• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR-12 speakers HELP

quentello

New Member
HELP ! I just bought a set of AR-12s and someone swapped out all the OEM Midrange , Woofers and one Tweeter ! These are the worst sounding speakers I have ever owned or heard !
I can`t find any midrange speakers anywhere and not sure what 10" AR woofer from another model will work !
I did find a very nice set of NOS tweeters but nothing for the mids or woofers as the mids are no semetical like most round mids,,
Any help would be appreciated !! The boxes are in very nice shape and would love to restore them,,
Phot of the midrange
 

Attachments

  • AR-12 photo.jpg
    AR-12 photo.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 19
Register to hide this ad
The AR-12 was only available for 1 year. The midrange is propriety to the AR-12 as well. A strange design with a flat surround. So, a typical roll surround wouldn't be correct for it either, if it needs to be refoamed? To my knowledge, there are no aftermarket OEM replacements. There's only a wait and hope approach that you can find an original one. As to the woofer, that looks to be a 10" 4 Ohm design. It appears to have 4 mounting holes, so an AR-5 woofer would work in a pinch. An AR-92 woofer should be close too, as it's another 4 Ohm AR woofer.

Good luck...!

​

 
I am aware of the one year thing,, and rare from what I know,, thats why I bought them thinking I have never seen a set for sale before and what reviews I could find said they were one of the best sounding AR made m ! I may go for the AR 5- 92 woofer if I can find a set and use some aftermarket mids for now,, Ya never know,, Might find a pair someday,,
 
I have spent some time on Classic reading about the AR`s. For some reason it won`t let me sign in or post,,
You have to join CSP. Then you have to wait for Moderator approval before you can post. I've heard that approval process can be very slow. Maybe you'll have to rejoin in order to access the site again.
 
You have to join CSP. Then you have to wait for Moderator approval before you can post. I've heard that approval process can be very slow. Maybe you'll have to rejoin in order to access the site again.
LOL,, I have been a member for quite a while but every time I go to log in it says someone else is "using that email",, Then I change the password and wait for approval that never happens, I can`t even post as a guest because it asked for a email address and once I give it to them it starts all over,, "Someone is using that email". I tried contacting the moderator and still no reply.
 
HELP ! I just bought a set of AR-12s and someone swapped out all the OEM Midrange , Woofers and one Tweeter ! These are the worst sounding speakers I have ever owned or heard !
I can`t find any midrange speakers anywhere and not sure what 10" AR woofer from another model will work !
I did find a very nice set of NOS tweeters but nothing for the mids or woofers as the mids are no semetical like most round mids,,
Any help would be appreciated !! The boxes are in very nice shape and would love to restore them,,
Phot of the midrange
You will be underwater if you ever found all the drivers and there is a very low chance that would happen in years and years. Toss all the drivers and try to sell the boxes.
 
You will be underwater if you ever found all the drivers and there is a very low chance that would happen in years and years. Toss all the drivers and try to sell the boxes.
Yeah,, thought of that. I did find a pair of tweeters, at $52 and I might just use some AR mids that are close and just maybe the AR Gods find me some 12 mids and use the other 10" AR woofers as mentioned just so I can use the boxes,, If they sound good thats cool, if not ? back to the drawing board, Any ideas on what Mids would sound close ? I know they will look different,,
 
Back
Top Bottom