• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

AR-3 woofer replacements

TJardine

New Member
I have a pair of early AR-3 speakers, not AR-3a's. The excellent speaker repair guru here in SE Pennsylvania (I won't mention his name) will not repair AR-3 woofers any longer because the voice coils have become brittle over the past 40+ years and don't stand up any more. I've seen replacements online at ABTech Services and Simply speakers. Anyone have experience with either supplier?
 
Register to hide this ad
simply speakers : a stand up bunch of people, in my experience ....... ironically just around the corner from Banana's records retail shops .... paid them a visit last time I was in St. Pete's .... have also dealt with them online : quick / courteous / organized and fair
 
Replacements? Woofers? Voice coils? Surrounds? I'm sorry, but your statement sounds a bit ambiguous.

Look, if the VC isn't distorted or deformed in anyway I say refoam and play on. I'm really not sure where that mindset comes from but until a VC "locks up" no big. There are a number of refoam examples on Youtube and maybe even one for an AR woofer.

Guru? I doubt it.
 
what needs to be repaired? i thought AR3s, like the early AR3as had cloth surrounds and not foam.
 
Why need a woofer?
Gut the woofers and get a good sub.

Paul
There are many more subs out there that "wish" they could dig like an AR3(3a) speaker. Not saying there aren't any that dig deeper, but of the ones I've owned none could keep up. I like that I don't NEED a sub. Blessings of the AR3 speakers.
 
According to the restoration guide only the 3 and early 3a had cloth. Both my 3a pairs have foam.


Exactly. the OP states he has 3s, not 3As. so they should have cloth surrounds and not need new surrounds. if he is having a problem with the woofer, it could very well be the VC or something with the spider, or something inside the cab has come loose, or the crossover.

we need more detail
 
I have a pair of early AR-3 speakers, not AR-3a's. The excellent speaker repair guru here in SE Pennsylvania (I won't mention his name) will not repair AR-3 woofers any longer because the voice coils have become brittle over the past 40+ years and don't stand up any more. I've seen replacements online at ABTech Services and Simply speakers. Anyone have experience with either supplier?
I should have been more clear. I am looking to replace the defective original woofer with one from AB Tech Services or Simply Speakers. I wanted to get some feedback from others who may have installed their replacement for the AR-3. Miller Sound will no longer repair AR-3 woofers. The voice coil has become damaged (smashed).
 
You first should try to find a used AR3 or 3a woofer before getting a new 'drop in' unit from the vendors you listed. A used original will blend best with your other AR3 woofer.
 
You first should try to find a used AR3 or 3a woofer before getting a new 'drop in' unit from the vendors you listed. A used original will blend best with your other AR3 woofer.
Not to mention they turn up rather frequently and aren't always cost prohibitive.
 
To underscore what Spkrdtr states, a future buyer (should you ever wish to sell these) will be really turned off by a non original replacement.
 
Back
Top Bottom