• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone going to the Mile-High Nationals this weekend?

Tarl Of Gor

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I got some free tickets from a guy that works for V. Gaines and I'm going on Sunday. Have a crap load of pics that I took last year that I'm going to try to get signed. It's supposed to be 95 on Sunday so bring some sunscreen - and the hell with ear plugs!
 
Register to hide this ad
Cool! I have been to many and lots before Bandimere`s was even a legal NHRA track.
(Used to work for the praying bandits!) As we call them. Have fun ,wish I could be there but won`t be in Denver til August.
 
I thought this might have been some sort of mile-high-club competition, and couldn't imagine you could get much of an audience without an obstructed view in the lavratory of a 747, but I see I was gravely mistaken.
 
I thought this might have been some sort of mile-high-club competition, and couldn't imagine you could get much of an audience without an obstructed view in the lavratory of a 747, but I see I was gravely mistaken.

Ok pull that creative mind out of the gutter. :D
 
Free is good! Those crews are going to have a 'tough road' finding the right combo with 95 deg at a mile high, but it should still be fun to watch. Tell Ashley I said hi.
 
Would love to watch em run up there.
 
It is truly a tuners nightmare! No matter how much info you have from the Mountain wait five minuites and the weather will change.
 
Yes Just Top Fuel and Funny Car are Limited to 1000 ft. Still over 300 sometimes but not in Denver!
 
I thought this might have been some sort of mile-high-club competition, and couldn't imagine you could get much of an audience without an obstructed view in the lavratory of a 747, but I see I was gravely mistaken.

:lmao:
That is exactly what my first thought was!

There is a thing in a remote part of Indonesia, where people go to have sex with a total stranger, once a year. It takes place high in the mountains. Participants are supposed to pick someone at random from the other people there, and then the couple go in front of an Imam for a short ceremony to have the act sanctioned/blessed, then they wander off to find a private spot on the hillside and, well, DO IT. Theoretically, they are supposed to come back for seven consecutive years and re-locate the exact same stranger, but many people just happen not to find the same one, and pick someone new each year. The authorities have tried to discourage people from this, because of fear of AIDs and STDs spreading among the populace, but there are still several thousand people who make the long trek into the (fairly remote) location to participate, every year. Supposedly, participation is like a kind of rebirth, and it is supposed to bring riches and success, and make your wishes come true, if you do it for all seven years.

It's a strange thing for a Muslim country, since many participants are married people cheating on their spouses, which is an offence traditionally condemned under Islam, for which people could be stoned to death, but the roots of this go back to pre-muslim days and old superstitious beliefs, which (think of the masked dances and such in Bali) co-exist alongside Islamic beliefs quite well in most of Indonesia.

But personally? I think as many or more people go for the "kicks" of it, as go because they actually believe it will help their lives!
 
Yes Just Top Fuel and Funny Car are Limited to 1000 ft. Still over 300 sometimes but not in Denver!

Not true ! Qualifying had multiple cars over 300 !

Anyways, with regards to 1320' vs. 1000' NHRA needs to get back to the quarter mile and they must not adopt the stupid 'NASCAR ' mentality of trying to even out the competition. That IS NOT what drag racing is all about (at least @ the Pro level, Sportsman racing is different).

For those of us that have been around the sport for over forty years the constant anticipation of "another record" falling IS a big part of the sport.

Remember when the 300 mph barrier was broken.....then 325, well we want more !

I for one believe the outdated tracks either become 'updated' or they go ! for I too want to to see quick, fast and safe racing @ 1320' !!
 
Anyone remember the nuclear banana ? I still have my Eddie hill first in the 4's Tee. I go back to the the late 70s early 80's and really ain't that old :)
 
The races were great! A guy that I used to work with at a Ford dealer in Lakewood won Super Gas! He cut a .002 light and ran a 10.504 while the guy he was racing cut a .030 light and ran a 10.500 - Super Gas runs on a 10.50 index here in Denver instead of 9.90 every where else. That was a pretty awesome final round.
 
I don't suppose you saw Ashley take her car sideways, did you? When you see the fans directly out of your windshield, you know somethings not going right during your run.
 
I made it to Norwalk the last two years. Saw what may be the last of the 1320 nitro runs last year. The punch in the chest from a fueler going past is a high point in motorsports. IMO. I also like watching motorcycle roadracers performing "The Dance" as they rythmically flow around the track , but the controlled violence of drag racing is my favorite.
 
A few years back a friend took me and my son to the drags at Infineon (Sears Point) Raceway. The dragstrip is actually one of the straightaways for the road course. Just short of the 1320 mark is a tunnel that goes under the track for spectators to access the grandstands. My son and I made a point to stand in the middle of the tunnel during the one of the Top Fuel first round matchups just to see what it sounded like.

Unbelievable!!
 
I don't suppose you saw Ashley take her car sideways, did you? When you see the fans directly out of your windshield, you know somethings not going right during your run.

I didn't go Friday or Saturday for qualifying but I saw it on TV and they showed it during eleminations on Sunday. She did a great job of recovering, especially after she had it up on 2 wheels!
 
It's been too long since I smelled nitro.
I agree about the full 1320 thing, it's just not the same somehow.
I don't think they're trying to level the field, I think they're just trying to keep things safe.
 
The NHRA shortened it to 1,000 feet after Scott Kalitta was killed at Englishtown last year. Last years Mile-High Nationals was the first national event to run 1,000 for the nitro classes. They should go back to 1,320 feet after the feel they've done everything to make the tracks and cars safer - they've already made the cars safer by attaching the burst panel on the funny cars to the chutes so they automatically deploy in case of an explosion.
 
Back
Top Bottom