• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone have any experience with ADC XLM MKII Improved cartridges? Thoughts?

Glad you stepped in and clarified the issue hopefully they will address the problem.

By stylus I should have been more concise.
 
I am going to wait until they get everything worked out before I start buying these. I know some of the new nudies are good to go but I dont need any at the moment.
 
The stylus from LP Gear for the ADC carts is quite good. I have the bonded elliptical. It plays very well! It stays true to the original ADC design much better than the EVG/Pfanstiehl units. Some have the VL styli and like it.
 
Bingo!

And that’s EXACTLY why several key vendors have raised the flag with the Pfanstiehl/EVG manufacturer to redesign the ADC stylus to make it like originals! Then, with the nude elliptical tip, you have a chance at getting a really nice aftermarket stylus for ADC carts!
 
i bought an original XLM back in the 70s which is STILL my favorite cartridge but the originals are no longer available. they are hyper compliant and DEMAND a low mass tonearm. the cantilever is about as short as they make them. the Dynabector 17D and 23R have likewise short cantilevers.

i currently have an XLMII NOS mounted on a Grace 707 arm that sounds quite close. i would love to try the LPGear Vivid or a JICO SAS stylus on it but this cart has almost no wear as i just opened it from new.
I have an opportunity to purchase a ADC Integra with XLM-I stylus Would this be a good match for my Thorens TD 150 with a TP 13 tone arm?
 
On that XLM Integra; Original cart+headshells have screw in weights to match heavier arms. I’ve used the Integras on my heavier arms with no issues at all.

C0F74B99-E350-41B1-A255-163D328A7993.jpeg
 
The weights are part of the complete Integra package. Most are missing, from the units I’ve seen on eBay.

You can see below how the weights screw on. Each is 1.45 grams, adding 2.9 grams total weight to the headshell+cartridge.

It’s a very good cartridge.

6F754DDB-F3EB-4BE9-91C7-3664CFD2D271.jpeg

DEF1BED2-5245-4B31-BE62-E97390666E1B.jpeg

85B45E77-60D3-481E-A7C5-C355C4F32FD2.jpeg
 

Wrong.

Only correct for the original XLM.

I’ve been running these carts since 1981. Never had a Grace arm or Black widow. Any medium or light mass arm will match well with the XLM/VLM/ZLM/Astrion. XLM MKII, Improved, MKIII, Integras.

Another Urban legend....
 
I have an XLM Mk III on my Pioneer PL 518 and one on my Thorens TD 125 Mk!! with TP-16 arm. No issues on either.
 
Wrong.

Only correct for the original XLM.

I’ve been running these carts since 1981. Never had a Grace arm or Black widow. Any medium or light mass arm will match well with the XLM/VLM/ZLM/Astrion. XLM MKII, Improved, MKIII, Integras.

Another Urban legend....
Would you buy the Integra MKI or should I get new At Vm95e, same price for my TP13? I presently have the AT3600L on the original Thorens head. I would like to to see an improvement in clarity and more bass punch. I have a schitt mani phono preamp (20-20,000Hz) to a Yamaha rn-803
  • 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.019% THD
  • Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 floor standers
 
Last edited:
Would you buy the Integra MKI or should I get new At Vm95e, same price for my TP13? I presently have the AT3600L on the original Thorens head. I would like to to see an improvement in clarity and more bass punch. I have a schitt mani phono preamp (20-20,000Hz) to a Yamaha rn-803
  • 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.019% THD
  • Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 floor standers

As it happens, I have both of those carts.

I really like (love!) the Integras! The XLM I is a bonded 4x7 elliptical. Good to start with. If you can, get an XLM II Stylus (original ADC!) From TTN.

You’ll love the ability to make precise adjustments with that Integra! And it has major detail upgrade from the 3600.
 
Back
Top Bottom