• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anybody looking for 4 Dual 1229 Turntables CL post

Register to hide this ad
I enter Thrift Shops with no high hopes; usually there's nothing. One day something stopped me in my tracks — a stack of turntables, on the floor, one atop the other (don't try this at home!)

They were:

Denon DP 2000
Sansui SR 838
JVC QL-Y55F*
Luxman PX 101 (linear tracker)

I got 'em all for one bill. All had tonearms, worked perfectly, and were cosmetically NM — even the dustcovers weren't damaged by the pile-on. No cartridges. One of my best thift scores ever.

*Not sure I got the alphabet soup right...
 
Nice selection of 1229s (and one 1229Q) in the CL ad. At least one of them has a broken-off speed control lever, but that seems to be a common issue with these units. Interesting that at least one of them has a Noresco base; guessing it was originally purchased in Canada.

This past year, I found a Dual 1229 at Goodwill for $40. The base has issues, the speed lever rotates freely without moving the mechanism (but doesn't seem to be broken otherwise), and the mechanism has the usual gummy grease, but it appears to be in decent shape overall, and came with a (mildly cracked) dust cover. A couple of months later, what should I see sitting on the 'free table' at an antique radio swap-meet but another 1229! The base is in even worse shape than the other 1229 (and missing the dust cover), but the unit still seems to be in fairly good shape overall, other than the usual issues. Here is a picture of the 1229 which was found on the free table:
dual1229.jpg
 
Nice selection of 1229s (and one 1229Q) in the CL ad. At least one of them has a broken-off speed control lever, but that seems to be a common issue with these units. Interesting that at least one of them has a Noresco base; guessing it was originally purchased in Canada.

This past year, I found a Dual 1229 at Goodwill for $40. The base has issues, the speed lever rotates freely without moving the mechanism (but doesn't seem to be broken otherwise), and the mechanism has the usual gummy grease, but it appears to be in decent shape overall, and came with a (mildly cracked) dust cover. A couple of months later, what should I see sitting on the 'free table' at an antique radio swap-meet but another 1229! The base is in even worse shape than the other 1229 (and missing the dust cover), but the unit still seems to be in fairly good shape overall, other than the usual issues. Here is a picture of the 1229 which was found on the free table:
dual1229.jpg
Nice selection of 1229s (and one 1229Q) in the CL ad. At least one of them has a broken-off speed control lever, but that seems to be a common issue with these units. Interesting that at least one of them has a Noresco base; guessing it was originally purchased in Canada.

This past year, I found a Dual 1229 at Goodwill for $40. The base has issues, the speed lever rotates freely without moving the mechanism (but doesn't seem to be broken otherwise), and the mechanism has the usual gummy grease, but it appears to be in decent shape overall, and came with a (mildly cracked) dust cover. A couple of months later, what should I see sitting on the 'free table' at an antique radio swap-meet but another 1229! The base is in even worse shape than the other 1229 (and missing the dust cover), but the unit still seems to be in fairly good shape overall, other than the usual issues. Here is a picture of the 1229 which was found on the free table:
dual1229.jpg
I hope you are buying Power Ball tickets.
 
I enter Thrift Shops with no high hopes; usually there's nothing. One day something stopped me in my tracks — a stack of turntables, on the floor, one atop the other (don't try this at home!)

They were:

Denon DP 2000
Sansui SR 838
JVC QL-Y55F*
Luxman PX 101 (linear tracker)

I got 'em all for one bill. All had tonearms, worked perfectly, and were cosmetically NM — even the dustcovers weren't damaged by the pile-on. No cartridges. One of my best thift scores ever.

*Not sure I got the alphabet soup right...
Color me envious of that incredible find!
 
Looking for new 1229Q dust cover.

Just had my 1229Q serviced by the Doctor Dual in Canada. He did an excellent job bringing my 1229Q back to almost original condition.

All I need is a good cover and my 1229Q will be almost as good as new.
 
Looking for new 1229Q dust cover.

Just had my 1229Q serviced by the Doctor Dual in Canada. He did an excellent job bringing my 1229Q back to almost original condition.

All I need is a good cover and my 1229Q will be almost as good as new.
If you're not picky about originality, you can use the dust cover from another turntable. I'm using a the dustcover from a Fisher 'table on my 1219. Cost less than half of what a Dual or United Audio dustcover would--no Dual premium--and fits perfectly. I made my own Dual logo for the top center, too.Fisher dustcover.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom