• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone in Holland, Michigan, area?

Register to hide this ad
Howdy, nothing formal as such. A few of us have kicked around the idea. For example, member craigtone is from Holland, and though I haven't seen him on here in a while, I'll be seeing him on Sunday in person and could bring it up. Don't know any other members in the area personally, though there are probably many. The dudes from Wayback Audio were looking into something like a West Michigan Audio Club, but I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

In order to get something off the ground, I would try to align as many of the following resources as possible, and any more you can think of. Even if all it consisted of was asking to put up a flyer in their stores for a group you were putting together, they'd probably be cool with it. Keep in mind the following is Grand Rapids centric, as I really don't know much about the lakeshore situation, and there may be more of which I am unaware in GR.

audio retailers:
-Wayback Audio, Bob n' Tom
-Misfitz Audio, Bryan n' Brian
-Northwoods Audio, Ron

I know all of the above, and they are all good people, in a laid-back, 'small business people providing great service' kind of way.

also:
-Classic Stereo/Bekins, Jim

Not as familiar, seem like good folks but definitely more of a corporate feel.

music retailers:
-The Corner Record Shop, Steve
-Vertigo Records, Herm
-Dodds Records, Charles
-Shuler Books & Music
-other bookstores too, maybe?

I know Steve pretty well- really good guy. Have met Herm a few times, seems pretty cool but don't know him well. Have never met Charles.

musical instrument/supplies retailers:
-probably a bunch of these, I'd also not neglect band/orchestra retailers, you just never know...

PSA's on non-commercial radio stations:
-WYCE (I volunteer here, see avatar)
-WGVU
-Blue Lake
-Michigan Radio
-others?

These will be free, just contact the community relations person. Non-comms have the advantage that real music fans mostly don't listen to commercial radio stations. Because they suck ass.

Anyway, that's about all I've got. I know that CRS also has Holland and Grand Haven locations and Bekins is headquartered in Grand Haven, but don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe if a few of us hard core music nerds join forces to divide and conquer we can get somewhere.

Hey, just thought of West Michigan Blues society, Grand River Folk Arts Society, music venues like Seven Steps Up that are more of a 'listening room' environment. There must be a ton of things I'm missing, all that was off the top of my head.

If you want to make it happen, let me know what I can do to help.
 
While apparently not the most popular of positions, I for one would be pleased to make your acquaintance.
 
They make you wear wooden shoes and klog down the aisle for the ceremony? <G>

Made me look - I see they cancelled the festival this year - for the first time in 91 years ... bummer! Rumor has it they'll still be planting and showing the tulips for drive by though.
 
They make you wear wooden shoes and klog down the aisle for the ceremony? <G>

Made me look - I see they cancelled the festival this year - for the first time in 91 years ... bummer! Rumor has it they'll still be planting and showing the tulips for drive by though.

We were married two states away. We just went to Holland, MI, for our short Honeymoon trip. We did watch them making wooden shoes there.
 
New to the site but I'm originally from Holland and have been back for almost three years. I've been interested in better sound for a few years and am interested in meeting local audio enthusiasts. For a bit of personal audio context, I just took a trip to Kazoo Audio this past Friday to demo the Klipsch Forte IV's. I've been intending to build a pair of the Pass Amp Camp Amps for the past year and I have a Sansui AU-717 that I recently had repaired at Misfitz in GR. I have a decent collection of vinyl reissues from Analog Productions, MoFi, Impex and others and bought my first turntable from Herm at Vertigo. I'm always looking to try new gear and want to get deeper into DIY and would make every effort to support a local audio club.
 
Hey guys, I'm located in Hudsonville, MI and would be very interested in some get togethers. I'm currently involved with SMAC with the guys over on the east side of the state, but would love to get something together locally!
 
Hey guys, I'm located in Hudsonville, MI and would be very interested in some get togethers. I'm currently involved with SMAC with the guys over on the east side of the state, but would love to get something together locally!

I'm curious what the typical format is for SMAC activities and get togethers and what they've found works to hold people's interest to keep them investing in the group. There isn't much detail on the website or Facebook but it looks pretty well established.

As to the possibility of a local group getting started the only context I've gathered is from a conversation I had with Tom Klynsma at the now closed Wayback Audio in late 2018. He told me they had been trying to get something started for years and couldn't get off the ground because while there are plenty of guys in the area who buy gear most are older and aren't really interested in new social endeavors.
 
I'm curious what the typical format is for SMAC activities and get togethers and what they've found works to hold people's interest to keep them investing in the group. There isn't much detail on the website or Facebook but it looks pretty well established.

As to the possibility of a local group getting started the only context I've gathered is from a conversation I had with Tom Klynsma at the now closed Wayback Audio in late 2018. He told me they had been trying to get something started for years and couldn't get off the ground because while there are plenty of guys in the area who buy gear most are older and aren't really interested in new social endeavors.

I'll have more details after this weekend, I'm going to my first get together. So far the guys have been pretty nice, most of the interaction happens on their Google email group. There have been some for sale ads, most are more than fairly priced but nothing that has prompted me to make the drive as of yet. I am picking up a pair of free Altec 511 horns this weekend from another SMAC member and I'm excited about those.
 
Had a blast at the SMAC get together this past weekend. There was some gear: a pair of EV Aristocrats, 2 DIY sets and the Genesis Model II's I brought, plus a number of tube amps, most of them hand made. Lots of really nice folks to talk to, a miniature swap meet where I bought some Eminence drivers for a Zilch-style build, and plenty of good food to match the conversation. I enjoyed it a lot!
 
Had a blast at the SMAC get together this past weekend. There was some gear: a pair of EV Aristocrats, 2 DIY sets and the Genesis Model II's I brought, plus a number of tube amps, most of them hand made. Lots of really nice folks to talk to, a miniature swap meet where I bought some Eminence drivers for a Zilch-style build, and plenty of good food to match the conversation. I enjoyed it a lot!

Looks like a great turnout and interesting gear! Was there a defined format or was it pretty much show up, put stuff out and see what happens?
 
Back
Top Bottom