• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone have some info on Morel speakers?

I talked to Bill LeGall from Millersound and he said that they have stopped repairing tweeters altogether due to parts,such as the diaphrams for my Dynaudio D-28's, just not being available anymore. If I keep the speakers I will have to get another tweeter to replace the 28's. There are replacements from Parts Express that will mount in my cabinets without modification so I might go that route if I don't part the drivers out and sell them. Thanks for all the advice and info guy's, it is very helpful.
 
Got a little time this morning so I removed the drivers and took a couple more pics. I put the DynAudio D-28/2 tweeter on CL and I will more than likely sell the Morels also, still not sure. The cabs have foam all over the inside along with what looks like a good amount of Polyfill as you can see in the pics.
100_2304.JPG
100_2303.JPG
100_2305.JPG
 
OK, I decided to get some Dayton tweeters from parts express that were almost an exact fit and only about $25 a piece with shipping so very reasonable. They come with a 45 day no questions return policy which is nice but to tell you the truth unless one shits the bed I probably will not return them. I gave one a little makeover and I will get the other one done tomorrow so I can give a good listen then. Here is the tweeter I used. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc28fs-8-1-1-8-silk-dome-shielded-tweeter--275-075

100_2316.JPG100_2314.JPG100_2315.JPG
 
All finished and matched with a Dayton Audio sub 1000 which is a 10 inch long throw sub with a 100w amp and they sound really great. Thanks for all the info and advice guy's. Have a great weekend. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • 100_2322.JPG
    100_2322.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_2323.JPG
    100_2323.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 9
It has a bad diaphram. Bill at Millersound said they don't make replacements for those. :dunno:

As I said, I can repair those. I have replacement diaphragms for most variations of Dynaudio and Morel 1.1" tweeters. (limited supply, but I have them)
 
Check the crossover, replace old NPEs and also see if it is a reasonable design.
Something caused the tweeter to fail.
 
I hope that some day it's easy and cheap to get custom diaphragms for discontinued drivers. Almost like 3D printing. I need some for a pair of '60 Jensen triaxes that sound pretty dull and they are just unobtanium.
There was talk of some sort of automated tweeter manufacturing at Boston Acoustics that
I'd really like to learn more about. An automated voice coil winder would be very cool.
 
I hope that some day it's easy and cheap to get custom diaphragms for discontinued drivers. Almost like 3D printing. I need some for a pair of '60 Jensen triaxes that sound pretty dull and they are just unobtanium.


get out of my head, dude.
 
Check the crossover, replace old NPEs and also see if it is a reasonable design.
Something caused the tweeter to fail.

Well i played the speakers for hours yesterday and with the new tweeters they sound really nice. If I end up getting the original tweeter repaired I will check out the crossover but we shall see.
 
Well I did some listening this week and I really like the sound of those Morel drivers and the new tweeters sound great to. I didn't care for them in a few positions I tried them in like I do when they are set up like in the pics. I have an Onkyo M-504 which is a tank and sounds fantastic so I put the Morels on speaker B in line with my Dayton sub1000 10" powered sub. The sub matches up nicely with the Morels crossed over at 60htz. I would say that for lake of a better way to say it they sound JBL like laid back but pretty much a nice presence in the room. I have the Klipsch Chorus 1's on speaker A. My Onkyo can run both A+B at the same time as long as they are 8ohm speakers so no issues there. I took some pics. Have a great weekend everyone.

100_2329.JPG100_2328.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom