• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone heard of Lahti?

andy

Super Member
I've had some of these for a while and I just saw some of these sell on ebay for more than I would have expected. Has anyone heard of the brand Lahti? They aren't bad for what they are, but nothing special. One unusual thing about them is that the 6" woofer is mounted behind a 4" cut out.

I'm not interested in discussing their value, I'm just curious about the speakers and the company that made them. Has anyone heard of them?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
andy said:
One unusual thing about them is that the 6" woofer is mounted behind a 4" cut out.

We did some experimenting with that type configuration when I was in the commercial sound world (ceiling speakers and the like). It's a cheap way to increase dispersion when the speaker starts to beam. It won't perform miracles but we saw a definite increase in dispersion angle when going with an aperture about 75% (from my admitedly faulty memory) of the speaker Sd.

Ray
 
I have that exact same pair of speakers. All I know about them is that they were made in Ann Arbor MI. The grille covers were of the "non-removable" varity so Im not really sure what driver or drivers are in them.

RC
 
doucanoe said:
I have that exact same pair of speakers. All I know about them is that they were made in Ann Arbor MI. The grille covers were of the "non-removable" varity so Im not really sure what driver or drivers are in them.

RC

I took the grills of mine when I first got them. They were only held on with staples, so they came off easily. Inside I found a typical 1960's 3" cone tweeter (the kind with no surround) and a roughly 6" woofer with a pleated paper surround. Both had alnico magnets and were branded Lahti. The way the box is constructed makes it impossible to remove the woofer, but the tweeter came out after chipping away some sealing glue.
 
I THINK Lahti is the name of a Finnish conglomerate, a state-run outfit that makes everything from soup to nuts. I could be wrong, but yeah, they made/make armaments. Seems like that anti-tank rifle was mounted on a sled, made to be drug along by sled-dogs...
 
I think you're correct on all points, except I don't think they dragged those around behind dog sleds.:scratch2:
Never the less, I still think my collection could use one!:yes:

Sandy G said:
I THINK Lahti is the name of a Finnish conglomerate, a state-run outfit that makes everything from soup to nuts. I could be wrong, but yeah, they made/make armaments. Seems like that anti-tank rifle was mounted on a sled, made to be drug along by sled-dogs...
 
Hah! I'm *not* the only one! I had two pair of the little baby Lahtis, and one pair slightly larger that were odd in that they were 16ohm impedance. They didn't sound half bad. I'm down to just one pair of the little ones, stuffed in a box in the garage. I'll dig 'em out and hook 'em up again at some point, maybe as cheap surrounds for the family room.
 
Once again I am astonished at hearing about yet another speaker I have never heard of. I never realized how many speaker companies there were out there.
 
If you think about it.
Most of the vintage speakers we own are from out-of-business companies.
And those were just the (somewhat) successful companies.

Steve
 
And here's my remaining pair...

This is was my dorm room setup in the early 80s: MAC-1700 and a pair of Lahti U-2 bookshelf speakers. That first set didn't survive a Friday night radio station sponsored "loudest floor wins a pizza party" contest. This pair I've tried to keep in good shape. There are a couple of dings on the back corners, and the wood desperately needs to be sanded and oiled, but they still work and they still sound ok for 30 year old speakers.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_2503.mac1700.and.lahtis.on.f100.jpg
    DSC_2503.mac1700.and.lahtis.on.f100.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom