• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone excited about the 2026 F1 season?

Spa spoilers...


Another win for Kimi and another disaster for George. And another race where all the bs forced upon the teams by the new rules was the main player.
LOTS of noise from the various drivers, especially George who blamed his wreck on the car not accelerating like he expected and not on Hamilton. Hamilton did get a 5-second penalty for the contact but George's day was done. Max referred to his car a "an F2 car with F1 downforce". In reality, an F1 car's engine makes around 540HP while an F2 car makes roughly 620HP. The F1 cars make up the rest with electric power. When available...

And to beat the dead horse a bit more...this notion of limiting how much electrical power the cars can regenerate is madness to me.

Ferrari had some luck with the VSC and executed things well for a change. I was on the edge of my chair hoping Leclerc was going to be able to keep Kimi behind him but, alas, it wasn't to be so.

Kimi has a commanding lead in the points and looks to be on a path to take the driver's Championship.
 
No Apple TV and no DVR means watching live on SkyF1 for me. They do a pretty good job and the insights of Bernie Collins are gold.

I know two other people who are F1 fans but are no longer watching because of the switch to Apple.
 
No Apple TV and no DVR means watching live on SkyF1 for me. They do a pretty good job and the insights of Bernie Collins are gold.

I know two other people who are F1 fans but are no longer watching because of the switch to Apple.
Apple picking it up worked out for me, already had Apple TV and didn't need to renew my F1 TV subscription. Saved me $85.
 
Spa spoilers...


Another win for Kimi and another disaster for George. And another race where all the bs forced upon the teams by the new rules was the main player.
LOTS of noise from the various drivers, especially George who blamed his wreck on the car not accelerating like he expected and not on Hamilton. Hamilton did get a 5-second penalty for the contact but George's day was done. Max referred to his car a "an F2 car with F1 downforce". In reality, an F1 car's engine makes around 540HP while an F2 car makes roughly 620HP. The F1 cars make up the rest with electric power. When available...

And to beat the dead horse a bit more...this notion of limiting how much electrical power the cars can regenerate is madness to me.

Ferrari had some luck with the VSC and executed things well for a change. I was on the edge of my chair hoping Leclerc was going to be able to keep Kimi behind him but, alas, it wasn't to be so.

Kimi has a commanding lead in the points and looks to be on a path to take the driver's Championship.
And yet another possible penalty for Hamilton for unsafe release to be "investigated after the session." Might turn out to be a fine or might be a 5- or 10-second penalty or nothing.

I agree about this energy-limiting crap and software bugs in the adaptive wing control (cause Max's crash at Silverstone) and the software bugs that apparently caused George's incorrect power restriction in this Spa race. Starting to look like a computer game.

How about we advance the state of art to something like this:

 
I'm sure the F1 subscription was cool but the races were on ESPN as well.
I watched the Sky coverage on ESPN for the last several years. The AppleTV coverage is actually a lot cheaper for my situation but AppleTV only keeps Sky coverage up for on-demand for only a few days with no other DVR option (a downgrade from using a cable system to watch ESPN). I notice the F1 coverage stays up a lot longer. Also, we're not allowed to watch the "Ted's Notebook" shows in tech US since Apple didn't pay for them. I miss those.

But, given the comments in posts 142 and 148 above, and the increased emphasis on hype vs. racing, I can feel my interest in F1 waning.
 
The Ferrari team was fined for Hamilton's unsafe release from the pits.

This week they are at the Hungaroring, a much different track from Spa. I'm hoping for another good weekend for Ferrari.
 
Annnnddd they're back.

That was quite the event-filled race on Sunday. Max wipes out and brings out the red flag, it was amazing that no one else got caught up in it. Pit/tire strategy...VSC..."real" on-track passes...

All in all a fun race to watch. And I really, really like the Zandvoort track layout. F1 needs more tracks like that and less like Miami, Vegas, or -yes I'm gonna say it!- Monaco.
 
Zandvoort is a crazy looking track from the on board cameras. I bet those cars are a real handful on that track. Not that they're easy anywhere but...
 
Blasphemier ;)

And PROUD of it!!

I have been a loud opponent of F1 racing at Monaco for a long time now.

I have heard every argument made for continuing to race there and disagree with all of it.

But I am also resigned to the fact that it will never be taken off the calendar.
 
Zandvoort is a crazy looking track from the on board cameras. I bet those cars are a real handful on that track. Not that they're easy anywhere but...

I agree. The onboard footage was wild. There is very little time per lap to "rest" with such short straights. I really like the banked turns and the various lines they offer to the drivers.
 
And PROUD of it!!

I have been a loud opponent of F1 racing at Monaco for a long time now.

I have heard every argument made for continuing to race there and disagree with all of it.

But I am also resigned to the fact that it will never be taken off the calendar.
Its the only race I have been to so it has a soft spot in my heart.

And its ok if you are wrong, we all are sometimes :thumbsup:
 
According to the commentators analysis, Verstappen got too close to the apex in the turn where the track was still wet from the rain and so lost traction. Bortoleto's 360 spin just behind Verstappen's crash presented Hulkenberg with about 1 second to decide which way to go to avoid Bortoleto's car which was totally invisible in a cloud of tire smoke - missed a bad T-bone crash by inches. No one hurt - pretty exciting first lap.

I agree: pretty good racing this time and a great track. Seems the yo-yo issue is solved and / or the drivers are learning better battery-charge management. Also, the early-season dominance of Mercedes is fading so the championship possibilities are opening up to other drivers - makes things much more interesting. Was good to see Norris beat both Mercs. I was hoping Hamilton could get by Russel, at least, near the end. Almost.

I am not a fan of either the Miami track or the Vegas track. Austin is OK. I am also not a fan of the American-style hype associated with the opening of those two tracks on the heels of the Drive to Survive show. Seems like a lot of new people showed up at those races who really were more into the hype than the racing. I don't know, Vin Diesel at an F1 race is like Dr. Kildare at a medical convention.

I think any of the 3 northern California tracks (Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Thunder Hill) would make great F1 tracks but the surrounding facilities and infrastructure (hotels, etc.) could not support crowds of 200,00 to 300,000 people. There were 500,000 at Silverstone.
 
Those three tracks would be very expensive to bring up to Grade 1 FIA specs. If the corkscrew is not grandfathered, might as well skip Laguna Seca. I would think it would stay. The Sears Point and Laguna Seca are currently Grade 2 tracks.
 
Back
Top Bottom