• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are chord electronics really that good? I want a new DAC (drug...)

blame vinyl

Member
:biggrin:I've fallen down a rabbit hole after buying my first DAC... a simple topping e30. Loving the sound improvement over no DAC prior and am looking to upgrade . Out of my research I've kinda locked in on Chord products like the Qutest and Mojo 2... the mojo 2 being more of my budget. I'd love to hear opinions on the chord line but also other suggestions for great DACs that people are enjoying...that won't break the bank! Thanks as always :music:( listening on spendor sp2/2 sansui aux 11
 
Register to hide this ad
:biggrin:I've fallen down a rabbit hole after buying my first DAC... a simple topping e30. Loving the sound improvement over no DAC prior and am looking to upgrade . Out of my research I've kinda locked in on Chord products like the Qutest and Mojo 2... the mojo 2 being more of my budget. I'd love to hear opinions on the chord line but also other suggestions for great DACs that people are enjoying...that won't break the bank! Thanks as always :music:( listening on spendor sp2/2 sansui aux 11
Chord is a good Brand for DACs…but I’m enjoying my new SCHIIT MIMIR DAC with the FORKBEARD module…really like the Loudness & EQ control on the FORKBEARD Also has balance featureIMG_0731.jpeg
 
I bought both my Qutests used for about half what they go for new. Even so, I think a DAC is about the analog. The D to A is a solved problem and pretty much any reputable manufacturer can do that. It's the analog output and filters that make the difference. Just like with most audio products, the only way to know is to try. Maybe borrow a Qutest or Mojo from someone so you can try it?
 
I have been happy with the sound of the SMSL VMV D2r dac. It uses a Rohm dac chip found in Luxman cd players and dac that cost a lot more than the SMSL. A friend has a Burson Conductor dac that I have heard and it sounds good.
 
If I recall correctly, Chord was one of the first companies to develop their own proprietary conversion circuit and it has been very successful for them. So they are somewhat unique in not using DAC chips (R2R converters aside). I don't think you can go wrong with Chord. But they have always been a little on the expensive side. I have never owned one, so I cannot speak to value. For a long time, the Chord Dave topped most of the reviews and was a benchmark of comparison for many high end products. They are a very successful product, so there are a lot of used ones out there.
 
I have a Chord Qutest. Its a good DAC. There are probably as good or better for less money these days. Audio Science Review has reviewed lots of DACs, might want to look there.
 
I have a Chord Qutest. Its a good DAC. There are probably as good or better for less money these days. Audio Science Review has reviewed lots of DACs, might want to look there.
The new SMSL SU-2 I bought sounds great for not that much money.
Its a basic DAC though. No bells and whistles like Bluetooth, etc., but does have the latest ESS processor ans has both optical and coaxial connections. SMSL omitted the USB connection on the SU-2 though. But the earlier SU-1 has USB.
I wanted a seperate transport and DAC and I've been pretty happy with the SMSL separates so far.
 
If I recall correctly, Chord was one of the first companies to develop their own proprietary conversion circuit and it has been very successful for them. So they are somewhat unique in not using DAC chips (R2R converters aside). I don't think you can go wrong with Chord. But they have always been a little on the expensive side. I have never owned one, so I cannot speak to value. For a long time, the Chord Dave topped most of the reviews and was a benchmark of comparison for many high end products. They are a very successful product, so there are a lot of used ones out there.

Rob Watts (great name for the industry) developed custom FPGA based conversion circuits when he was co-owner of DPA (Deltec Precision Audio) and that was in the early to mid 90's, I imagine he took a lot of that experience with him to Chord.

They have quite the following, and still command high prices for 30+ year old DACs, still haven't found better for CD playback.
 
Back
Top Bottom