• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR-6 Review + Comparison Pics: AR-3a, AR-4x, AR-6, AR-7

Beautiful speakers and nice write up. Those speaker stands are interesting. Are they AR stands or made for them or just something you cobbled together? The speakers and room look great BTW. Norm
 
Actually, the only stands that are original AR stands are the ones for the AR-3a.

The other stands are simple old & adjustable ones that I've picked up here and there. I sanded & stained them to match the speakers.

One pair of stands has not been stained yet - they are next in line. I will get them to match the AR-6 speakers. They are too large to use with AR-7.

I would like to find 2 matching pairs of stands for both pairs of AR-7s.
 
Eunomians, Beautiful speakers. I have a pair of 4x in line to work on. I'm guessing you've refinished them and put new grill cloth on them. Really nice!
Where did you get the cloth for the grills?
 
I also have a single AR-2a. Hoping the guy who gave it to me finds the other one...
Any opinions on the 2a?
 
I have owned AR-2, AR-2x and AR-2ax. Out of the three, I liked AR-2ax the best - but only after several long A/B/C comparing sessions.

I have never heard the somewhat uncommon AR-2a. This speaker was introduced after the AR-2 but before the AR-2x & AR-2ax respectively. The AR-2a was the first adjustment to the high frequency modification done to the original AR-2's dull highs. So, in essence, it is the high end that was what was modified throughout the '2' series. The 2ax had the best overall dispersion relative to the others.

The 2x and 2ax are more similar in their high-end sound, and the original AR-2 comes across as fairly 'muted' or pretty dull in the highs. I would gather that the AR-2a would sound significantly better than the AR-2 in the highs dept.

As per ususal though, all 2 series had outstanding bass for relatively small enclosures thanks to good ol' acoustic suspension.

I regret selling the AR-2. I could not get the stapled or glued grills off without cutting through the grill material.

I sold off the 2x and 2ax in a flurry of spending spree guilt a while back. Do I regret selling them? Hell yeah. I'm gonna go back onto the scene to try and score a decent pair of AR-2ax soon.
 
Eunomians,

This would be an excellent write-up for Marc Marcantonio's audio mag, Affordable $$ Audio, I'm thinking.

You should approach him with this.

Your writing is entertaining, engaging, and eloquently written.

Good job!
 
Eunomians,

Nice pictures & nice cats. Have you redone the grill cloth or is it original? Was the original AR grill cloth a natural beige linen or white? I know that my AR-4xs didn't have their current, um, patina of brownish marbly stains on the grills when new.

Tom
 
I have redone all of the grills with a cloth that is similar to the stock cloth.

The original cloth was an open weave off-white color linen.

The replacement material that I've used is a tighter weave, but very similar in color to the OEM cloth. The only 2 differences is that the replacement is a tighter weave and it has specks of brown in it.

I have one pair of AR-7s with the original cloth on it because the material is in mint condition. I keep it around as a reference point. Arrrgh, these are the only AR speaker that I have that are vinyl venner! My other pair of AR-7s are wood veneer. I'm gonna veneer them once I figure out how to get the sh*tty vinyl off of them.
 
Great review! It was interesting to see how AR gave the speaker a 3db hump to give the perception of more bass than there is. I am impressed by the distortion levels, very low for the age of the speaker. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom