• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone here buy their own health insurance direct?

outlawmws

On the Run
My Cobra is about out, and we have been shopping around for Health and Dental. Man do these insurance companies screw the little guy! (As far as I’m going on anything “Political”)

So any recommendations? Family of five, basically in good health, we found one decent deal for health, but lousy dental, and generally the better dentals require you to have their health first, those that don’t put you on a “Waiting list” meaning while you pay them through the waiting period, they pay nada… (WTF?)
 
Register to hide this ad
Blue Cross, family of 4, $5000 deductible plus $2500 co-pay per person, max. 2 persons per year, no dental or eye care, $40 doctor visits, minimal drug help.

$1378 / 2 months.
 
I'm in good but not perfect health. As a result, I'm still looking for someone to cover me and my wife; I'd retire in 6 months (last tuition payment and end of a project I'm working) if I could find health insurance.

That $689/mo for four looks pretty good to me, 'center. I'll see if they'll touch me. I checked BC almost 20 years ago and they were big-time expensive. May have asked the wrong questions, though.
 
Are you interested in something a little out of the ordinary?

World-class coverage through Aetna, full family medical and dental.

Are you and your wife both working now?
 
I work, she doesn't. Currently I split my time beween agency consulting and Audit gigs and 1099 consulting and audit gigs.
 
I have Health Alliance, it's not too bad.
I'm self-employed and only insure myself.
You might check them out.
 
I don't know where you live, size of town, etc., but here's a thought.

Full family major medical, full family prescription drug coverage, full family dental, for around $200/month.

All she needs to do is work 20 hours a week at a local Starbucks.

We've got some medical issues in my family, and we definitely use the insurance, and I can vouch for the terrific service and coverage.

And, it's the most fun I've ever had at work. Seriously.

If there's one in your town I'd think about it. We've got folks in their '40's, '50's, and '60's working here, and we have an absolute blast every day.
 
Let me toss in another perspective.

If you're paying $800/mo for full family insurance on the open market, that's after tax. If you're paying only 20% total tax rate, you're buying that insurance with $1,000 in gross monthly income, or $12,000/yr.

That little part-time job will bring in around $8-9,000/yr. (Plus tips!) Minus $2,400 for the insurance at $200/mo leaves $6,600, plus the $12,000 you don't pay for insurance on the open market, means that 20 hours per week is netting your family almost $19,000 per year in plus income.

Not including the fact that your whole family now has medical insurance.
 
All she needs to do is work 20 hours a week at a local Starbucks.

We've got some medical issues in my family, and we definitely use the insurance, and I can vouch for the terrific service and coverage.

The only beverage I hate more than Starbucks coffee are those @#$!@#$ frappuchinos. And I don't like their "I'm better than you and proving it by buying a $6 coffee" image. But any large corporation that provides healthcare for their employees is A-1 in my book. I've met people for whom a job emptying trash and selling overpriced coffee could mean the difference between a career and a life of bankruptcy.
 
Back
Top Bottom