:no: Place the plugs in and tighten by turning the "lugs" Very nice dual mono block amp btw...It's no slouch:music: You should do some research on the A88x..It part of the Pioneer Elite family...Not too many around
 

Attachments

  • A88x 001.JPG
    A88x 001.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 145
  • A88x 006.JPG
    A88x 006.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 133
  • A88x 008.JPG
    A88x 008.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
That's cracking me up. It never occurred to me that you could just cram the banana clips in the slots. Never thought that would work, but sure enough.:banana:
 
That's cracking me up. It never occurred to me that you could just cram the banana clips in the slots. Never thought that would work, but sure enough.:banana:


Yes indeed it works:thmbsp: My Yamaha M/60 power Amp is designed the same way, It looks 'Funky" but works like a charm:music: Glad you posted the results now go and enjoy your Amp:banana::banana::D
 

Attachments

  • advent legacy 024.JPG
    advent legacy 024.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 73
I have about a year a-88x replace "old" a-209r (used aubout 6 years good powerful amp for every music). a-88x diffirient leugue , big heavy thing (i like him a lot). Extremly powerful ,use max about 1/4 of volume .Sound big , very detailed (heard music details who dont heard with old amp) natural sound , dont have boomy bass. Unforgiving amp with low priced speakers , source of sound and bad quality of music <this mix is bad idea (big distorsion ,bleeds ears :)) . With good quality parts works perfect.
 
i can buy A77X for 120 euros in good condition and A88X for 170 euros also perfect technical condition but with scratches on top front faceplate ........power is bigger by 20 w in a88 cuz he has 6 power transistors on each channel , a77 has 4.......i really dont know what to do , i like a77 more but a88 is top line , money is not a issue , i havent listen them , but i guess they do sound the same..........sugestions please.
 
well ,today went to see them , and A88x was pretty beat up ,2 knobs missing and many many scratches , overall he worked fine but cosmetic state was awful , and overall value was affected.........so i bought A77X who was very dirty but in good shape , all knobs were there , just a few fine scratches on cover , front plate perfect......took it home , clean it , deoxit on all switches , and put it in tests.......this amp has no loudness so u will need very good speakers to see what he can do , in pair with german MAGNAT ALL RIBBON 8 sounds good , clean ,natural but in pair with TECHNICS SB 4 it is a disaster , i never encountered an amplifier who is so tricky with speakers............i will keep it for sure........pics









 
Been looking for one of those for years...I have an a77x that I found in a
pawn shop in 93...paid $75...but i never see the 88x...

I emailed back and forth with a babe in Denmark who had one she wanted to
sell...for the cost of shipping I could have bought the country...

Anybody have an idea why those 88x amps are so hard to find????
I just bought one a week ago. I really didn't think that I could ever be so satisfied in a purchase. This reciever is top of the line in 2023. And made in 1986. What a lucky find. Just an absolute pleasure to hear.
 
I just bought one a week ago. I really didn't think that I could ever be so satisfied in a purchase. This reciever is top of the line in 2023. And made in 1986. What a lucky find. Just an absolute pleasure to hear.
My year old (to me) A-88X is a keeper as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom