• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR 2ax Amp Recommendation

GR3GRS

Member
Hey all. I’m currently running a pair of AR 2ax speakers with a Marantz 2220b Receiver. I’m wondering if I’ve paired them up well or if I should be running the AR’s with more power. I don’t ever turn my volume dial up passed 50%. I have two kids at home so I’m never raging out, but am wondering if more powerful amp would sound better even at lower volumes. I just want to make sure I’m getting the most out of my speakers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
To share some of my experience with the AR2ax, having restored at least 4 pairs of these speakers, I can say that the best I’ve heard them play was with tube power. I use a Scott 222c (22 watts/channel) and also tried with a Dynaco ST70. Both with great sounding results.

What I can also say is that when I have A/B’d with AR3a’s, when using solid state power, the 2ax pairs usually sounded lifeless compared to the AR3a, a bold statement but just stating from my experiences.

On the other hand, the 2ax’s sound great and lively when AB’d with the AR3a’s using the Scott or Dynaco. The Scott wasnt a match for the AR3a’s, but the Dynaco linked up pretty well with both speakers. Both speakers were produce their best attributes, and neither outshined the other.

Final disclosure, I never have owned your receiver, nor any Marantz receivers, but my solid state choices (kenwood super eleven at 125 watts per channel and Soundcraftsmen MA 5002 at 250 watts per channel) neither sounded exceptionally well with the AR2ax, but both can sound good with the AR3a’s.
 
Back
Top Bottom