• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Apparently headphones can make a CD player skip?

TheMarco

Thrift Store Audiophile
Subscriber
So this morning I had one of those "Oh sh----t!" moments. I put on a CD through my recently acquired Philips CD-60 and it started skipping like crazy. Tried another one, more skipping.

I was half way ready to start the grieving process of this nice CD player breaking a week after I found it.

Until I removed my headphones from the top of the player. They were connected to the amp and therefore music was coming out.

As soon as I put them somewhere else the skipping was gone and hasn't come back for the rest of the day.

Is there some kind of magnetic interference between headphone drivers and CD players?

I had no idea.

Phew. Sure am glad it's not broken. Here's a pic of how they were on the player.

20210929_190617.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Maybe the vibrations from the headphones playing was enough to make the CD skip... After all they are sitting right above the transport.
 
You just learned why as you go higher up the food chain with different CDP models they tend to get heavier, with thicker sheet metal and damping material etc. And why it can be useful to put damping pucks under the feet of your player to isolate it from that speaker that is standing right next to it in the photo.

Cheers,
James
 
Possible that the headphone`s driver`s magnets field affected the player`s electromagnetic laser positioning servo device below it ?
Maybe strong rare earth magnets used in the headphone design ?

To me it seems like the headphones laying on the top of the player would have to be cranked up to ear bleeding levels to shake the player to cause it to skip, or it`s (the CD player) a poor design and would be subject to skipping if any near by speakers are cranked up !
Just some random technical thoughts, carry on.
 
Possible that the headphone`s driver`s magnets field affected the player`s electromagnetic laser positioning servo device below it ?
Maybe strong rare earth magnets used in the headphone design ?

To me it seems like the headphones laying on the top of the player would have to be cranked up to ear bleeding levels to shake the player to cause it to skip, or it`s (the CD player) a poor design and would be subject to skipping if any near by speakers are cranked up !
Just some random technical thoughts, carry on.

Yeah I was also thinking along those lines. The vibration can't be it I think. The volume wasn't loud and even if it was I think the speakers would probably shake the player more than the headphones.

It sure was weird. It was just like the CD player was toast. Skipping like crazy.
 
Thats odd. Even if the cans had very strong magnets, between the steel cover and just distance between the transport and the magnet I wouldn't expect there is enough of a field to bother anything.
 
That`s odd. Even if the cans had very strong magnets, between the steel cover and just distance between the transport and the magnet I wouldn't expect there is enough of a field to bother anything.

:dunno:
Of the various CD/BR universal players I`ve owned over the yrs. I`ve not experienced the OP`s issues, so I could only speculate about the possibilities of magnetic fields from the headphones laying on the lid causing the skipping.. Odd, it is !
 
There are two kinds of people:

1. Headphones removed and the problem solved. Good. Glad it's fixed and can move on.
2. Headphones removed and the problem solved. Why? (spend infinite brain cycles trying to figure it out until explained)

Most of us here seem to be type 2. :beerchug:
 
There are two kinds of people:

1. Headphones removed and the problem solved. Good. Glad it's fixed and can move on.
2. Headphones removed and the problem solved. Why? (spend infinite brain cycles trying to figure it out until explained)

Most of us here seem to be type 2. :beerchug:
Absolutely hahaha!
 
Back
Top Bottom