• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR2ax Woofer Buzzing?

Burbin

New Member
Hello everyone,

I have a pair of AR2ax speakers that have developed a buzzing noise coming from one of the woofers. When I pulled the woofer out and tested it with a tone generator, it seems that 400 hz or so starts producing a buzz that kind of sounds like a bee or a tornado siren. It also seems to come and go, one second it will sound find then the next it will buzz. I thought maybe it was the tinsel lead vibration fast against the cone but have eliminated that as well. The buzzing will also cease if I place a slight pressure on the cone or dust cap. Was just curious what people would think to be a next step of trouble shooting. I feel like the voice coil might be dirty or shot? Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Woofer in question is the cloth surround type, when its not buzzing it sounds great :(
 
Register to hide this ad
Check the Masonite ring the surround is glued to to make sure the ring hasn’t started lifting fro the basket, and check the spider to make sure it’s also not lifting.
 
I did the ring and spider glue down when I first got them. They were loose and rattling. I hadn’t gone through them yet and replaced caps, checked the pots, etc as they had been working pretty flawlessly.

I’ll try to get an audio clip of it tomorrow.

Thanks friend,
 
That's sad...Try pushing gently on regions ( Lets say, north, south, east and west like ) of the woofer.
If it stops buzzing, put some ( light ) weigh on that regions ( speaker on it's back )
Let sit overnight.

That is a '' last chance saloon '' solution; not very sexy.
But.

it has worked for me.

Wish you the best.

* the AR2ax does not have a Masonite ring as I remember.. bur SAX6 is gettin' old
 
I think there is a masonite spacer between the frame and the surround on the older woofers. It isn't particularly visible - not like the original Advent masonite ring.
But it may be under the spider - sax6 isn't the only person with senior moments.
 
Back
Top Bottom