• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone have a 'pro audio' - based system?

Chad Michael

Dissonant Rhino
Just thought I'd see if anyone else uses the industrial gear...

In my opinion, Pro audio is vastly different from mid-fi, hi-fi and high-end. It is time-tested and proven in very demanding applications, withstands constant movement and changes in atmosphere, yet never fails to deliver more than you ask...

My basement system includes a Technics SL-1200 mk II, Mackie VLZ pro mixer, DBX crossover, mid / hi going to a QSC RMX-1850HD to JBL SR4722. Lows going to a Crest CA6 - JBL 4625b.

This rig goes out of the house once in awhile (wedding reception, banquet, live sound / etc. ), the gear and owner are totally ok with that. Except for the fact that each piece weighs 50+ pounds O_o

(well, give or take :D )
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah, my garage system is.

2) JBL SR4723A
2) JBL SR4719X
2) Crown CE4000
1) QSC PL3.4
1) QSC PL236
1) Behringer DCX2496
1) Yamaha MG16/4

Each CE4000 runs in bridged mode driving a SR4719. The QSC PL3.4 drives the lows and the PL236 drives the mids & highs of the SR4732s.

Pics of the stuff are in my photo album. I no longer have the Yamaha S215s, they were traded towards the 4732s.
 
Last edited:
Yes, Im a fan of Karaoke and have a system in my basement MAN CAVE that can make the windows rattle. Set up using a Dell Computer, USB dac to a Bhringer Mixer, Rane Mojo Stereo 30 channel EQ, Rane AC22 Active Crossover, 2 X BGW 8500T Proline II amps one 300W to Klipsch's the other bridged to 900W to JBL Subwoofer.

For what it is, sounds great with MP3's. Don't worry about Cooling fans in Amps between the Music & Beer don't hear them anyway!

Yes I do have a more serious side, Dennon HT System,4 Aura speakers (monopole) HK sub. & Econo Wave #124 made and designed by DC270 pushed by my Accuphase E202 I bought new in 1977 seen in my avitar photo taken 37 Years ago.
 
Ashly XR-1001 electronic crossover

Behringer electronic crossover

Eminence Alpha 15A pro woofers

Eminence Beta 12LTA wide band pro drivers

APC rack power filter
 
Crown or QSC amps and Rane xovers (among others) can work to brilliant effect in a home system. I know lots of people who use 'em. Many Klipsch speakers get put down by the haters as being "just PA gear anyway".
 
I have a Crown XTI 2000 and an XTI 1000 on this very computer set up, mated to an Outlaw tuner preamp.

I have a Crown XTI 4000 on another set up which is a semi pro set up mostly for instruments with a Yamaha mixer, Audix microphones, an Aphex Aural Exciter, and "non audiophile" type PA speakers.

I have a second XTI 4000 on my main set up driving twin 18" woofers. Although the amp is rated for 4 OHMS when used in bridge mono mode, the amp runs ICE COLD into an approximate 2 OHM bridged load. I have yet to notice the fan even run!

There is a QSC PLX 2402 on a 4th set up with a DBX crossover, but i think I will be switching to Crown XTI again (for no real reason.)

I have a spare Mackie 1400i amp with almost zero hours on it in a box. I just bought too many amps (including another one about 1/2 hour ago!)
 
My system while not pro audio based uses some pro gear. I use whatever is appropriate for the job.
 
My only listening system utilises the KRK Expose E8B active monitors. I've been a hi-fi fan for over 35 years, and I have never listened to a better pair of speakers.
 
My only listening system utilises the KRK Expose E8B active monitors. I've been a hi-fi fan for over 35 years, and I have never listened to a better pair of speakers.

What kind of output from the pre - amp do you run to the speakers?

Unbalanced RCA?
 
They are active monitors. The amp(s) are built into the speakers so it's necessary only to supply a line/preamp level signal to them.
 
They are active monitors. The amp(s) are built into the speakers so it's necessary only to supply a line/preamp level signal to them.

So ... I'm new at Studio Monitors ... an unbalanced RCA is just a term for a regular RCA cord ... red or white? You could take a Parasound classic 2100 stereo preamp and run the mains out ... separate cords (one going to right & other to left) into the studio monitors?

2100_rear_300.jpg
 
Yes, you'd just have to use RCA > XLR adapters/cables.

The connection would be unbalanced so you don't get the inherent noise rejection of balanced connection. But, in a home environment, it's not likely to be a problem anyway as long as you use quality shielded interconnects.
 
Yes, you'd just have to use RCA > XLR adapters/cables.

The connection would be unbalanced so you don't get the inherent noise rejection of balanced connection. But, in a home environment, it's not likely to be a problem anyway as long as you use quality shielded interconnects.

If something like the KRK Roket 5 has a unbalanced RCA input like the one below ... would you still have to use XLR Adapter cables or could you use a regular RCA to RCA?

krk-rp5g2_3.jpg
 
If it has an RCA input then, sure, you could use that.

However, nothing wrong with using the adapter to XLR either. There is no practial difference between using RCA > RCA and RCA > XLR via a special cable or adapter.
 
Back
Top Bottom