• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone here like classic Cajun?

Thatch_Ear

Addicted Member
The longer I have it, the more I listen to it, the more I love this CD, Bon Reve by Steve Riley & The Mamou Playboys.

Josh Lassere is a Loisiana boy and he had never heard of Steve Riley but said the Mamou Playboys were famous.

This talk about classic country got me to thinking about this very original root music. Country and Rock owe much to Cajun music, just like todays Blues do to Bayou.

From what I understand this is the real deal, true to form music. This ain't zydico, but if you listen to it you understand where zydeco comes from. This is joyfull music, but the lyrics are sad. Makes you move, dance, clap, bounce your legs but if you read what the lyrics say you should cry. Not understanding a word sung is I guess a blessing.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Steve Riley & The Mamou Playboys album I really like - La Toussaint. I also enjoy Zydeco. Check out some Clifton Chenier if you get a chance.
 
Linda is from the swamp, not been gator hunting yet, but looking forward to it. :D
Just kidding, we both enjoy cajun music. :banana:
 
Hell yeah....

Although I think Steve Riley & The Mamou Playboys are more of a Zydeco sound but who cares? It's good music.

I've got some LPs of Eddie LeJeune and Buckwheat Zydeco that get played quite regular along with some Jimmy C Newman. If I dig around I'm sure I can find some Beausoleil and even some Amede Ardoin :)


Quote from Deliverance - Say, You got a Pretty Mouth Boy.
 
Just had a rake around the rack and found....
Major Handy - Wolf Couchon on LP


Great stuff. Can't Stop my foot from tapping now.
 
Along the Cajon/Zydeco line: Zachary Richard, Sonny Landreth, Clifton Chenier (The Man!), Coteau (pre-Beausoleil), Boo Zoo Chavis among others get regular rotation around here.
 
Back
Top Bottom