• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR weight of counterweight? I need one or weight to make one up

Robertb58

New Member
Just got a functional AR XA today. It came with a Stanton DJ cart and no counterweight to "help" with tracking. I can make one fairly easily if someone would weigh theirs and let me know the weight. Thanks in advance, Robert
 
Register to hide this ad
98.5 grams, 1.095" in diameter. Shaft hole has .045" of thickness in the wall. The hole diameter is .381". Obviously, the counterweight hole is not centered.

If you would like a drawing of it, I can make one and send it to you via some agreed format,.

'ner
 
I recently picked up one too. Are you referring to the brass counterweight that goes on the tail end of the arm? My digital scale measures 3.48 oz, or 98.8 grams.
 
As WayneR pointed out, the hole is way off center. For a reason. the main mass of the counterweight has to be in line with the pivots. the masses given are correct. 100 grams, or slightly more or less.
 
Thanks all! Using the info from WaynerN, for fun I calculated a length of 0.852", assuming the density of the grub screw is about the same as brass, LOL. I am an engineer, also, can't help it. Can someone confirm so I can make one up? Approximately is close enough.
 
Last edited:
Thanks all! Using the info from WaynerN, for fun I calculated a length of 0.852", assuming the density of the grub screw is about the same as brass, LOL. I am an engineer, also, can't help it. Can someone confirm so I can make one up? Approximately is close enough.

Well then.....some more math for you. The ratio is 7-1. If you are planning to change the headshell end mass, to keep the C/W in relative position to the pivots, every gram added at headshell is offset by 7 grams at the C/W
 
There was a thread here not too awful long ago where someone machined up a couple of nice XA counter weights of a little different size and weight.
They looked great too and impressive.
I've done a search for it but I can't seem find it.
 
There was a thread here not too awful long ago where someone machined up a couple of nice XA counter weights of a little different size and weight.
They looked great too and impressive.
I've done a search for it but I can't seem find it.


AK'r Flasher
 
That's the one!
Flasher1
Here's an image of the counter weight and I'll try to post a link too.
Offical AR Turntable Owners Thread

Not sure if this link will work but this is the thread. (Not my spelling:D)
Flasher1 here. I did the heavier counterweights. Or rather a machinest did them for me.
Did you need a stock counterweight or a "heavy" counterweight? I have both.
Larry Spence
Vintage Analog Restoration
 
Flasher1 here. I did the heavier counterweights. Or rather a machinest did them for me.
Did you need a stock counterweight or a "heavy" counterweight? I have both.
Larry Spence
Vintage Analog Restoration
Here you go OP....
I'd call this service with a smile:biggrin:.
Only on AK, huh?
 
I have one of Larry's heavier counterweights and it is well made. It is about 26 grams heavier than the original and allows me to use the 9 gram Ortofon Quintet Bronze on my XB. Thanks Larry!
 
Communication underway with Larry. This will be the icing on the cake along with marcs tweaked tonearm and AvFan's woodwork. Down the road I should send this out and have a complete makeover performed. It deserves to sound as good as it looks.
 
$35 + $5 S&H
Will that work for you?
If so, I can pack it up and send it tomorrow.
I'll need your shipping info etc.
Regards,
Larry Spence
Vintage Analog Restoration
I know this is 4 years after the fact Larry but can you still get XA counterweights?
 
Back
Top Bottom