• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

anyone seen Frampton comes alive 35...? reviews/opinions?

hbrocks

Super Member
Very Excited.....we just purchased our tickets to see his show next Wednesday night!
Anyone seen him? I LOVE the original and I also LOVE'd Humble Pie.

frampton%252Bcomes%252Balive%252B35.jpg


Here's a printing of a reivew:

In 1976, Peter Frampton rewrote the rules on how a live record should sound and showed the music industry how well a live album could sell. Thirty-five years later, as he celebrates the anniversary of Frampton Comes Alive!, the one-time apotheosis of the rock and roll idol proves he can still bring the music.



With Drummer Dan Wojciechowski, Frampton Takes The Crowd Back To 1976

To the sound of Jerry Pompili’s now famous introduction to the 1975 Winterland show, a less blonde but no less energetic Peter Frampton marched onto the Oregon Zoo stage and kicked into “Something’s Happening,” the regal first song of his 35th anniversary reading of Frampton Comes Alive! At age sixty-one, Frampton’s voice has a bit more grit than it did thirty-five years ago but, as a guitarist, Frampton still brings all the dexterity and fluidity that found him joining Steve Marriott to create Humble Pie as a teenager.

Following a spirited reading of “Doobie Wah,” with every one of the 2000+ fans on their feet and singing along, Frampton broke ranks from the album sequence with “Lines On My Face,” noting they were playing the original set list from the show (not the album).


The World-Famous "Framptone"

With the band in full gear, Frampton stepped from stage left to stage center and plugged into his famous “Framptone” talk box for his signature tune, “Show Me The Way.” With guitarist and keyboard player Rob Arthur filling the shoes of the late Bob Mayo on guitar (albeit acoustic this time around), the band and audience became one, all together singing the biggest anthem of the Summer of ’76.

For the next 90-minutes, it was, indeed, 1976 all over the again, the laid back lawn chair audience talking to their kids about when they first heard “Penny For Your Thoughts,” reminiscing during “All I Want To Be Is By Your Side” about Dorothy Hamill haircuts and Jordache Jeans and reminding mates that Frampton Comes Alive! was the soundtrack to a thousand teenage make out sessions and basement beer parties.

Without an intermission because, as Frampton noted, the elephants have a curfew, the zoo crowd had no time to catch its collective breath, instead diving into another hour of Frampton guitar mastery. A gutsy endeavor it was to follow an act that’s a tough act to follow….especially when that act is you. But, clearly Frampton has a great time playing the songs that formed the second set, from the politically charged ”Restraint” to the Pink Floyd-drenched instrumental “Float” to the Clapton- esque “Boot It Up.”


Frampton With Original Comes Alive! Bassist Stanley Sheldon

His tribute to his very earliest music experience — “Vaudeville Nanna and the Bajolele” — seem a bit out-of-place but his tribute to his fallen comrades – original Comes Alive! keyboardist Mayo and drummer John Siomos — did not. With Arthur at the microphone and original Comes Alive! bassist Stanley Sheldon by his side, the band ripped through Humble Pie‘s “All I Wanna Be” and “Four Day Creep.” With a grinding version of “Black Hole Sun” and a majestic reading of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” the sun set on Frampton’s day at the zoo.

At one point early in the concert, Frampton took note of the many signs and T-shirts saying “I Was There” at the Winterland show. In the words of my companion, we were all there, every time we listened to the record….and once more last Wednesday night.



Read more: Peter Frampton Revisits “Frampton Comes Alive!” 35 Years Later [Concert Review] http://cbsradio.wordpress.com/2011/...-35-years-later-concert-review/#ixzz1od1xKK3A
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Excellent post, thanks! :thmbsp: I can't believe you didn't mention "Do You Feel Like We Do" though, THAT was the anthem of a generation on drugs, LOL. :smoke: :D
 
I just talked to a guy who saw him in Windsor, Ont. and he said Frampton did some old Humble Pie songs and they were the highlight
 
Would love to hear some Humble Pie.....

Also.....with that recent story where Frampton was just reunited with his original guitar from back in the day...not sure what condition it came back in but,
Would be very kewl if that was part of the show.
 
THE best concert I ever saw.................................................

Summer of '72 in Saratoga Springs, NY

Humble Pie
Wishbone Ash
Arthur Lee & Love

Live concerts just don't get much better........................................

Steve
 
THE best concert I ever saw.................................................

Summer of '72 in Saratoga Springs, NY

Humble Pie
Wishbone Ash
Arthur Lee & Love

Live concerts just don't get much better........................................

Steve

I would have to say " Had I gone to that concert - it would have probably been my favorite to "

That being said - I'd have to say that the 2 best concerts I ever went to were:

# 1 - The Who - at LSU - 1975 ?
# 2 - The Allman Brothers, Wet Willie, Charlie Daniels, - and a bunch of not so famous others at the grand opening of the Super Dome in New Orleans - 1972 ? That concert was total insanity - the Super Dome just opening and selling hard liquor and of course all that other stuff that people brought in themselves :nono: from what I heard, more than 40,000 got in without tickets and the Allman Bros supposedly sued the Super Dome -- I told my best buddy that I went with - that if we survived and were still alive by Monday, I'd never go to anything like that again - we did survive and I did go to more like it ! Memories fade quickly I guess !

I did see Peter Frampton at the height of his popularity in Hawaii - 1972 or 3 ?

Back in the late 60's and early 70's I went to so many concerts and have forgotten more than I remember - those were great times -- not sure I could handle them now at my age - back then they never had reserved seating from what I remember - it was more or less - first ones in got the closest to the stage
 
I would have to say " Had I gone to that concert - it would have probably been my favorite to "

That being said - I'd have to say that the 2 best concerts I ever went to were:

# 1 - The Who - at LSU - 1975 ?
# 2 - The Allman Brothers, Wet Willie, Charlie Daniels, - and a bunch of not so famous others at the grand opening of the Super Dome in New Orleans - 1972 ?

I was at both of those as well. The Allman Bros., Wet Willie, Marshall Tucker, and Charlie Daniels was in 1975 and, as you said, was the inaugural event of the Superdome. I had seen the Allmans enough by then that I actually enjoyed Wet Willie the most of any band. Go figure.

The Who was in '76, I believe. Indeed a great show, although I liked Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review at the same venue a year or two later at least as much.

Back on topic - I may be the odd man out, but I much prefer Frampton's second album, Frampton's Camel, to Frampton Comes Alive. For me, Frampton Comes Alive was one of those albums that became so popular/mainstream that I tired of it quickly. Hearing "Do You Feel ..." with all the voicebox effects still grates on my nerves.
 
If Steve Marriot came back to life, and Humble Pie re-formed with Frampton, I would probably come alive myself! :banana:
However, he won't, they won't, and Peter Frampton never really did it for me after he left the band. :no:

Enjoy the show! :D
 
I was at both of those as well. The Allman Bros., Wet Willie, Marshall Tucker, and Charlie Daniels was in 1975 and, as you said, was the inaugural event of the Superdome. I had seen the Allmans enough by then that I actually enjoyed Wet Willie the most of any band. Go figure.

The Who was in '76, I believe. Indeed a great show, although I liked Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review at the same venue a year or two later at least as much.

Back on topic - I may be the odd man out, but I much prefer Frampton's second album, Frampton's Camel, to Frampton Comes Alive. For me, Frampton Comes Alive was one of those albums that became so popular/mainstream that I tired of it quickly. Hearing "Do You Feel ..." with all the voicebox effects still grates on my nerves.

WOW - that's insane that you were both of those -- the one at the Super Dome was total insanity -- I actually enjoyed the Allman Brothers a lot - BUT as you noted - I think Wet Willie was the best act -- I was probably 10 feet from the stage - same with the Allman Brothers and if I remember the first song the Allmans did was Midnight Rider -- I took my camera to that concert and got a great shot from the side of the stage of Greg Allan - with some equipment cases in front of his organ and you can see Allan Brothers stamped on the case - turned out to be a pretty cool shot. I had also forgotten about Marshall Tucker - at any rate it was a good time !
 
Back
Top Bottom