• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR 2 2A 2AX Woofers

2020

Active Member
Can anyone educate me regarding woofers on the Acoustic Research AR2, AR-2A, AND AR-2AX models?
Specifically, I am trying to find out if they used the same woofers.

I have tried googling this, and got more confused than ever.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. I could not find it.

Thanks for any and all help.
 
Register to hide this ad
This pertains to AR2ax speakers which I have a pair of. The early ones had cast baskets, six mounting holes and cloth surrounds. The later ones had four mounting holes, stamped baskets and foam surrounds. The early versions had a slightly larger outside diameter so they would not mount properly on the baffle board of of a "later" cabinet.
 
This pertains to AR2ax speakers which I have a pair of. The early ones had cast baskets, six mounting holes and cloth surrounds. The later ones had four mounting holes, stamped baskets and foam surrounds. The early versions had a slightly larger outside diameter so they would not mount properly on the baffle board of of a "later" cabinet.
Thanks for the info, jlovda. That helps. I had wondered if all AR2 woofers were the same, or interchangeable, and they obviously are not.
Much appreciated.
 
+1 for the Classic Speaker Pages reference. I was going to suggest it as well.

I have a pair of AR-2ax and trying to understand the differences between the woofers was not easy. CSP has many, many pages devoted to differences and it was the only way to determine which serial numbers I wanted and that the other unit I was offered as a parts unit (trashed cabinet) was not the right parts.
 
I had to replace the woofers on my 2ax's. I bought them at a flea market for $10 with perfect cabinets but Radio Shack woofers. If you are trying to find a replacement and are looking at ebay, the number of mounting holes in the pictures will tell you immediately whether the part will physically fit or not.
 
Back
Top Bottom