• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone tried the AMP CAMP AMP Kit?

I've built the ACA (v1.1b) 6 Watt monoblocks. Not too difficult if you have rudimentary soldering skills and have the necessary equipment. The ACAs work and sound surprisingly good so long as you have relatively efficient speakers and not too large of a room. I may have to sell my ACA (v1.1b) to build the ACA v1.6 XLR version. :)
 
I'm leaning towards to just get parts kit, the enclosure and the PSU can be had both for like $100, so overall should be $250 or so. Tapping the heatsinks is no biggie.

You can get the enclosures cheaper elsewhere, but they won't look as nice as the kit versions. If I remember correctly, they are from Italy or overseas.

Also, I would not skimp on the SMPS. The Meanwells have very good specs.
 
You can get the enclosures cheaper elsewhere, but they won't look as nice as the kit versions. If I remember correctly, they are from Italy or overseas.

Also, I would not skimp on the SMPS. The Meanwells have very good specs.

The open frame Meanwell of the same capacity I linked above is $20.
 
Well, I shopped around and given the schematic is available the inner cheapskate in me tells you can get all parts for like $60 including the China-made PCBs sans the PSU and the case (another $100), and no need to wait 4 months, hmm. I think that's what I'm going to do if I do it all. It will be a knock-off, but will likely sound just as good.
 
Well, I shopped around and given the schematic is available the inner cheapskate in me tells you can get all parts for like $60 including the China-made PCBs sans the PSU and the case (another $100), and no need to wait 4 months, hmm. I think that's what I'm going to do if I do it all. It will be a knock-off, but will likely sound just as good.
If you do put one together yourself would be interested in hearing your outcome!
 
Well, I shopped around and given the schematic is available the inner cheapskate in me tells you can get all parts for like $60 including the China-made PCBs sans the PSU and the case (another $100), and no need to wait 4 months, hmm. I think that's what I'm going to do if I do it all. It will be a knock-off, but will likely sound just as good.

I'm not judging. Just making a comment on a different point of view.
NP has a relationship with the DYI forum and does support and comments there. He also encourages DYI.
I don't think he gets any money from the sale of these kits (I don't actually know in fairness.)
Obviously you're paying (probably mostly for the chassis) but the pcbs and the convenience of one stop shopping (You can put a price on your time)
I sort of feel (just my opinion) you're under cutting the DYI community that made it possible in the first place.
Lastly , your independently sourced amp may be the sonic equivalent, it won't look as pretty.

I think it's a very good deal. They're clearly not making a killing on these.

Just my opinion.
 
Last edited:
Well, I don't think the DIY audio store and DIY community is necessarily the same thing, so I don't feel like I'm undercutting the latter. Plus IMO the spirit of DIY is more of figuring out and getting all the pieces yourself vs. paying someone to do it for you. As for the looks, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the beholder is going to keep the amp under his desk out of sight so no biggie. Yes, I do feel some moral cramps about doing it, but given the schematic was consciously made public I don't feel like I'm stealing either.
 
I think it's a very good deal. They're clearly not making a killing on these.

The only thing with me is they seem to only offer these once every so often (perhaps only once per year) and the cut off date is May 14, 3 days from now for delivery sometime several months out. I am not quite ready to buy today, but am interested in this amp. In the ad they don't seem to discourage anyone from doing it themselves and I believe there is even a parts list offered somewhere (although I haven't seen it). Seems like there isn't really any undercutting of their business, but that they were only providing these in kit form as a service. Otherwise, considering its popularity, why would a business not offer these year round?

Update: I decided what the hell I want one and decided to get onboard! Got a little excited until I got to the shipping (From EU evidently).. Note the cool $ ONE MILLION SHIPPING! wtf!! May have to reconsider! :rflmao:
Capture.JPG
 
Update: I decided what the hell I want one and decided to get onboard! Got a little excited until I got to the shipping (From EU evidently).. Note the cool $ ONE MILLION SHIPPING! wtf!! May have to reconsider! :rflmao:

Is that the price for hand-delivery over the Bering Strait by any chance?
 
The only thing with me is they seem to only offer these once every so often (perhaps only once per year) and the cut off date is May 14, 3 days from now for delivery sometime several months out. I am not quite ready to buy today, but am interested in this amp. In the ad they don't seem to discourage anyone from doing it themselves and I believe there is even a parts list offered somewhere (although I haven't seen it). Seems like there isn't really any undercutting of their business, but that they were only providing these in kit form as a service. Otherwise, considering its popularity, why would a business not offer these year round?

Update: I decided what the hell I want one and decided to get onboard! Got a little excited until I got to the shipping (From EU evidently).. Note the cool $ ONE MILLION SHIPPING! wtf!! May have to reconsider! :rflmao:
View attachment 1184507

I'm still on the fence.:idea:
A million to ship would clearly be a deal breaker for me:wtf:

My other thought. When I come to my senses, and I say, that was fun (the build) , it sounds great!, there's no place to set it up (behind the main systems) (or the now I need a matching linestage) what am I going to do with this?:crazy:
At least I have speakers to mate it too already.
My irrational side is clearly voting yes. My rational side has won the I don't need more gear (last 5 or so shoot downs
Dynaco st 70s , 3 of them under market value
Dynaco MKIIIS Also a deal
A Dyna ST 35 pristine stock
A nice beogram linear tracker (needed a little TLC) but the price was right
and most recently a minty marantz TT15S1

Good deals all. Not missing anything without
Surely I wouldn't (couldn't ) have bought them all. I could have bought any though.
The fact that I don't feel like I'm missing anything is a sign I should be listening to my rational brain:crazy:
 
The fact that I don't feel like I'm missing anything is a sign I should be listening to my rational brain:crazy:

That is a point I should be taking right now too. I am pretty darn happy with my sys as it sounds today But I have somewhat vague extensive plans in the future to replace the 45 yo 15" LF drivers with a modern JBL driver, but it would probably benefit from active crossovers which will mean getting another amp for the top end. Since these are pretty efficient drivers, and my listening levels are much lower than they used to be it is possible that one 10 wpc amp would drive the top end while my old 170 wpc Kenwood could just run the LF. Of course 2 of these amps would give me more headroom... Maybe for a million bucks they would slip a second amp in the same box?? :rolleyes:

I know, if I am so intent on improvement over what I have now that I should chuck it and start over, but it's the shipping that is the killer on that! Really, I'm glad the shipping when ballistic.. I really don't need another amp right now...
 
The only thing with me is they seem to only offer these once every so often (perhaps only once per year) and the cut off date is May 14, 3 days from now for delivery sometime several months out. I am not quite ready to buy today, but am interested in this amp. In the ad they don't seem to discourage anyone from doing it themselves and I believe there is even a parts list offered somewhere (although I haven't seen it). Seems like there isn't really any undercutting of their business, but that they were only providing these in kit form as a service. Otherwise, considering its popularity, why would a business not offer these year round?

Update: I decided what the hell I want one and decided to get onboard! Got a little excited until I got to the shipping (From EU evidently).. Note the cool $ ONE MILLION SHIPPING! wtf!! May have to reconsider! :rflmao:
View attachment 1184507

For that kind of coin you should see if they'll bring your refrigerator in the sled
 
Got an email from DIY audio store remind me to complete my transaction. For that amount of shipping cost they should give me a few weeks to recover from my coronary.. :eek:
 
From what I have read the ACA was Nelson`s way of making it very simple for the first time DIYers to build an amp. Simple pcb needing few parts, learn how to solder and away you go.
It now seems to have taken on a life of its own. People have wanted more and more, the PCB`s have changed, the kits have got larger so the price has gone up accordingly. It all comes down to what level you want to take the project on.

My level is cheap. With money being tight I went with the parts bin build.
Perforated board, point to point work with mostly used parts. Heatsinks made from some scrap ali in the shed. The power supply came from an old laptop that failed years ago.
The Pass B1 pre was something I built awhile ago but did not like it so it was thrown in the parts bin. Turns out to be a great match for the ACA.
$20.00 and a bit of work.DSC05278 a.jpg

Ugly but effective. 5 watts producing some excellent music.
I did experiment with the up grades to the 24 volt version but with the 40% increase in energy to achieve a 20% increase output I could not justify making the larger heatsinks and power supply to achieve it. (besides if I want some more watts there is the Aleph Mini or J to fall back on).
Found enough scrap material to build a box for it but have been to lazy to get on with it.

DSC05289 A.jpg

Tony
 
Back
Top Bottom