• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone heard a Sony ST-S3000(ES)?

FauxHall

Super Member
I see a clean one on the German auction site that looks pretty nice if pricey. It has just about the same form factor and general styling as my HAP-S1 so they might make a tidy stack together.

I checked the Sony specs against my ST-SA5ES and they are pretty close, the major differences are a 10 dB better stereo S/N, 15 bD better stereo separation. and a smidgen lower distortion for the SA5ES. For manufacturer's specifications, a lot has to do with the tuning labor costs - the more expensive unit will have higher technician costs and tighter parts tolerances.

I have one decent FM station here and separation is not an issue nor is signal strength. I wouldn't say they put out an audiophile-quality signal but it is listenable.

Anyone with experience with the little Sony?
 
Register to hide this ad
I've heard a couple of very low noise (high S/N) tuners and they sounded stepped on and dull. My takeaway was that low noise designs could be too much of a good thing.

Ordered the little Sony so will report after a good listen.
 
Got the ST-3000ES installed and playing. Sounds great!

I have a decent signal strength with no multipath so RF performance is not an issue. The sound is classic Sony - clear, full, and strong. No noise problem noted with.

The only downside is the champagne finish doesn't closely match the silver of my new hi-res Sony components although the other design elements are fine. Another shortcoming is no remote control but that doesn't matter as I have only one station I listen to.

BTW, the tuner is clearly marked as "ES" and the marking looks like factory original.

DSC_1228.JPG
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom