• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone heard of Ambient Speakers?

Hi Judge,

All this talk about the AMBIENT INC. Speakers inspired me to retrive them from my (seldom use) lil' basement system and hook them up in my main Audio room. I have connected them to my (newly bought) CARVER Reciever
(130 Watts per channel). Man, I have got to tell you Judge, I just can not believe how REVEALING/CLEAR/CLEAN/SHARP these little AMBIENT INC. MODEL R22D's sound! Were talking about a two way speaker that measures
20"H x 11" W x 9" D with a seven inch Woofer and (I suspect) a one inch tweeter! I am persently listening to BILL EVANS : THE COMPLETE VILLAGE VANGUARD RECORDINGS, 1961 and the overall sound is just amazing!
I have to say, as a stand alone speaker, my first impression is that the
R22D's outperform my KEF 102's! The ser.# is (this is cool) 007 75 133.
Oooh...regarding pixs lol...not yet (it's a long story). Judge, hook those puppies up to some good power and if your MODEL 7's are anything like my R22D's, you are going to be BLOWN AWAY!

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom Patrick
 
Ambient Inc

I have also come across a pair of these Ambient Inc speakers. As mentioned here mine sound awesome! It got me curious about them and I ended up tracking down Mr. Butler. I e-mailed him and he was nice enough to e-mail me back. He and his partner had developed a speaker that created stereo using reflection from the back and side walls in the room from a single speaker. He and his partner split up the company and his partner retained the name Ambient and Jack formed a company called Image Acoustics, Inc. and continued to make stereo speakers for a while. Now they do underwater sound transducers. Just thought I would save the next guy the time of doing the research :).
 
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just finished restorting a pair of Ambient 3-way speakers. They were given to a friend of mine - described as "home made" speakers. He didn't want them so I took them home. The midrange speakers needed new foam (I believe they are Peerless). There is no identification on the woofers or tweeters. I wasn't expecting much from the woofers since they have very small and weak magnets.

After replacing the foams and re-sealing all of the drivers I fired them up and I was amazed at how good they sounded. The bass isn't as defined as what I am used to hearing but it does seem to change/improve by moving the speakers around in the room. The bass response is also very good. The 10" woofers are in a much larger box than you would find in something like an AR 2A. The mids and highs sound great.

Ambient Sound was located in South Easton, Mass. I have lived in North Easton, Mass for over 30 years so I will probably hang on to these and give to one of my kids at some point. If anyone is interested I can post more information on them with some pictures.

Rick B.
 
Back
Top Bottom