• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone out there with vintage Infinity 4000s?

Cuseman

New Member
Hi all,

i have been running a set of vintage Infinity 4000 12 inch 3 ways for over 25 years now and they still sound pretty good to me. These are from the first run of Infinity floor speakers, what some call the xxoo series, and are not to be confused with the later RS 4000s or the current Infinity 4000 surround speakers. They are an old design, pre-emit tweeter, but I still get complements on their sound. Just wondering if anyone out there besides me is still running this model, or ever owned them. Can find almost no mention of them anywhere. I know there a lots better speakers out there, but hard to get rid of old friends.

Any info appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Cuseman,

They have a page dedicated to them on the Infinity Classics site, under the heading "XX00'75":
Infinity Classics XXOO '75

Glad to hear you like them. I've never seen or heard a pair. Any impressions on the sound, either compared to other Infinities or other vendor's speakers?

David
 
Cuseman,
Hail to you. It is good to hear from another that has an enjoys that series. I have the 2500 and 4000A from that series and like them very much as well. Yes, as you say, there are many Infinities that are out there, but those from that series have a nice feeling about them that makes one enjoy them for what they are.

I find that the sound from them is very true and colurless, just lacking the soundstage and crystaline clarity of the higher quality models. I am just grateful for the colurless sound. I also enjoy the very unusual gill cloth that comes with the series.

Vito

P.S. attached is a picture or two of my 4000A. I lost the picture of the 2500.
 

Attachments

  • Infinity Model 4000A.jpg
    Infinity Model 4000A.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Infinity Model 4000A Four.jpg
    Infinity Model 4000A Four.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Infinity Model 4000A Three.jpg
    Infinity Model 4000A Three.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Infinity Model 4000A Two.jpg
    Infinity Model 4000A Two.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 71
I have the 4000A's, Bought them new at Pacific Stereo in '75. They were my only speakers for over 25 years. I always loved them, but then again, had nothing to compare them to. After I got some Pioneers and the Goodmans, the Infinities sounded a little shrill. They got refoamed 2 or 3 years ago and it took a bit of breaking in to get the bass back where it was. Maybe a recap would smooth them out a bit. I often think about replacing the small tweets with EMITs but hate to mess up the "originality". I know others on these boards are not too enthusiastic about their sound.

I'd hate like hell to sell them, so maybe I will mess with them some day.

"Old friends", you nailed it there, buddy!
 
Hail Kencat,
Yes they are. Some came with this colouration and others did not. It was before I got involved in HiFi, so I did not see it happen, I just see different colourations out there in the series.

They are up in Massachusetts at the moment. I will be up there this weekend and will take a close look and snap a closer picture as well.

Vito
 
Kencat,

The cones are fiber/cardboard and the black is a tar/asphaltum type of material painted on the centers and dustcaps. I believe this was done to add mass to the cone to meet certain parameters.

Also, the entire cone of the 5" mids are painted with this stuff. The centers and dustcaps of the tweeters also look painted, although with a much thinner consistency.

Bob
 
Tinitus,
Do you know as to whether they changed it mid-stream production or why they did it. Which came first these guys or the all black. I have seen both in the 2500, 4000, 4000A, 5000 and 5000A.

Vito
 
Thanks, guys for all the info. Well, mine are 4000s, not the 4000A's and they have all black woofers, so guessing those likely came first. Had them re-foamed about 10 years back and also noticed some drop-off in bass response but that got better with use. I agree with you, Vito, on the sound. They are an 'accurate' speaker as Infinity billed them at the time, and offer an overall balanced and clean sound if a bit muted in character. Got mine in in SF in 1977 (Pacific Stereo maybe ??) I like them for jazz, folk and classical, especially, but they have sufficient bass for rock as well. And yes, i also enjoy them for what they are. Admittedly, when I heard the next generation of Infinities with EMITs, I wanted to upgrade immediately, but never got around to it. Still looking for that great deal on a set of some later classic model Infinities in good shape.

Will send pics when I get my system rebuilt. Decided to see what this surround thing is all about and picked up a used set of Boston sub/sats and a slightly used Yamaha RX-V757 A/V receiver but am confounded by all the wiring necessary for the 8 speakers (including the 4000s as B speakers) and my CD, DVD, TT, Cassette deck, VCR, cable box and TV. Tempted right now to just drag my old Akai AA-1050 receiver out of the garage and put everything back to stereo. Hope it's all worth it, but that is another thread for another day
 
Back
Top Bottom