I bought a SX-770 to refurbish that has been a real challenge. Including modifying the main amp to use TIP41C's. Once I got that working great, I moved on to the FM section which didn't work at all, but this post is not about that receiver.
To help me figure out what was wrong with the 1st. 770's FM section, I bought a second one. It appeared untouched in original condition. The pots and switches needed to be cleaned. The knobs came of with the expected amount of force, but the switch covers were on really tight. I have restored 35 pioneer receivers this year, so I've pulled off a lot of switch covers. I use the spoon lever trick which has never failed me until yesterday. In the past, just a little more pressure always broke the switch covers loose. Not this time, I pressed hard, then harder, then real hard. Finally, it gave! But not the the cover, the shaft broke right out of the switch! Dammit, $35 lesson learned (replacement switch set).Turns out that someone epoxied the switch covers on!
I assumed the seller had no idea, but I did tell him. He didn't know but said that at house parties people would steal the switch covers and knobs off the stereo equipment and that gluing them on was fairly common. That was a first for me.
Any of you hifi veterans ever seen that before? It's kind of humorous really, I choose to laugh instead of cry
To help me figure out what was wrong with the 1st. 770's FM section, I bought a second one. It appeared untouched in original condition. The pots and switches needed to be cleaned. The knobs came of with the expected amount of force, but the switch covers were on really tight. I have restored 35 pioneer receivers this year, so I've pulled off a lot of switch covers. I use the spoon lever trick which has never failed me until yesterday. In the past, just a little more pressure always broke the switch covers loose. Not this time, I pressed hard, then harder, then real hard. Finally, it gave! But not the the cover, the shaft broke right out of the switch! Dammit, $35 lesson learned (replacement switch set).Turns out that someone epoxied the switch covers on!
I assumed the seller had no idea, but I did tell him. He didn't know but said that at house parties people would steal the switch covers and knobs off the stereo equipment and that gluing them on was fairly common. That was a first for me.
Any of you hifi veterans ever seen that before? It's kind of humorous really, I choose to laugh instead of cry
