• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone know what's going on with this LP...

synclavier82

Well-Known Member
The Pretenders - Pretenders.

Picked up a nice, clean original pressing of this a few weeks ago. On the inside sleeve it says something like this:

"This record has a longer than normal run time, so for maximum effect, play it loud!"

That's more or less the gist of the message. Anyways, my question is what does the length of an album have to do with the volume at which it must be played for "maximum effect?"
 
Register to hide this ad
Not likely, but it can be that the groove-to-groove spacing has been reduced, allowing a greater groove length. This is only possible if the amplitude stored in the groove has been reduced. This requires you to turn up the volume for the same sound pressure level.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Damn I hate when I gotta play it LOUD..

Actually, I've got quite a few LPs that say things to this effect, and as always, I follow directions :yes:
 
Not likely, but it can be that the groove-to-groove spacing has been reduced, allowing a greater groove length. This is only possible if the amplitude stored in the groove has been reduced. This requires you to turn up the volume for the same sound pressure level.

Enjoy,
Rich P
That's interesting... I wonder if that's not what is going on. If you add up all the times of each track, each side is only about 24 minutes though...

I have one record that's 27 minutes on a side...
 
Actually, I've got quite a few LPs that say things to this effect, and as always, I follow directions :yes:

I will not follow directions in this case

yopl.jpg
 
It's just Rock and Roll musician commentary!
Regards,
Jim
 
There's definitely a relationship between run time of an LP and playback volume.

For example, I've got a copy of Public Enemy "Fear Of A Black Planet" that runs close to 30 minutes per side. Gotta crank the volume way up for this one.
 
On the back of my J.Geils Band lp Blow Your Face Out it states: "Made Loud to Play Loud" :yes:
 
There's definitely a relationship between run time of an LP and playback volume.

For example, I've got a copy of Public Enemy "Fear Of A Black Planet" that runs close to 30 minutes per side. Gotta crank the volume way up for this one.

Yeah I don't think it's actually a joke, I think it might really be because there's so much in a small space, sort of the way a lot of 7" records are. Unfortunately, aside from the need to turn up the volume, this often negatively affects the sound quality.
 
Yeah I don't think it's actually a joke, I think it might really be because there's so much in a small space, sort of the way a lot of 7" records are. Unfortunately, aside from the need to turn up the volume, this often negatively affects the sound quality.
Ahh Ha! I thought there might have been something to this!
 
Back
Top Bottom